Lou Donalson on Argo/Cadet - How Much Is There...

These are Lou's Argo/Cadet LPs

1 Signifyin'

2 Possum head

3 Coleslaw

4 Rough house blues

5 Musty Rusty

6 Fried buzzard

7 Blowing in the wind

8 At his best

1 and 2 feature BJP and were recently reissued in Europe on the Groove Hut label (Andorra) - a twofer.

5 and 8 feature Billy Gardner and were recently reissued in Europe on the Jazz Beat label (Andorra again) - a twofer.

4 was issued on CD in Japan by Universal Victor (now out of print)

6 was issued on CD in the US by MCA (now out of print)

3 and 7 feature the One and Only Herman Foster and I reckon it's a good bet that the Andorrans will come out with a twofer of these before too long.

4, despite Oliver Nelson arrangements, is the one I find least interesting.

6 is a BMF. "And making his first apperance in the United Sataes of America, from New Orleans, Louisiana, Leo Morris!" (Well, they're all great albums except 4.)

As far as I know, no unreleased tracks were recorded for Chess. The total running time is not long, but at four and three quarter hours would need four CDs to cover. And who would do it considering the Andorrans are making a decent job of it? Are these pirate issues? Dunno. Honestly, don't care. Universal clearly doesn't care about its stack of Soul Jazz albums and I do.

MG

I have Rough House and Blowin in the Wind on MVCJ Japanese releases and Signifyin' on a UCCJ mini-lp Japanese release. All are quite enjoyable and sound fine to these ears.

Hmmm. . . I wonder if you sent copies of those to the right person if we'd see an "Andorran" version on cd shortly thereafter. :)

I have Rough House and Blowin in the Wind on MVCJ Japanese releases and Signifyin' on a UCCJ mini-lp Japanese release. All are quite enjoyable and sound fine to these ears.

Hmmm. . . I wonder if you sent copies of those to the right person if we'd see an "Andorran" version on cd shortly thereafter. :)

The two that the Andorrans would put out - which would fit together beautifully and also fit into their methodology, would be the two with The One and Only Herman Foster - "Coleslaw" and "Blowin' in the wind". No one seems to think "Coleslaw" was ever put on CD, however.

MG

Cole Slaw is indeed the only one that hasn't been put on CD (if we include Andorran needle drops). It has however appeared in blogland.

There is also an unissued album recorded in July 1965. Most but not all of the tunes were repeated on later Cadet albums:

Lou Donaldson (as) + others

New York, July, 1965

14121 Greasy papa (unissued) Cadet

14122 The thing -

14123 Fried buzzard -

14124 The best things in life are free -

14125 Stella by starlight -

14126 The wig blues -

14127 Just friends -

14128 Over the rainbow -

Then there are a few additional unreleased tracks:

Tommy Turrentine (tp) Lou Donaldson (as) Big John Patton (org) Roy Montrell (g) Ben Dixon (d)

New York, July 17, 1963 [signifyin' session]

12553 Bossa nova [Lou's new thing] (unissued)

Lou Donaldson (as) Herman Foster (p) Sam Jones (b) Leo Morris (d) Richard "Pablo" Landrum (cga)

New York, September 7, 1966 [blowin' In The Wind session]

15116 Untitled (unissued)

15118 Blues no. 1 -

15119 Chasin' a fox -

All of this may have perished in the Universal fire.