The Jazz police

umum_cypher

I liked this bit

The jazz purist claimed his doctor had warned it was "psychologically inadvisable" for him to listen to anything that could be mistaken for mere contemporary music.

:D

MG

I liked this bit

The jazz purist claimed his doctor had warned it was "psychologically inadvisable" for him to listen to anything that could be mistaken for mere contemporary music.

:D

MG

Actually, I only liked it once.

MG

I was listening to Tom McDermott's quartet at Donna's in New Orleans a couple of years ago - Rick Trolsen on trombone, Matt Perrine on bass and tuba, and the King of Treme, Shannon Powell, on drums. They played traditional repertoire, but took it pretty out at times. Donna's is right on rough-and-tumble North Rampart Street. The guys had just taken "Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gave to Me" to the outermost limit when a police car, siren blasting, pulled up nearby. They all looked at each other, started laughing, and simultaneously said, "The Jazz Police!"

Edited by jeffcrom

• 2 weeks later...

I am shocked by Wynton Marsalis's search for this purist fan but I am also shocked by your use of the term 'Jazz Nazis'.

Nazis I know what they were and what they did. This is a different world and a different time.

Why not change the title of this thread?

How about 'The Jazz Fundamentalists'? Or whatever... but leave the nazis out of all this!

I am shocked by Wynton Marsalis's search for this purist fan but I am also shocked by your use of the term 'Jazz Nazis'.

Nazis I know what they were and what they did. This is a different world and a different time.

Why not change the title of this thread?

How about 'The Jazz Fundamentalists'? Or whatever... but leave the nazis out of all this!

So would you rename the Seinfeld episode The Soup Fundamentalist? :huh:

Agree with Brownie.

Calling the cops because you think the music is "not jazz" is silly (even if by purist criteria it may be so, this "fan" ought to have known better, given that a lot of "recent" jazz falls into the "anything goes" category, like it or not). And making a hero out of somebody like this is even sillier (though maybe just a cleverly launched publicity stunt).

But it definitely is not a case of a "jazz nazi". A term like this is way beyond reason.

I a) haven't heard much Larry Ochs and b) have no desire to get into the debate of what jazz is for the 10000th time, but I heard Ochs's bandmate Steve Adams recently and that cat can DEFINITELY play bop backwards and forwards. Even though his band was comprised of a laptop plinking out all kinds of weird stuff instead of a drummer and bassist, you could tell that he had mastered the language.

I am hoping WM is just kidding around. If not, he is even more of a flaming asshole than even I could imagine.

I rather think that it's the Guardian who is kidding around, and Wynton has nothing to do with this story. The article reads like a jazz insider joke to me.

My theory is that Wynton himself send this Raphael or Ramon himself to the Larry Ochs concert, and because he's the prime suspect of jazz fundamentalism, he's now actively playing the innocent. ;)

Edited by Claude

I am hoping WM is just kidding around. If not, he is even more of a flaming asshole than even I could imagine.

I rather think that it's the Guardian who is kidding around, and Wynton has nothing to do with this story. The article reads like a jazz insider joke to me.

My theory is that Wynton himself send this Raphael or Ramon himself to the Larry Ochs concert, and because he's the prime suspect of jazz fundamentalism, he's now actively playing the innocent. ;)

Coming to think of it (and to re-read the sotry), you've got a point there.

But wouldn't they expose themselves to a lawsuit if they stuck a story like that on somebody just like that?

Anyway, I think it's not so much WM's action but the term "Jazz Nazi" that is controversial.

If you have to use strong words to describe this kind of jazz funamentalist (?), you might as well call him a

JAZZ TALIBAN.

Or would that strike other sensitivities? ;)

Anyway, it's something to get part of this morning's Guardian online from Seattle before retail outlets are open to buy it here! Incidentally, their letters page has been publishing weak jokes for days about the jazz police being on the beat, etc, etc.

Edited by BillF

Guest Bill Barton

Well, sheesh, sorry if I offended anyone with the original title of the thread - my apologies - but I was so floored by the absolute hilarity of the idea that Marsalis would actually seek out this dude that the term seemed apropos, and it's certainly been used before. The original Guardian story about the Spanish fan was an eye-roller and this follow-up was an eye-roller and a head-scratcher.