CONTEST: 2009 Grey Cup game

It's that time of year again! It's time for the annual Grey Cup contest.

(Past winners have included Noj, brownie and Shane/indestructible.)

Here are the rules:

1) Pick the winning team.

2) Pick the number of total points scored by both teams. (aka the tiebreaker)

Since approximately half of us will pick the winning team, picking the total points is necessary to win the contest. Your total points prediction must be a number which is a multiple of five (5).

The winning tiebreaker will be the one closest to the correct answer. If two are equally close, the winner will be the lower pick.

If two people pick the same thing, the first to make the pick will be the winner.

THE PRIZE: Your choice of one CD from the list of CDs I have available for sale here: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...&hl=Factory

Deadline: kickoff, Sunday Nov. 29, 6:00 pm eastern.

The Grey Cup game: The Grey Cup is awarded to the world champion of what I think is the greatest game in the world, Canadian rules football. That is to say, the champion of the Canadian Football League.

This year's game will be played by the Eastern champion Montreal Alouettes and the Western champion Saskatchewan Roughriders.

The location of the game is chosen years in advance. This year's game will be played in the western city of Calgary. You can expect that there will be many more Roughrider fans there than Als fans.

Montreal was by far the dominant team in the league this year, finishing with a 15-3 record. Saskatchewan finished with the second best record, 10-7-1.

The game's kickoff will be at 6:00 pm eastern, so that time has been designated the deadline for this contest.

You can listen to the game here:

http://www.am770chqr.com/index.aspx

(To listen to the game, you will need Windows Media Player which you can download for free. So you might want to plan ahead if you don't already have it.)

You can study the season as it has developed with the CFL thread, which I will be updating during the course of this week.

Good luck!

Here's my pick (same as last year):

Montreal, 50 points

Edited by GA Russell

Montreal - 45 points

I am so angry that the Stamps won't be able to play for the Cup in front of their home fans. The up side is that my dad (a lifelong Riders fan) will be at the game (he lives an hour west of Calgary). I'm cheering for the 'Riders... but Montreal is just too good this year.

Cheers,

Shane

The league has downplayed this anniversary, instead planning to celebrate the 100th game in Toronto in 2012.

Well of course... Toronto is the center of the universe in Canada, especially to those at the CBC (TSN as well). It's a major inconvenience to have to refer to any of the other cities/provinces, or give them any credit. How else can anyone explain the fact that the Maple Leafs are ALWAYS on Hockey Night in Canada, even though they've been a horrible franchise for the better part of 40 years?

To get this thread back on track... somebody please pick the 'Riders to win! Given the fact that there are always tons of green-clad 'Riders fans in the stands whenever they play the Stamps in Calgary, the Grey Cup crowd will probably be comprised of at least 75% 'Riders fans... that's gotta mean something, right?

Cheers,

Shane

... somebody please pick the 'Riders to win! Given the fact that there are always tons of green-clad 'Riders fans in the stands whenever they play the Stamps in Calgary, the Grey Cup crowd will probably be comprised of at least 75% 'Riders fans... that's gotta mean something, right?

I expect that many of you are not aware of the 1986 Grey Cup game, which was broadcast on ESPN. The Edmonton Eskimos were expected to pummel the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, but the Ticats clobbered them from start to finish, winning 39-15.