Idris Muhammad

undergroundagent

An amazing drummer! Groove solid, but also full of interesting ideas and imagination. I think some of the stuff that he cut with Lou is some of the very best souljazz drumming around. And he still burns!

I'm not too crazy about his CTI leader date that I have. . . . Not sure that I have the Prestige stuff either or have heard it. . . . But I'm a huge fan of his supportive work for others!

• 10 years later...

jackso_will_barwars~~_102b.jpg

Willis Jackson: Bar Wars (Muse) - Wonderful record with fine playing by all, including Idris Muhammad.

One of my most favourite albums ever!!!!

I like lots of Idris but, funnily enough, never got 'Kabsha' - big mistake, eh?

I like his commercial material as well as the straight ahead stuff.

For straight ahead stuff, try and find this one, from 1998, with George Coleman, Joe Lovano & Gary Bartz!!!!

Idris-Muhammad-Right-Now-1998-FLAC.jpg

It's on Cannonball Records, which was owned by Ron Levy and went bust around 2000.

OK, back to the original question. Idris' two Prestige albums are both a bit uneven, but the good bits are totally BRILLIANT! Overall, I'd say 'Black rhythm revolution is a bit better than 'Peas and rhythm'. Side 2 of BRR and side 1 of P&R are the brill bits. Side 1 of BRR is better than side 2 of P&R.

Ace over here issued a twofer of them, which is probably still in their catalogue.

Another good 'un is this

618kK0JRGZL.jpg

Charles Earland, Mel Sparks, Houston Person & Idris Muhammad - ESPM the reunion; live at Akbar Hall - Nectar

This is from 1996 - a reunion of most of the band that made Charles Earland's 'Black talk'. A very nice bit of chat from Idris, talking about the members of the audience who were dancing to his drum solo at the gig. Mel sang a couple of B B King songs and was featured on Johnny Copeland's 'Copeland special'. A very nice informal gig. Hard to find, I should think, but really nice music.

MG

Good stuff, a little "fussy" IIRC... some of his best work for Prestige can be found on dates led by Melvin Sparks and Leon Spencer, IMO.

But, by all means, don't sleep on this wonderful recording.

MI0000057450.jpg

I've got that one, been a while since I gave it a spin. Will have to give it a listen soon.

Good stuff, a little "fussy" IIRC... some of his best work for Prestige can be found on dates led by Melvin Sparks and Leon Spencer, IMO.

But, by all means, don't sleep on this wonderful recording.

MI0000057450.jpg

I've got that one, been a while since I gave it a spin. Will have to give it a listen soon.

Was looking for that but did not find it yet. played this instead. Still fun

muhamm_idri_blackrhyt_101b.jpg

0000365062_500.jpg

That was my introduction to Idris. Awesome album.

Same here - there's an amazing solo someplace late on that disc ... got to dig it up.

Later on caught him live in a great concert by Ahmad Jamal's trio with guest George Coleman. That was heaven ... young me standing right in front of Big George, and Muhammad driving that band!

I gave KABSHA another listen. It's essentially an above-average bop session, with a couple of "out" moments from Pharoah. Idris' drumming skills get a bit of a showcase, but this is not a drummer's album where the drummer dominates. The review from Allmusic (of the CD version) is accurate although a tad more enthusiastic than I am. Sanders and Coleman don't play together much on the album, which is too bad since they sound good together. I have the LP; they play on one track together, "GCCG Blues." The CD apparently has additional tracks.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/kabsha-mw0000120698

You should buy his book:http://www.idrismuhammad.com/buy.htm

51oZcL%2BrwZL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,To

Looks interesting - I'll wait until it gets a bit cheaper, though.

Strange to see Idris as a Mardi Gras Indian. Is he the only Muslim Indian, I wonder?

MG

Hey, he's from New Orleans! The book is great.

I suggest his recordings with George Coleman like Live at Yoshi's.

Another good 'un is this

618kK0JRGZL.jpg

Charles Earland, Mel Sparks, Houston Person & Idris Muhammad - ESPM the reunion; live at Akbar Hall - Nectar

This is from 1996 - a reunion of most of the band that made Charles Earland's 'Black talk'. A very nice bit of chat from Idris, talking about the members of the audience who were dancing to his drum solo at the gig. Mel sang a couple of B B King songs and was featured on Johnny Copeland's 'Copeland special'. A very nice informal gig. Hard to find, I should think, but really nice music.

MG

Glad I stumbled across this thread, I just grabbed a used/like new copy on Amazon for $15. Thanks MG.