Most recorded jazz musician of all-time?

televiper

A friend and I have been debating this for awhile but we are having a hard time finding stats. I know Milt Hinton is on record as saying he had over 1,200 sessions to his name. Ron Carter must also be up there. Other names I've heard mentioned include Art Blakey and Billy Higgins. Is there a place where I could get reliable information on this? Thanks.

EDIT~! I apologize if this should be in the discography section...

Edited by televiper

A friend and I have been debating this for awhile but we are having a hard time finding stats. I know Milt Hinton is on record as saying he had over 1,200 sessions to his name. Ron Carter must also be up there. Other names I've heard mentioned include Art Blakey and Billy Higgins. Is there a place where I could get reliable information on this? Thanks.

EDIT~! I apologize if this should be in the discography section...

Roy Haynes must be in the running. In January WKCR presented a marathon of records on which he appears. Playing 24 hours a day, the session took more than 12 days and lasted for 301 hours! :blink: I confess to missing the occasional track. ;)

I think it's either Plas Johnson, Cornell Dupree or Bernard Purdie. Probably Plas. I think Purdie's 7,000 recording sessions may be an exaggeration. Plas claims over 5,000. Idris Muhammad must be up there somewhere, too.

Then there are all those guys like Bernie Glow, Al Klink and Romeo Penque, who seemed to work on every record ever made in Hollywood. 'Course, they may not count as jazz musicians :)

MG

I think it's either Plas Johnson, Cornell Dupree or Bernard Purdie. Probably Plas. I think Purdie's 7,000 recording sessions may be an exaggeration. Plas claims over 5,000. Idris Muhammad must be up there somewhere, too.

Then there are all those guys like Bernie Glow, Al Klink and Romeo Penque, who seemed to work on every record ever made in Hollywood. 'Course, they may not count as jazz musicians :)

MG

Bernie Glow, Al Klink and Romeo Penque were based in New York City, not Hollywood.

No mention of Milt Hinton.

First name mentioned in first post. I think he was also mentioned as a serious candidate in that other thread, along with a couple of other bassists (Brown, Carter, Duvivier) and drummers.

I'm not sure there is even any supreme being who knows the answer to this.

MG

Bernie Glow, Al Klink and Romeo Penque were based in New York City, not Hollywood.

Yes, I should have noticed. Too obsessed with Plas Johnson's 5,000 sessions.

:)

MG

Yes, I should have noticed. Too obsessed with Plas Johnson's 5,000 sessions.

I am obsessed with the two albums he recorded with Les Baxter, "Jungle Jazz" and "African Jazz." These must be reissued NOW.

Perhaps you should write to Mosaic and ask them to issue a twofer. I'm sure Michael Cuscuna loves Baxter.

Tell him, I'll buy them, too. I'm sure that'll make all the difference. :D

MG

The Lord Discography index lists 1,198 sessions for Milt Hinton, 1,098 for Ron Carter, 988 for Hank Jones.

The others do not qualify (Plas Johnson 267, Bernard Purdie 321...)

How many sessions for Billy Higgins?

Higgins 475

Shelly Manne 830

Osie Johnson 669

Mel Lewis 619

Gene Krupa 600

Buddy Rich 591

Jo Jones 509

Kenny Clarke 507