David S. Ware

save0904

As I did not find an existing thread which discusses the life and music of David S. Ware I started this one. I hope so see lots of discussions about this wonderful human being and great musician. Also I'd like to get tons of recommendations to dig further into his works.

Just found this video from one of his last performances with the quartet.

For pure fire breathing, check out Cecil Taylor - Dark To Themselves, one of Ware's first recordings back in the mid 70's. I haven't listened to many of his recordings as a leader, but I do have and return to Surrendered.

Yeah this is some record. Sometimes a little underestimated, I feel, by people for whom the Lyons trio is the apogee of Taylordom.

For pure fire breathing, check out Cecil Taylor - Dark To Themselves, one of Ware's first recordings back in the mid 70's. I haven't listened to many of his recordings as a leader, but I do have and return to Surrendered.

Thanks for recommending Dark To Themselves, I bought it today. I'm looking forward listening to it the first time tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

Coming in a bit late here but I've got very fond memories odf seeing Ware (twice ?) in London back in the late 70s with Andrew Cyrille. This group is documented on two Soul Note and Black Saint records. I particularly remember a closing blues - Ware shouting in fine r&b mode. About 20 years later a more cerebral performance didn't have the same impact.

• 10 months later...

As I did not find an existing thread which discusses the life and music of David S. Ware I started this one. I hope so see lots of discussions about this wonderful human being and great musician. Also I'd like to get tons of recommendations to dig further into his works.

Just found this video from one of his last performances with the quartet.

I have only a couple of Ware releases:

Live In The World is a great 3-CD Set that can be found quite cheap. Even better is the vinyl-only release "Live In Vilnius". Fantastic concert, beautiful sound and an excellent pressing. Maybe one of the best jazz releases of the new millenium.

• 7 months later...

Cliff, I have the new CD but haven't had a chance to spin it yet. I did see the new group in concert at the Vision Fest, and they put on a high-energy show. Cooper-Moore was doing everything but handstands on the piano. Pretty amazing. I would like to see how the group gels. But Shipp brought something deeper to the group, that I haven't heard yet in the new group. I suspect Shipp's relationship with DSW was deep and complex and fraught with both possibilities and tensions. It's clearly a different group with Cooper-Moore. Some might like it better too.

• 3 years later...

a great, unfairly maligned record, estimable even in its imperfections etc-- too bad circumstances disallowed pursuing further & other beat/electronic collaborations, belated respect to Ware for recognizing he'd overblown himself into unsustainable, less than challenging corner with acoustic quartet (regardless the drummer)--

I doubt DSW decided on that move. It's more likely Shipp was responsible for moving the group out of its comfort zones and into this brave new world. Shipp was exploring electronica and synths on his own, teaming up with FLAM, etc. That poses an interesting question of who was driving the car.

It wouldn't work for me, since I think the synth work is undeveloped here, except for DSW's playing, which is like Sam Johnson refuting it all by kicking the rock.

Cliff, I have the new CD but haven't had a chance to spin it yet. I did see the new group in concert at the Vision Fest, and they put on a high-energy show. Cooper-Moore was doing everything but handstands on the piano. Pretty amazing. I would like to see how the group gels. But Shipp brought something deeper to the group, that I haven't heard yet in the new group. I suspect Shipp's relationship with DSW was deep and complex and fraught with both possibilities and tensions. It's clearly a different group with Cooper-Moore. Some might like it better too.

Would have liked to have seen that group live. Cooper-Moore's history with Ware is long, going back to the early 70s when they formed Apogee with Marc Edwards and Chris Amberger. Muhammad is such a beautiful drummer and a fun cat to talk to.

Never had any patience for the electronica/hip-hop/jazz hybrids on Thirsty Ear but... I've probably listened to dumber music in my life!

RIP DSW

• 7 years later...
  • 6 months later...