Ouch!!!!

This clearly has to hurt. No offensive to this bullfighter, but sometimes the bull does win. This will go down on Wide World of Sports', "the agony of defeat."

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2010/05/22/news/photos_galleries/bullfight/cropped/SPAIN%20BULLFIGHTING_001195151--400x600.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2010/05/22/news/photos_galleries/bullfight/cropped/BULLFIGHTING-SPAIN-SAN-ISIDRO195149--500x380.jpg

by the way, he did survive, the matador that is. The bull was put down.

Edited by Jim Alfredson
Images too graphic. Had to close the window quickly when I opened this thread with my 6 year old next to me.

I lived in Spain when I was a kid and saw a few but no gorings like that. It's not a sport but some kind of activity that's part of the culture, of what makes Spain a fascinating place. However, I think it's time for it to go.

I lived in Spain when I was a kid and saw a few but no gorings like that. It's not a sport but some kind of activity that's part of the culture, of what makes Spain a fascinating place. However, I think it's time for it to go.

Spain?

Spain?

Yes, I lived in Barcelona and Madrid. Great cities.

Good for the bull.

You would think. But despite the fact that the bull won fair and square, they killed it afterwards anyway. How fair is that? Surely they should have let it live, since it won.

There are videos of it at YouTube. The bullfighter was badly injured, but with his history as a professional animal torturer, I can't say I feel too sorry for him.

I haven't seen the video but I would imagine that after he was gored, another toreador came in to finish the job.

For those who may not know or care, if a fighter finishes off the bull quickly and well, you can be awarded one or both of the bull's ears and for an exceptional job, the tail as well huh.gif

Bullfighting is pretty horrible, IMO, as is the Running of the Bulls - rather than reverence for a spirited animal, it's perverse and barbaric and often just stupid.

Agreed. And the counter-arguments of cultural relativism are to be roundly dismissed, imo.

I always wanted to run with the bulls in Pamplona but somehow never got around to it. I would say that is one time where the bulls have the upper hand.

If you want to get a flavor of it, try reading Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises or one of his other books.

They also have (or had) bullfighting in Portugal, the principal difference being they don't kill the bull. I remember watching one on Spanish tv years ago; it's a rather odd spectacle with a bunch of people chasing the bull or something like that. There are videos on youtube.

I always wanted to run with the bulls in Pamplona but somehow never got around to it. I would say that is one time where the bulls have the upper hand.

They also have (or had) bullfighting in Portugal, the principal difference being they don't kill the bull. I remember watching one on Spanish tv years ago; it's a rather odd spectacle with a bunch of people chasing the bull or something like that. There are videos on youtube.

And in a bunch of Latin America as well: http://blog.therealcostarica.com/2006/01/06/festivals-bullfighting-and-stuff/

I am not going to try and mount a moral defense of bullfighting, but it's a misconception to think of it as a sport or a contest which either side can "win". In Spain it's seen as closer to watching great theater a la Shakespeare- man and bull are actors in a tragic drama whose outcome is preordained, and it's the quality of their performances that matter, not who "wins." So comparisons to dogfighting are kind of inexact, too.

Edited by Big Wheel

... it's the quality of their performances that matter, not who "wins." So comparisons to dogfighting are kind of inexact, too.

Unless you see both as nothing more than humans torturing animals.

I understand the guy is back in intensive care. The bull is still dead.

Edited by papsrus

... it's the quality of their performances that matter, not who "wins." So comparisons to dogfighting are kind of inexact, too.

Unless you see both as nothing more than humans torturing animals.

Obviously, if you see both that way that is going to be how you see it. Point is, the Spaniards don't see it that way, and they are the ones doing the bullfighting. Whatever our opinions on bullfighting I think we can all agree that a large chunk of the Spanish population isn't into bullfighting simply because they're a bunch of sadistic monsters.