Looking for advice re: buying a bass

Face of the Bass

So I've decided that, as a New Year's resolution, I want to buy myself a double bass and start to learn how to play it. I know nothing at this point and so was wondering if anyone out there has any advice for good models to start out on, good methods/programs of instruction to pursue, or basically any advice whatsoever that you can offer me.

Thanks in advance.

1st, find a good teacher that can help you find a good upright bass, provide instruction, etc. Once finding a bass, getting it set-up comfortable for you to play is another important step and someone who already plays can be a great help with that too.

2nd, go to www.talkbass.com and go to their double bass forum. Lot's of great information and discussions on buying basses, books, etc.

I have two double basses, luckily I was able to find these for a reasonable price, as you know they can be very expensive, but I had to do some major (in the case of one of them) and minor adjustments before they could be played properly.

Best of luck in your hunt for a bass!!

Bob Gollihur Bass Pages provides a lot of good resources, including a directory of luthiers. Bob also sells basses, I see student model Englehardts starting at less than the $1200 you name as the top of your range. Bob has a good reputation, but you will need a relationship with a local luthier sooner or later. Your profile doesn't give your location so I can't go any further with that.

I recommend getting instruction if you can afford it. Most instructors will use the Simandl method, which I have found to be very satisfactory during my years of playing.

Thanks for the advice so far. I've registered on talkbass.com and checked out the Gollihur Music site. The other thing which I'm wondering whether it will be a factor or not is my height. I'm 6'7" tall (about 2.0 meters). Will that matter when choosing a bass or do most of them come in the same size?

Most people play basses that are 3/4 size. Larger than that are somewhat impractical - I'm not sure if anyone even uses a full size - I've never seen one. There is no standard size for basses - they tend to all be a bit different depending on the maker.

Your height will be compensated for by the endpin, which is adjustable. I don't know if you will need a special endpin given your height - when you find an instructor he or she could tell you, or your luthier.

You're in for a lot of fun - it's a great instrument to know. Do you aspire to play jazz?

I have a full-size and enjoy the sound. You'll be like Ron Carter! Quite easily adjustable to your height. I don't learn seriously, have a lot of fun with my bass though, it's not a great one but not the worst I've had my hands on either. Paid 1,000 for mine, used.

I think you'll get into it! You've got the right idea: get an instructor. I should some day.

Good luck on your search. You've gotten some good advice already in this thread.

When you're ready to upgrade to a fancy schmanzy bass, you can check out Robertson's here in Albuquerque. Folks come from all over the world to check out their inventory of basses (and other stringed instruments). They don't list the prices of their super high-end basses online, but there are several over $100,000!!!

I believe they have some "famous" instruments, such as basses owned by Al McKibbon and Eugene Wright.

All the bass fiddle players I ever played with had full-size basses. They are not rare at all. I've never seen a 3/4 size model.

Face, are you interested in the electric bass (which I play)? The acoustic has a way better tone, of course, but the electric is much easier to play, and anyone with a good ear can extract a decent tone out of it. The frets make life a lot easier too. There is no way that I'm going to tackle a bass fiddle. I've often wondered how guys can remember where to put their LH fingers on them!

S, I actually prefer fretless electric basses, they're easier for me to play. One (an American Fender Deluxe) has line markers where frets would be, so that's a plus for those who are used to frets. The other, a hand-made Wishbass by Steve Wishnevsky doesn't and has a neck very much like a bass violin's, very expressive bass and fun to play.

What you all are describing as "full-size" basses are actually 3/4. It's mostly semantics, but it's relevant because sometimes symphony players will use a 7/8 size, and there are 1/2 size basses around with somewhat smaller bodies - Kay made a lot of 1/2 sizes at one time, I'm not sure why, maybe for younger students.

Anyway, I'm not trying to hijack this thread. Let us know how you make out with your purchase. Another source for an entry level bass would be craigslist. I had my bass in the shop in November and my luthier was telling me that a lot of entry level basses are entering the market right now due to the economy. Be very careful of inexpensive Chinese basses though - a lot were made of wood that had not been aged properly and as it dries it shrinks and the seams come apart - very expensive to repair. This is not true of all of them, but you should exercise care if buying one. An Eberhardt or a Knilling would be a good choice, also a Kay if you are lucky enough to find one (they have collector appeal and so tend to be more expensive).