2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giants Baseball:

TORTURE!

Yeah, it sure is. If it wasn't for Burrell (finally! a left fielder, after all those other fools out there), they might be way out. Lincecum needs to get his stuff together, his last three starts have been disasters.

Exactly, Matthew.

Though the Gigantes won last night over the Cards, Lincecum needs to stop tinkering with his form and get back to what got him those two Cy Young Awards.

All Lincecum needs to do is find the 5-6 miles an hour that have gone missing from his Fastball most of the season. He wouldn't have been tinkering with his hand placement, if he was pitching like he did in April, or last year.

In other news, I see the Yankees are finally going to rest Javy Vasquez....gee, what made them decide to do it so soon??? He can get by throwing an 86-88 MPH "fastball", surely! :rolleyes:

Nice story about Jason Heyward who, if you all remember, I picked to be the NL's Rookie of the Year back in Spring training.

Nice story! Hadn't heard this one before....

Too bad JHey hurt his thumb, his numbers have really been off since the injury, but he may be turning it around now, as he went 4 for 4, and hit 2 homers into the wind at Wrigley yesteryday....

But if the voting was today, I think Buster Posey would win it....

So long Lou.

To be honest, I never thought he was that good of a manager, his teams never seemed to be the better by his presence. I really thought that he was not a good fit with the Cubs. Still, I think we'll see him again and some point.

Well, he took the Reds to a W.S. victory, the Mariners won the most games in a season under him, and the Cubs went to the playoffs in back to back years for the first time either in a century, or ever...I forget what I heard on baseball tonight.

I remember him as a very good hitter for the Yankees, now he's 67 and retiring as a manager....

Giants Baseball:

TORTURE!

Yeah, it sure is. If it wasn't for Burrell (finally! a left fielder, after all those other fools out there), they might be way out. Lincecum needs to get his stuff together, his last three starts have been disasters.

Exactly, Matthew.

Though the Gigantes won last night over the Cards, Lincecum needs to stop tinkering with his form and get back to what got him those two Cy Young Awards.

All Lincecum needs to do is find the 5-6 miles an hour that have gone missing from his Fastball most of the season. He wouldn't have been tinkering with his hand placement, if he was pitching like he did in April, or last year.

In other news, I see the Yankees are finally going to rest Javy Vasquez....gee, what made them decide to do it so soon??? He can get by throwing an 86-88 MPH "fastball", surely! :rolleyes:

I'm up in the Bay Area, and the columnists & bloggers are claiming that Lincecum's last start against the Cardinals (which was a loss BTW) was a return of the "old Tim" -- I'm not buying it, Lincecum still looked bad, and no amount of yapping by Mike Krukow, or anyone else, is going to convince me otherwise. It's like TL doesn't give a darn anymore.

He probably is hoping for the Yankees to get him somehow....

According to ESPN, this move by the Red Sox is intended to keep Damon from going to the Rays, not New York. I thought and continue to think that letting Damon walk last year was a big mistake on the part of the Yankees. There's something to be said for intangibles.

He probably is hoping for the Yankees to get him somehow....

According to ESPN, this move by the Red Sox is intended to keep Damon from going to the Rays, not New York. I thought and continue to think that letting Damon walk last year was a big mistake on the part of the Yankees. There's something to be said for intangibles.

Either way, it's a good move on Boston's part. Why let one of the two teams ahead of you get stronger?

I'm starting to think the Yanks would be better off just IBBing Bautista every time up...how many HRs has he hit off us this year? #40 probably wraps up tonight's game for the Jays, coming on the heels of #39 he hit earlier in the game. At least we got a decent start from Nova, and Brett Gardner proved once again that it's foolish to try and run against his arm.

Re: Damon, I wouldn't be surprised to see him decide to go back to Boston (very interested in Dan's take on this). If nothing else, it puts him on a team that's still got a shot at a wildcard slot or more.

Edited by ghost of miles

When you get right down to it, the guy has barely played the outfield this year - I think 40 starts (?). We've already got a DH. What he brings is an ability to get on base that we lack at the top of the lineup. Damon leading off allows Scutaro to hit second where Drew has hit ever since Pedroia returned to the DL (Reason #666 Why The Red Sox won't Make The Playoffs).

But in the end I do not believe Damon agrees to it, for the simple fact that being booed in Boston was painful for him and he doesn't want the fans to suddenly act as if all is forgiven. And on top of that, he doesn't want to go back to Yankee Stadium wearing a Red Sox uni and give Yankee fans a reason to hate him too.

Damon stays, and either way it won't make any difference. Except to the extent that he might have helped the Rays offense had they gotten the chance to claim him.

Man, tonight it was the Phillies turn to get shafted on a controversial call. W/ none out in the 8th and the Phils ahead 2-1 Michael Bourn bunted w/a man on 1st. Ryan Howard scooped up the ball and went to tag Bourn but MB ran about 3 feet out of the basepath(his right foot clearly touched the grass in foul territory), avoiding the tag.

Afterward, Manuel and some of his players were fuming that Bourn wasn't called out of the baseline. Making it worse, Gibson tossed Manuel from a game against Cleveland on June 24 for arguing a similar play the opposite way. Gibson called Shane Victorino out of the baseline as he dove into first base to avoid a tag.

"He went out of the baseline, but (Gibson) didn't see it that way," Manuel said.

When Gibson was asked for a comment by a pool reporter, crew chief Sam Holbrook said umpires are not allowed to talk per major league baseball's instructions. However, umpires have discussed controversial calls several times this season.

WTF??

Better explanation

I'm starting to think the Yanks would be better off just IBBing Bautista every time up...how many HRs has he hit off us this year? #40 probably wraps up tonight's game for the Jays, coming on the heels of #39 he hit earlier in the game. At least we got a decent start from Nova, and Brett Gardner proved once again that it's foolish to try and run against his arm..

I thought Girardi was too quick with the hook on Nova and created a domino effect on the bullpen. The kid was going fine, only 70 pitches.

How is it a "domino effect" when you get a clean inning out of Joba in the seventh and have your new eighth inning guy lined up to pitch the eighth only he serves up the tater? You don't leave Robertson on the bench to pitch the ninth inning of a tie game on the road, you hope that they can score in the ninth and Mo comes in for the save.

The bullpen was lined up the way he wanted, he just didn't get the results.

bournecall_crop_340x234.jpg?1282669602

Of course this base path controversy could have been avoided altogether if Howard had just tossed the ball to Utley covering first base.

Howard also tagged him out! What a ripoff.

Saw that last night on baseball tonight...couldn't believe the same stupid ump ruled the other way against the Phils earlier this year. What a maroon.

If it makes Phillie fans feel better, the braves lost last night because of a blown call. Carlos Gonzalez was easily out at 2nd on a steal attempt, but the ump was in front of 2nd base and couldn't see the tag on the body, just his hand getting on the base. At least it was an excusable mistake. But, he scored on a Todd Helton single(he was 4-4 which must feel pretty good after so many experts that follow the Rockies have said he should retire) that was the winning run.

So, fans of the Philthies.....still have a bitter taste in your mouth about Roy Oswalt??? After 5 starts, 3-1 with a 2.43 ERA. How soon before he's DFA'ed??? :P :P

Soriano in the ninth last night: 9 pitches, 9 strikes.

That was a thing of beauty.

Wasn't it nice of the braves to give you him for nothing??? Oh wait, we got Jesse Chavez :rolleyes:

At least we spun him off into Kyle Farnsworthless....9.45 ERA in the weak little girlyman NL.

Soriano in the ninth last night: 9 pitches, 9 strikes.

That was a thing of beauty.

Wasn't it nice of the braves to give you him for nothing??? Oh wait, we got Jesse Chavez :rolleyes:

At least we spun him off into Kyle Farnsworthless....9.45 ERA in the weak little girlyman NL.

I know. He's been pretty much lights-out all year.

Just nice to see someone come in and go after the strike zone aggressively. These middle relief guys who nibble around the edges and never get anything near the strike zone, bouncing pitches in front of the plate, over the catcher's head, loading the bases, it's frustrating as hell to watch these guys sometimes. THROW A DAMN STRIKE! Pitch to contact instead of trying to fool the batter all - the -- time - every - pitch. Geez.

(feel better now)

The Giants

Grrrrr :angry:

451362836v1_480x480_Front.jpg

Giants Baseball:

TORTURE!

Exactly, Matthew.

Maybe he's listening to the wrong people.

All along the MLB pitching "experts" have said he isn't supposed to be able to pitch like he does and still get SOs and wins. I'm guessing he's been trying to do what the close-minded pitching "experts" are saying is all wrong with his delivery. The Old School Righetti springs to mind. Hm.

Here's a solution: Maybe the MLB Estabishment just needs to STFU and leave Lincecum alone....then the Giants need to fire Righetti.

GRRRR!!! :angry:

Edited by GoodSpeak

and Dan was right, Damon stays in Detroit....

Glad to hear it--I think Damon would have been a sparkplug for Boston. Sounds like Detroit promised him lots of playing time; otherwise, he might well have gone back to the Bosox.

NY clobbering the Jays tonight, so at least we're assured of staying tied with the Rays for first.