Any Zune users here?

Tom in RI

I've got four - three 30GBs and one 32GB HD.

Needless to say, I love them. I only use them as music players, so I can't comment on the web browsers, movie players and such. But mine have been absolutely reliable (despite some hard traveling) and easy to use. Sound quality - well, they're MP3 players. They offer a variety of encodings and bit rates; again, I've been satisfied. Probably best of all, they're not iPods. (That's more of a comment about me and my dislike of the "easy solution"/trendy/mainstream than it is about the Apple product.)

I own and 30 GB and an 80GB Zune. I use them only as music players as well.

I actually like the Zune software and think they are preferable to the iPod as pure music players.

Zunes are great partly because they are much cheaper than iPods. I purchased both mine for under $100 and accessories (interface with my receiver for $10, standalone speaker dock for $40) can be found cheaply as well.

For gym/workout I use a small Sandisk Clip player which is quite nice.

I think some people favor a player from Cowon which is supposed to have good sound and also supports FLAC along with many video codecs. Cons for the Cowon include the user interface and also some reviewers find the unit itself a little flimsy. I personally have never seen on except online. A lot of reviews name the mp3 players from Sony as best sounding but I am put off buy the price and they only have flash memory, the largest player from Sony here in the US market is, I think, 32 gig. From what I have read, Microsoft updates firmware for existing Zunes every time they issue an new Zune so I thought I might pick up a deal on an 80 gig Zune. I am still using mini disc (stop that snickering) so you can see I don't rush into anything.

Do keep in mind - important! - that there are the old-era Zunes and the new "HD" series (only in 16GB and 32GB sizes) They all have FM radios (another reason I strongly prefer Zunes); the new ones have HD FM receivers....plus touch screens and a heap more features. Check out http://www.zune.net.

That said, as pure "players" the old Zunes are great. And they come in sizes up to 80GB. You can pick up a 30GB (now discontinued) as a refurb or old stock for about $60. That's a deal.

You can pick up a 30GB (now discontinued) as a refurb or old stock for about $60. That's a deal.

I should clarify. It's a deal on yesterday's technology. It's still perfectly functional, but if you've got to have something close to cutting-edge (which I don't)... Again, for emphasis: FM Radio! (Can't believe I didn't mention in my first post.) I Love It.

Edited by BeBop

• 2 months later...

Well, I now have a Zune 80 gig picked up from Craigslist a couple of weeks ago. I've managed to get about 16 gigs onto it so far, I am ripping at 256. On the one hand, it is borderline shocking how little documentation comes with this thing. On the other hand, it has been reasonably easy to figure out (with peeks at several Zune forums). I like it enough so far that if I manage to fill this up I will likely seek out one of the 120 gig models still around at a steep discount from their "brand new" price. One thing that has been good is I am ripping box sets that I am often too lazy to grab off the shelf.

• 2 months later...

As the person who made the last post here and talked up the Zen......I'm now looking into getting a Zune (32GB HD). They're very impressive looking. Much smaller than my Zen and apparently much more functional. The few reviews I've read make it sound like the ideal music player.

As the person who made the last post here and talked up the Zen......I'm now looking into getting a Zune (32GB HD). They're very impressive looking. Much smaller than my Zen and apparently much more functional. The few reviews I've read make it sound like the ideal music player.

I've had mine since they came out. (Bought on preorder.)

I do like it quite a bit. I don't think there's anything I can do to sell you/anyone on this device beyond saying that my experience with five Zunes (four first generation; one 32GB HD) FAR exceeded my experience with my predecessor Creatives....except for my 30GB xTra, which still works today, after a long, hard life. The device's features speak for themselves.

BFrank, if you get the Cowon, let us know how you like it. I got a Zune 120 for Father's Day (at least, my kids said they had ordered it). My experience with the Zune 80 have been positive. The only real gripe I have is that the battery is not easily changed. I guess Microsoft hopes people will just buy a new player when the battery goes, but there are places that will replace the battery for a reasonable fee.

BFrank, if you get the Cowon, let us know how you like it. I got a Zune 120 for Father's Day (at least, my kids said they had ordered it). My experience with the Zune 80 have been positive. The only real gripe I have is that the battery is not easily changed. I guess Microsoft hopes people will just buy a new player when the battery goes, but there are places that will replace the battery for a reasonable fee.

I don't think many of those players let you change the battery, do they? My Zen doesn't. But then again, I've had it for about 5 years and it still works fine.