UK Jazz Still in need of CD reissue

A Lark Ascending

Things were looking good a while back but Dutton/Vocalion seem to have slowed down.

Seems sad the following are stil MIA:

Frequently mentioned candidates:

Dankworth/Wheeler - Windmill Tilter

Ronnie Ross - Cleopatra's Needle

Amancio D'Silva - Hum Domo

Ronnie Scott - Serious Gold

Things I have on LP that should be much better known:

Stan Sulzmann - On Loan With Gratitude

Ray Warleigh - Reverie

The first two Loose Tubes albums

Things I've never heard but would like to:

Tony Coe - Zeitgeist

Keith Tippett/Marc Charig - Pipedream

Will think of more and add.

Please add your own.

Apologies to Peoria...this matters in Leamington Spa!

Guy Warren of Ghana - 'Afro Jazz'

New Jazz Orchestra - 'Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe' (have the vinyl - it is fantastic)

Phil Seaman - 'Live'

Harold McNair - 'Afectionate Fink'

Colin Bates Trio - 'Brew'

Dick Morrissey - 'Storm Warning'

I could go on for hours but these will do for a starter.. :)

Edited by sidewinder

Ian Carr/Jeff Clyne Springboard LP is definitely in need of reissue because it is great - All of the above though. Also Neil Ardley's other great album A Symphony of Amaranths. Also OLIV by the Spontaneous Music Ensemble and TCB by Alan Skidmore (which like the Ronnie Ross Cleopatra's Needle) was given a brief CD reissue, but only in Japan! :angry: The lack of Dejeuner, Hum Dono and Windmill is criminal.

Edited by RogerF

To the list, I would add :

Mike Westbrook - 'Live' ( Cadillac )

John Dankworth - 'The $1,000,000 Collection' ( has that really never been on CD? )

Tony Oxley - 'The Baptised Traveller'

Ricotti & Albuquerque - 'First Wind'

plus Jimmy Witherspoon - 'Spoon Sings n' Swings' ( for the great band featuring Dick Morrissey, Phil Seamen etc ). I've got this on scratchy vinyl only.

Most of the albums listed so far can be obtained online. I'm not condoning this, of course, but in the past I have obtained an online version and ditched it when a CD version has been reissued - for both reasons of audio quality and 'morality'. However, the chances of most of these albums being reissued is minimal at best.

Exceptions to what's available online ( to the best of my knowledge ) include :

Harold McNair - 'Affectionate Fink'

Phil Seamen - 'Live' ( is that the same as 'The Phil Seamen Story'?)

Colin Bates - 'Brew'

Maybe the 'online' issue will cause some debate but do we wait forever in vain for a CD reissue or grab a reasonable interim copy in the meantime? If anyone wants more information on some of these long-lost items maybe they should send me a PM.

I have an apparently legit CD of this - on British CBS, if I remember correctly (I'm at work right now and can't check). That doesn't mean it's print now, but it has been reissued.

That certainly was legit - reissued on CD by Sony a few years back with other great CBS Realm series albums - a few copies still knocking around

I have an apparently legit CD of this - on British CBS, if I remember correctly (I'm at work right now and can't check). That doesn't mean it's print now, but it has been reissued.

That certainly was legit - reissued on CD by Sony a few years back with other great CBS Realm series albums - a few copies still knocking around

Thanks. It must be out of print now. I was looking for it recently and couldn't find it anywhere, except a £55 item on Amazon ( although there was a cheap mp3 download). Luckily a friend came up with a copy. Its one of the 5 star albums in the Penguin Guide so you would have thought it would be more widely available. Still, its only jazz.

Thanks. It must be out of print now. I was looking for it recently and couldn't find it anywhere, except a £55 item on Amazon ( although there was a cheap mp3 download). Luckily a friend came up with a copy. Its one of the 5 star albums in the Penguin Guide so you would have thought it would be more widely available. Still, its only jazz.

Baptised Traveller does very occasionally appear on eBay. Also Re: Mike Westbrook 'Live' this did make a re-appearance on CD a while back (not all that long ago) but again, yes you've guessed it, in Japan only. Can still be sourced sometimes via eBay occasionally. The Westbrook was done with the collaboration of Cadillac and new sleeve notes were added. Pity it wasn't done here. Good album.

John Dankworth - 'The $1,000,000 Collection' ( has that really never been on CD? )

I have a cd of this as part of a box bought from the Dankworth's place directly http://www.quarternotes.com/ Not sure if they are still trading but its worth asking?

Thanks - I'll check it out.

Peter

Re: The Dankworth box set - yes I have this too, and it should still be available from the Dankworth company. This is one of the great mysteries. All four of his 'concept' albums $1m collection, Zodiac Variations , What the Dickens and Lifeline in this excellent box and not expensive either. But only available from the Dankworth co directly. Never reissued on CD by Polygram or Universal or anyone else on CD. Weird because they are not only excellent but in terms of British jazz, important recordings too.

Another unissued album on CD ( as far as I know ) is Pete Lemer's 'Local Colour' from 1966 which featured Nisar Ahmed ( George ) Khan, John Surman ( one of his first recordings ), Tony Reeves and Jon Hiseman. Unusually for a British group, it was released on ESP.

• 2 years later...

It was available as a CD-r direct from Neil Ardley before he died. I got a copy from there.

It's certainly a recording deserving of proper reissue, even if just in downloadable form (perhaps the only cost effective way of making available music that will be unlikely to generate interest beyond a small audience).

I have an LP copy of it - always been bemused as to why it was never reissued on CD. Maybe Dutton Vocalion are working on it? (their 'May' reissues have yet to be announced).

I wonder what the sound quality was like for the Neil Ardley issue? The 'Mike Taylor Tribute' was from Neil's tape collection and although recorded at Lansdowne, audio quality wasn't the greatest. I've always assumed that there was a far better master available from the current master source (Universal?)

Edited by sidewinder

I have a cd of this as part of a box bought from the Dankworth's place directly http://www.quarternotes.com/ Not sure if they are still trading but its worth asking?

Thanks - I'll check it out.

Peter

Re: The Dankworth box set - yes I have this too, and it should still be available from the Dankworth company. This is one of the great mysteries. All four of his 'concept' albums $1m collection, Zodiac Variations , What the Dickens and Lifeline in this excellent box and not expensive either. But only available from the Dankworth co directly. Never reissued on CD by Polygram or Universal or anyone else on CD. Weird because they are not only excellent but in terms of British jazz, important recordings too.

Guess this is kind of late to the party, but I recall that DG was selling a $1m Collection/Zodiac Variations 2-fer reissued by Dutton Vocalion. This still seems to be in print in the UK, and there may have been an additional Dankworth 2-fer. I was kind of stretched thin at the time when I was visiting DG, so I passed.