I am no longer an eBay virgin.

I've bought a couple of things on eBay before - one auction and one Buy It Now, but I've never sold anything before.

So in anticipation of my selling my Mosaics, I have read The Complete Idiot's Guide to eBay. It suggested that you practice with a few trivial items before you try to sell expensive items.

So yesterday I started my first auction, and today my second, and I intend to do a few more before the Mosaics next week. I'm offering a few mags that are in good shape. I'm hoping that I get a couple of bids so that I can see how eBay's behind-the-scenes programs work regarding actually making a sale, but if I don't that's OK.

There are still a couple of things I would like to do, but can't find how to do them. If you have a moment, please look at my auctions and make any constructive criticisms that you wish. Now's the time to learn, before I put the Mosaics up for bid. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALFRED-HITCHCOCK-ELLERY-QUEEN-FACTORY-SEALED-MINT-/130384812432?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Magazines&hash=item1e5b8a5990

http://cgi.ebay.com/CIGAR-AFICIONADO-June-2003-EX-/130385071586?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Magazines&hash=item1e5b8e4de2

I may be shooting myself in the foot, you might have some Mosaics I want, but consider ending your auctions on Sunday evening (or at least a weekend evening), say 9:30-10:00PM EST. You'll get more activity in the hours prior to the auction ending. (I believe eBay suggests that this is the best time to end auctions in its "How to Sell" section.)

For example, I just recently won a mint condition McLean Mosaic for just $52 when 2 similar sets each went for around $120 just weeks before. The ad was well constructed overall; there was nothing to raise a red flag or cause it to go unnoticed. My good fortune aside, I attribute this to the fact that the auction ended at 9:00 AM CST on a Friday. There was essentially no activity in the closing hours of the auction… it was a workday and most folks can't monitor auctions from the office.

Just my two cents.

Very interesting that you say that, blake. sjarrell sells Mosaics on eBay, and he advised me to avoid weekends, and to try to end the auctions between 4:30 and 5:00 when people at work are wrapping up.

The book talked about a feature that will delay the start of the auction, but I can't find that.

There is a blank near the top of the auction page for the condition of the item, but I can't find where to fill in that blank.

What do you guys think of the wood border on the second auction? It was free because I had a subtitle. Would it look better without it?

I think many auctions feature too many text colors and too-fancy fonts. I don't think people interested in Mosaics want the cutsie look.

I may be shooting myself in the foot, you might have some Mosaics I want, but consider ending your auctions on Sunday evening (or at least a weekend evening), say 9:30-10:00PM EST. You'll get more activity in the hours prior to the auction ending. (I believe eBay suggests that this is the best time to end auctions in its "How to Sell" section.)

For example, I just recently won a mint condition McLean Mosaic for just $52 when 2 similar sets each went for around $120 just weeks before. The ad was well constructed overall; there was nothing to raise a red flag or cause it to go unnoticed. My good fortune aside, I attribute this to the fact that the auction ended at 9:00 AM CST on a Friday. There was essentially no activity in the closing hours of the auction… it was a workday and most folks can't monitor auctions from the office.

Just my two cents.

I've sold a lot of stuff on eBay over the years- stereo gear, mountain bikes, and lots of CDs. I agree with this. I generally also pay the small amount extra to run a 10-day auction and start it on a Thursday evening so as to end on Sunday night, as stated.

I also believe that Sunday evening is the best time to end auctions, but buyers hate the 10 day auction. I usually set my auctions to end within three to five days. Buyers lose focus over a long period of time.

I'm sure that this advice just adds to your confusion. ^_^

For example, I just recently won a mint condition McLean Mosaic for just $52 when 2 similar sets each went for around $120 just weeks before.

So you were the lucky person! I had that on my watch list but it went on for too long and I lost focus as to when it was supposed to end. This is why I recommend that people shorten the time spans on their auctions.

Everybody loves to talk about the high prices for Mosaic sets on ebay. There are actually many good deals to be had on Mosaic sets. A Grant Green set recently sold for $117.00, I think. The economy is still depressed.

Everybody loves to talk about the high prices for Mosaic sets on ebay. There are actually many good deals to be had on Mosaic sets. A Grant Green set recently sold for $117.00, I think. The economy is still depressed.

Thanks for cheering me up!

It's reality. Although Mosaic sets maintain their value for the most part, cd prices are plummeting everywhere.

Really, guys, it's been my experience that funnybooks go better Sunday nights and music works better when people are at their office computers weekdays. Not so early in the day that the west-coasters aren't awake, not so late that all of Europe is sleeping. The Japanese can use auction sniper (for that matter, everyone can, so time should be irrelevant)

LOL! riverrat, sjarrell said just the opposite. He feels that paying extra for a term over seven days is a waste of money.

I'm glad I asked here, so that I can see the differences of opinion.

To each his/her own, lots of different theories on how to market. That is one thing that makes eBay so fascinating (to me).

For a very inexpensive item, the extra 40 cents that it costs to list for 30% longer and let that many more eyes a chance to see the auction may not be worth it to some people. I suppose it also depends on your assumptions regarding how people find things on eBay and whether more people actually view your auction if it is up for longer. And if you add a bunch of bells and whistles to your auction (I never do) the cost for the extra time may be higher.

But to me it is a no brainer to pay 40 cents for 30% longer run time, and the chance to have my auction run through two entire weekends (when most people surf eBay) rather than just one.

The Japanese can use auction sniper (for that matter, everyone can, so time should be irrelevant)

To me, the use of an automatic sniping tool is another eBay "no brainer". I never monitor an auction end anymore, since I discovered the benefits of a sniping tool. But I think the majority of eBayers still do not use these tools, for whatever reason, so the start and end times still matter. I may be wrong about this, but that is my impression.

Edited by riverrat

LOL! riverrat, sjarrell said just the opposite. He feels that paying extra for a term over seven days is a waste of money.

I'm glad I asked here, so that I can see the differences of opinion.

To each his/her own, lots of different theories on how to market. That is one thing that makes eBay so fascinating (to me).

For a very inexpensive item, the extra 40 cents that it costs to list for 30% longer and let that many more eyes a chance to see the auction may not be worth it to some people. I suppose it also depends on your assumptions regarding how people find things on eBay and whether more people actually view your auction if it is up for longer. And if you add a bunch of bells and whistles to your auction (I never do) the cost for the extra time may be higher.

But to me it is a no brainer to pay 40 cents for 30% longer run time, and the chance to have my auction run through two entire weekends (when most people surf eBay) rather than just one.

The Japanese can use auction sniper (for that matter, everyone can, so time should be irrelevant)

To me, the use of an automatic sniping tool is another eBay "no brainer". I never monitor an auction end anymore, since I discovered the benefits of a sniping tool. But I think the majority of eBayers still do not use these tools, for whatever reason, so the start and end times still matter. I may be wrong about this, but that is my impression.

For what I mainly look for collectible jazz/blues books and rare jazz CD's, I usually see snipe bids. I always snipe myself so as to avoid missing out on an item. I think the modern jazz material goes higher than the tradtional. Older collectors may not be as computer savvy and do not check on line. Recently, I picked up a rare Jack Teagarden book very cheaply, due to lack of interest. The bop and post bop is a different story. Generally, the most accurate and thorough descriptions carry the day for me as far as finding an item and getting higher bids. Also, I don't like seeing "noise" in the description. For example, other musician's names (who are not on the session) as a reference or what may have been part of previous or future auctions.

Good luck w/your auctions.

Good luck on your auctions.

If I could give a bit of advice in so far as selling Mosaics is concerned. I've been watching Mosaic auctions daily for nearly 4 years straight, and I have my own set of preferences.

Take as many pictures as possible. It never ceases to amaze me when someone wants several hundreds of dollars as a starting price but then only has one picture of the item. Each picture is only a dime extra. I'd even pay extra for the zoomed in version.

One thing I really like to see is a photo dedicated to the booklet. That doesn't happen very often. I look for any wear (page turning dimples or spine creases). If someone is claiming Mint condition (Like New in eBay parlance), looking at the booklet tells me how serious they are. Mint/Like New should mean no wear evident anywhere, like it practically just got unwrapped from Mosaic Records itself.

I also appreciate when someone claims no scratches on the CDs and has looked under a bright light to prove it. I hate surprises on my end. (I'm nearsighted so I guess I have a different perspective than most with my glasses off :P )

I collect only Mosaics where the music interests me (e.g., I'm not into big band--yet--so there's quite a few auctions I ignore). But I try to find the best possible condition out there, and then handle them gingerly, so as to not damage their resale value if I ever grow tired of them (or, God forbid, need to sell them to make ends meet).

Just my 2 cents, probably more information than you were looking for. :)

(BTW, I also dislike 10-day auctions)

(BTW, I also dislike 10-day auctions)

When I'm wearing a buyer's hat, I'd prefer not to wait too. Additionally when planning to bid, I have a vested interest in having the auction end ASAP with as few other people finding it as possible. So from a buyer's perspective, I can see how 7-day auctions would be preferable. But a 10-day auction has never and would never keep me from bidding on an item I really wanted. Just out of curiosity, would it keep you from bidding? And if so, why?

Take as many pictures as possible. It never ceases to amaze me when someone wants several hundreds of dollars as a starting price but then only has one picture of the item. Each picture is only a dime extra. I'd even pay extra for the zoomed in version.

mellowT, I like your idea. for my next trial auction, I will experiment with having six photos.

I see that my Cigar Aficionado is being "watched". What does that mean?

Edited by GA Russell

People who are interested in your item add it to their "watch" list in "My Ebay". Then they have an easy-to-find link to the auction - assuming they remember that they were interested in it in the first place. Y'know, if it goes too long, they forget. :rolleyes:

I've been buying and selling for about 10 years and I also hate 10 day auctions. Watching auctions is a must. I can't think that any serious buyer would not do that. More photos are always good. I have sold Mosaics and I'm very scrupulous about checking every disc and if it has a scratch I say so. If you say it's mint, you need to back it up. For shipping domestically I only use UPS; I just don't trust the post office, plus I can track it better. If you have a rare item, it will sell itsel so if I'm selling Mosaics I don't really worry about the time it ends. As a buyer I've stayed up late or gotten up a little earlier for an auction.

Don't forget to pack properly. Err on the side of caution. There's nothing that ticks me off to get something that was not properly or safely packed. When I get ready to ship something, I shake the box. If I hear movement, I repack. Whatever you're selling should not move. If it does, you've got a problem. When I've received things, I shake the box out of habit and if I hear movement I groan in dreaded anticipation of damage.

Don't forget to pack properly. Err on the side of caution. There's nothing that ticks me off to get something that was not properly or safely packed. When I get ready to ship something, I shake the box. If I hear movement, I repack.

Good idea, Brad. At Sandy's suggestion, I have spent $50 at Bags, Unltd. for packing materials, which I intend to pass on in the form of handling charges.

Thanks Dan. I guess that means that if a Buyer doesn't put the item on his watch list, he will probably never go back to it.

Not necessarily. I have never used the "watch" option, I simply print out the listing I am interested in and highlight the day and time the auction ends. Then when I want to check the status of the bidding I enter the item number in my browser search box. Almost as fast as bookmarking the page and definitely faster than going to ebay, logging in and going to your My Ebay page.

Also, I was selling some plumbing stuff for my sister-in-law and noticed that a couple of items sat for a couple of weeks with two people "watching" it, then all of a sudden everything went at my Buy-it-Now price. I think its more important to note how many eyeballs hit your listings and you get that info now at the top of the page. But I'm sure Mosaic listings get plenty of eyeballs.