Nominations for future "albums of the week"

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another idea that would likely spark lots of deep discussion...

I just realized tonight that I haven't listened to Ornette's "Free Jazz" (along with "First Take") in ages and ages, probably over two years, maybe even closer to 4

Might make for an interesting "Album of the Week", perhaps???

Guest Mnytime

How about having a recording of the week for past and current releases?

Past recording I nominate would be

Miles Davis-Steamin'

Current nominee

Anthony Braxton-Solo (NYC) 2002

How about having a recording of the week for past and current releases?

Past recording I nominate would be

Miles Davis-Steamin'

Current nominee

Anthony Braxton-Solo (NYC) 2002

I think that is a great idea. One album a week isn't enough for me.

I mostly know older recordings, so it would be nice to be turned on to some new stuff.

:rsmile:

I just realized tonight that I haven't listened to Ornette's "Free Jazz" (along with "First Take") in ages and ages, probably over two years, maybe even closer to 4

I think that's a really good one - has the attraction of being seminal, but not as 'here we go again' as 'Kind of Blue'!

For that same reason, maybe Coltrane's Ascension would be worth a spin?

Edited by Red

I think that's a really good one - has the attraction of being seminal, but not as 'here we go again' as 'Kind of Blue'!

For that same reason, maybe Coltrane's Ascension would be worth a spin?

I'd love to do Ascension or some Ornette Coleman.

:D

Stretching the limits a bit, chronologically and stylistically...

Some Lester w/Basie from late thirties, or Jones-Smith, Inc.

Some Lester w/Billie

Anthony Braxton - For Alto

Mezz Mezzrow - Pick it

Definitely some Satchmo

ODJB

Second: Ornette circa 1959

Looking forward to starting to participate.

Edited by BeBop

Some Lester w/Basie from late thirties, or Jones-Smith, Inc.

Some Lester w/Billie

Yes sir, I've been getting into Pres in a big way these past eight months or so (just got A MUSICAL ROMANCE compilation w/ Lady Day today). I'd definitely be contributing if some of these albums came up for discussion.

Perhaps before we listen to Pres, it would be useful to get some perspective on the tenor saxophone BEFORE Pres came on the scene.

After Pres' arrival, it seems that his approach was emulated so often that it became the norm (Getz, Gray, Sims, Eager...) But Pres was a groundbreaker.

Accordingly, let's set the stage with a little Coleman Hawkins.

Hawk with Benny Carter from the early 30s. A little Chocolate Dandies, perhaps. Maybe something with Wayman Carver on flute. (Trying to think of one recording with all these elements...)

And our Pres review might benefit from the inclusion of some work on clarinet.

Sorry for the long-winded post.

BeBop's posts have given me an idea. How about a survey of the history of jazz? Maybe some of the more mature listeners on this board would like to lead us through jazz's history. For example, the history of the tenor.

Just as we have started an album of the week, maybe we could have another thread where we could spend a week on a different player or era. Example: Coleman Hawkins' Body and Soul. We could focus on Hawkins' work in the 30s. What made him such an important musician? Maybe we could base the study upon a cd that is easily available for everyone who is interested to follow along with.

I didn't have the good fortune to grow up around jazz. I discovered it in my late teens. I'm always amazed when I speak to someone who grew up with the music and experienced it firsthand. There's so much passion in those people. I would love to hear the stories and really learn how to LISTEN to the music.

I really hope someone runs with this idea. It could be really valuable for the younger listeners here.

I mentioned this in another thread, but thought I'd better oughta mention it here too...

I think John Patton's "Boogaloo" might make for a really interesting and curious "Album of the Week". Anyone else with this album concur???? It's 'inside', it's 'outside', it 'grooves' -- all at the same time!!! It's my all-time favorite Patton album, and it was a session that wasn't ever even released until like 1999, which is at least 30 years after it was recorded.

And, after all, this board really ought to do an 'Organ'-centric album of the week sometime, no??

PS: I know, I know - probably not enough people own "Boogaloo" to make it a good choice. If not, I'll just start a thread about it sometime, and see who chimes in about it.

Boogaloo would be an interesting album of the week.

It took me a little while to get into it at first. It wasn't what I had been expecting. I find myself digging those late sixties Patton albums more and more. I picked up a couple of the rare groove reissues on vinyl also, and I've been playing those a lot lately. I'd love to have some Patton as the AoTW

This reminds me that we need to figure out next weeks Album of the Week. We've only got a day left. In the Lee Morgan AoTW thread, CJ nominated JoeG, so hopefully we'll have an album of the week for next week.

We should get in the habit of nominating the next album chooser when we start the new thread for the week.

I say we start a write in campaign to get JoeG to nominate Rooster Ties to pick the album of the week for April 27 - May 3.

I’m surprised nobody’s so far nominated Quartet Out’s Live At the Meat House; timely balls-out stuff that should bring a wide range of opinions. Certainly resident Jim would appreciate the additional exposure and maybe even bring him back from wherever he is now.

Besides, Sngry never answered my email asking if Durick’s Bonham-like intro to “Donkey Dix” was intended as an aural pun.