Lhasa de Sela (1972-2010)

Van Basten II

http://communities.canada.com/montrealgazette/blogs/wordsandmusic/archive/2010/01/03/montreal-singer-lhasa-de-sela-dies-of-cancer-at-37.aspx,

She was born in a nomadic family that worked in a traveling circus which brought her numerous contact with different cultures and a quite unique lifestyle. Living to the Jacques Brel way of living that living a short full life is better than long and empty, the great i guess would call her world beat singer Lhasa passed away from breast cancer, not knowing she was sick, you can now imagine my shock.

Her most famous recording remains her first one La Llorona (The crying women) , a suite of very sad, melancolic songs sang dramatically. The follow up called The Living Road was in a similar vein although a bit more folkish but with songs in French and English. Finally she did an album last year called simply Lhasa that was more raw, her voice changed a lot , gone were the melodramatic inflections and she seem to have a deeper voice on it, at times folk at times country. But no matter she still had an unforgettable haunting voice She also did collaborate with the group The Tindersticks

DSC_9908LhasaDeSela.jpg

Edited by Van Basten II

A major shock for wifey and I. Her first album is possibly, no exageration, amoung my 20 favorite albums, and that after 40 years of record collecting...

We have our own experiance of breast cancer, so far with a happier outcome, but this disease has a tendancy to be chronic and turn up out of the blue again at any time. That Lhasa was unaware that she had the illness is tragic and of course meant that the outcome was unavoidable. horrible news.

They should be enough video material around to produce a nice music DVD. I've just ordered her new cd.

She was one of the few young singer that was able to emotionally move me.

Maybe like Eva Cassidy her biggest successes will be after her death!! It is just so freaking unfair.