Burton Greene

jostber

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Wonder what the licensing is on those Cat Jazz albums and whether anybody is getting paid (if they did the first time). Good stuff at least!

On the back tray cover it's written that the record is licensed from Timeless Records. Maybe Timeless has some deal with Cat Records (or acquired their catalog, most likely).

NjQtMzQxNC5qcGVn.jpeg  

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2010 at 5:30 PM, jostber said:

Has there never been any plans for the Columbia album "Presenting" to be reissued?

Oh man, the synthesizers on that album are outstanding. Very forward-looking record. I'm also a sucker for anything with Byard Lancaster, especially in the early days...

I've seen some people write that that album may be the the most far-out record released on a major label... At the very least it's a contender for that distinction...

On 5/27/2010 at 4:17 PM, felser said:

Never quite sure how to take that kind of quote, though. I remember the notes to the Archie Shepp 1975 Montreux (I think)records, where Johnny Griffin was quoted as saying that Archie Shepp had finally learned how to play saxophone or something, and Shepp, to me, was fascinating from "3 for Trane" through about '77, then basically unlistenable as he became a conventional tenor player with bad intonation, doing ballad albums and such.

I'm down with all of Shepp's stuff, even his lesser efforts.

I honestly really like Phat Jam in Milano... 

Still, I mostly listen to his stuff from the timeframe you enumerated.

I am fascinated by the story Shepp tells where a family friend asked him: “Well, Archie, I’ve got a lot of your records. When are you going to play something that I can understand?”

Edited by unitstructures