Vinyl Needledops sold as legitimate releases

In the past week, I've bought two official major-label CD releases that are just vinyl needle-drops. The first is Baroque Jazz Trio's 'BJT' on Harmonia Mundi, and Sun Ra's 'Nuclear War' on Atavistic. I'm grateful to have the music, but I make better sounding needle-drops to play on my computer using my modest system. If I wanted needle-drops of these albums, I would have just searched Google. Anyone else have this experience?

Edited by peterintoronto

I have a few Fresh Sound cds which have clearly been copied straight from vinyl. Occasionally they seem to have been poorly declicked altering the sound considerably. Like you I could do better in some instances on my pc given a decent record to strat with.

Unfortunately most labels only indicate their sources when this info is positive ("transfered from the original master tapes").

It's odd that many 1980's CD reissues contain an disclaimer, where the label apologizes for the tape hiss of the analogue recording (although the sound is fine), while today they don't find it necessary to mention that the CD was dubbed from vinyl.

In the past week, I've bought two official major-label CD releases that are just vinyl needle-drops. The first is Baroque Jazz Trio's 'BJT' on Harmonia Mundi, and Sun Ra's 'Nuclear War' on Atavistic. I'm grateful to have the music, but I make better sounding needle-drops to play on my computer using my modest system. If I wanted needle-drops of these albums, I would have just searched Google. Anyone else have this experience?

People clamoring for reissues where the original masters are nowhere to be found result in this situation. I don't know when HM did the BJT LP (got it on wax m'self) but Atavistic did Nuclear War some time ago. Maybe they would have done a better job now - though there's only so much you can do with a Y Records pressing...

They should have used my copy - not a mark on it. :)

If only they (i.e. the reissuers) always knew who owns what among the collecting fraternity and would be prepared to make it available ...

I'd bet they often are up against a "No, nobody is going to listen to my pristine copy except me - can't let everybody out there benefit from 50 years of carefully cherishing my exceedingly carefully played copy" attitude ;) Don't we all know one or the other selfish collecting hermit of that kind?

BTW, I have no real complaints about Fresh Sound and similar "niche market" reissue labels but as mentioned above, it indeed is odd that the disclaimers often found on reissues in the past are now increasingly dispensed with, as if they all adopted a sort of "take it or leave it" attitude.

That said, maybe some of those who complain about LP needle drop reissues ought to listen a bit mroe often to 78-rpm era vinyl or CD reissues to get their ears tuned in to some real hiss, pop and crackle. Not everybody is (or was) a John R.T. Davies, not every reissue project can be given the full treatment (as in the case of those hot Five box sets, so one hears) and very, very often the music warrants even a bit of effort to "listen through" that "period noise".

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I am totally cool with buying needle-drops of rare stuff that I'd never be able to own for less than $500, but please don't charge me $15-$20 for it. There are literally hundreds of private-press free jazz albums that I wouldn't mind paying $5-$10 for, but at least I'd know they were needle-drops going into it.

Well I have objections to needledrops. I want to know it is an LP dub before I buy it and if I buy it at all (unlikely) I certainly won't pay full price. I suppose for me it's simple. I don't need all music. If I want to listen to an LP, I'll accomplish that by playing an LP. If I buy a CD I want to know it has been taken from proper sources, otherwise I'm not buying. It's kind of ridiculous listening to an LP on a CD.

I've nothing against needle-drops. It's the music that's important. But I do expect reasonable quality. I had a Jazz View cd that was disgraceful, they couldn't have found a worse copy.

Note on Jazz View: bleurgh.

I am totally cool with buying needle-drops of rare stuff that I'd never be able to own for less than $500, but please don't charge me $15-$20 for it. There are literally hundreds of private-press free jazz albums that I wouldn't mind paying $5-$10 for, but at least I'd know they were needle-drops going into it.

FLACS and mp3s of those free jazz albums are all over the internet. I'm surprised that you can restrain youself. Sure, they are not legal, but how many of the CD issues, when they exist, are legal?

Edited by David Ayers

I don't mind needle drops - I used to do a fair amount of mastering from LPs - the engineer is the key - turntable, stylus, phono pre-amp - judicious use of CEDAR, if available - also, EQ. And, one can edit on disc so the beginnings and ends of cuts are not so obviously vinyl.

Edited by AllenLowe

I love needle drops...as long as I'm the one doing the mastering. greengrin.gif

Become quite adept over the years, I have some discs that even once they were re-issued on CDs, my LP rips still sounded better.

My latest thing is remastering live bootlegs, love that stuff, really fun to take something that sounds almost unlistenable and "FIND" the music within, it's like treasure hunting.