weird 3 sounds record on ebay

Thanks for the heads up, Aric. Thanks to my LP sales, I can pull the trigger on this one - should be fun to hear almost 15 minutes of interview, even if I am sure the music isn't anything I haven't heard. In fact it kind of matches my Four Sounds demo 78 for rarity (well, not quite) but hey - I am the Gene Harris Fanatic and aside from Gene's widow, this thing is meant for me.

:g

And for another, there was a vocalist named Don Cherry who recorded for Columbia. But I'll let you know for sure in a week or two. ;)

It wouldn't be a whole side of the crazy Canadian ice-hockey commentator dude mouthing off about the likes of Edmonton Oilers, would it? ^_^

Don%20Cherry%2017.JPG

Edited by sidewinder

It wouldn't be a whole side of the crazy Canadian ice-hockey commentator dude mouthing off about the likes of Edmonton Oilers, would it? ^_^

There's no way; the auction didn't show a jacket... :g

report back to us on what the interviews are like--!

Definitely! My curiosity is killing me!

I was thinking I might post a transcript or figure out how to share the audio once I get it and do the pop removal.

There's no way; the auction didn't show a jacket... :g

Definitely! My curiosity is killing me!

I can understand that but I will probably stop listening to the B side once a schmaltzy performance of "That's Amore" comes up. :blush:

Edited by Dan Gould

Those recruiting things are definitely neat finds...the music is always(?) already released stuff, but the interview segments are usually nice, if not particularly penetrating or insightful. They were radio shows, and their main thrust was PR for the military.

That's what makes me wonder the format and how much will be interview time and whether there are spot breaks in the middle, or a complete program with ads at the start and finish that wouldn't be mastered to the record itself? Iirc, Gene served in the Army (hated it because he was stationed in the south and wasn't prepared for Jim Crow) and volunteered to be a paratrooper even though he was terrified of flying. I guess having a parachute and knowing how to use it eases the fear of getting on the plane.

I'm also real curious about this opening that the listing mentions, and also the possibility of even a little more info about the days of the "Four Sounds" since it was only a few years before that they dropped the saxophonist.

Then I am definitely curious if its an actual Blue Note radio ad at the start, or is the seller misinterpreting the announcer opening ... because an actual Blue Note radio ad would be too cool to hear - and may not exist anywhere else but for these radio show discs. It does seem to me that a reasonable "trade" for doing the interview would be a promotional spot for the record label.

The way I read the ad, it's probably the announcer doing the ususal intro work and then saying something like "now, let's head over the the Blue Note Studio & se what Gene & the fellows are up to" or something like that. But who knows?

Yeah, that's what I thought it might be - really depends on how he is using the word "spot" in

has this old time radio sounding spot about going down to Blue Note studios

Is it "spot" meaning "part of the recording" or is he using it in the actual radio meaning of the term? Seems to me that "head over to the Blue Note studio" or the like doesn't sound that special or distinctive - its just a transition into the interview.

Soon we'll know "... the rest of the story."

:g

Well color me disappointed but not grossly perturbed.

Its not Don Cherry the jazz artist on side B.

No Blue Note spot at the start - what was described as an "old time radio spot" is just their standard open - sfx of a whistle, a car engine, a "cabby" asking "where to" and a request to "take me to the Blue Note studios on 61st St."

Guess it wouldn't be Manhattan Melodies if they said "take me to Rudy Van Gelder's in Englewood Cliffs". :rolleyes:

No Gene Harris or Andy Simpkins, just Bill Dowdy and their business manager for a slightly longer than 2 minute interview segment.

There are two tracks from the Bottom's Up LP - I Could Write a Book and Nothing Ever Changes My Love For You, and one Air Force recruitment ad in the middle.

So, its neat but not really special (to me - I do plan to send the LP and a CDR to Bill Dowdy, who might get a kick out of hearing his younger self from 50 years ago, and I'll send a transfer to Janie Harris if she wants one).

Since we can link media files, would Jim or the Mods object to me linking the interview segment? Obviously I don't want to share the whole thing which has two tunes owned by EMI. But is there any harm to sharing the interview segment from a forgotten Air Force recruiting show?

It's alright, Chewy, it never occurred to me that only one member of the group might get interviewed, and not the guy I wanted to hear, and with my LP sale, in effect I just traded for this, didn't have a "cash" outlay. And anyway, I have Bill Dowdy's address and phone number, I will send him the recording and a cleaned up transfer.

Since we can link media files, would Jim or the Mods object to me linking the interview segment? Obviously I don't want to share the whole thing which has two tunes owned by EMI. But is there any harm to sharing the interview segment from a forgotten Air Force recruiting show?

It would be nice to hear it.