Why is jazz "background music"

GregK

I mean that jazz was designed to be played in places where people would dance and drink and talk. So it has to have an element in it that people don't have to listen to analytically.

I suggested that people who reject the idea of jazz as background music only have to consult their own experience of listening to jazz in this way to have some idea how people who are nonchalant about it might think.

Consider anything which does not interest you - wine, bridge construction, website construction etc etc - each of these things is of immense complexity, but does not have to be accessed in terms of the highest analytical level.

Jazz is just one of the things in life it is possible to be interested in. But its not compulsory. Ever boogied? And if you have, were you really really listening to every note?

Okay, first of all, Jazz was not "designed". There were no board meetings held among the musicians to vote or take a consensus on what the primary goals and functions of the music should be.

Second of all, I will agree that there was a tendency in the Jazz Age (Hot Jazz and Swing Era) to view Jazz as a music to aid social settings - the charleston, swing dancing, and lindy hopping. But I'm pretty sure that the development of Bop and its subsequent offshootings such as straight ahead, modal, fusion, and avant and free styles left that idea behind. Those cats wanted to be payed attention to, and if they didn't I'm a cheese sandwich.

Thirdly, I think one of the main problems in our society is that no one wants to deal with the details of things which, in their minds, doesn't directly effect their paycheck. I believe that this world would be a much better place if the people who had the opportunities for knowledge (public libraries and a little bit of time) would learn more about higher math (which would give them a decent, but not expert, understanding about how bridges are constructed), chemistry (which would give them a better, but not expert, understanding about how wine is brewed, and maybe even possibly art (which would give them a better, but not expert, understanding about the purpose of art and why it is made).

Fourthly, I used to swing dance, and no, you are quite right, I was not analyzing the music as I did so. Then again, we weren't dancing to Parker, Diz, Monk, Mingus, Trane, MJQ, Art Blakey, Ornette Coleman, or Cecil Taylor.

If there's a lot of conversing involved I usually go w/o the music, because if I'm trying to listen to someone the music is always distracting me. Ever put on a choice recording for friends and they immediately (or eventually)start talking? Sometimes that really offends me, although I guess I shouldn't take it personally. <_<

I notice the same thing!! Everybody here makes good points, which is very reassuring. It's good to realize that there are intelligent people out there who do actively listen to jazz (or any music). I just can't imagine not hearing all the wonderful elements that are in a good jazz tune, which you can't possibly pick up if it's relegated to the "background"

Think about it: In our present-day world, the ONLY instrumental music that many people have been exposed to is background music -- on TV, in movies, in elevators, at the grocery store. So they are CONDITIONED not to listen. This is a huge contributor to the audience-building problems that both jazz and classical music are facing now.

Spontooneous has an interesting point about our usual encounters with instrumental music, although I don't think that we're conditioned not to listen, but rather we are conditioned not to analyze it in the same way as music with lyrics.

Another problem is that many will put jazz on at a low volume, obscuring the details. My wife is a perfect example. She likes jazz at an almost sub-audible volume--in the background. She complains that I listen to it too loudly. I confronted her once when she was listening to talk radio. I turned the volume down to where she usually puts it for jazz and she complained that while she could hear it she couldn’t get everything they were saying---“Exactly!” I cried, when the music is too low you can’t get everything the musicians are saying!

(She still doesn’t get it) :wacko:

Gack! The idea of listening to jazz with conversation going on is a bit much. Hell, I always feel the urge to turn around and glare at someone while listening to the CD Misterioso. That jackass clinking his spoon really gets my goat. But not use it in the background at all? I hope it doesn't offend anyone that I have Coltrane's Live at the Village Vanguard playing right now. Admittedly, I'd be doing a lot less backing up and retyping if I turned it off. Come to think of it, I guess it's the bulletin board that's "background" right now...

I struggle with this issue all the time. There are some people I know who I'll turn on a serious grooving piece and they'll start talking. Iremember last year when I played Jaco's "Come on Come Over" a tried to draw attention to Herbie's solo entrance, nobody pained attention. Mostly because many people aren't able to critically analyze, noticing when a tune is modal as opposed to changes, recognizing a players fav. licks, etc. One of the things in the jazz class I TA'ed this semester that we did was try to get people listening to jazz critically, it was an intro course surveying jazz history, getting people familar with key names and styles, and also showing that styles that had their heyday several decades ago are still alive and well, hopefully some of the people gained an interest and will pursye the artform. One of the things I got people interested was when I taught a section on hard bop and showed the students "Moanin" off the One Night With Blue Note DVD, and also when doing a short presentation on Pat Metheny when we were doing the Jazz Today category, I showed "Are You Going With Me?" from the More Travels video and I noticed many had their eyes glued on the screen which was a good sign.

I think, as a general life rule, when you dislike your job you should find a new one. Many people, our pianist is one, act as if their job is a court ordered sentence.

They need to listen to more jazz!

I agree. There are a lot of musicians and teachers who seem pretty bitter and make you wonder why they're doing it if they are so unhappy.

As far as "needing to listen to more jazz", I doubt that would have much of an effect. Obviously there are personal issues about life and self-esteem that need to be addressed before any change in attitude (or musical taste)can take place. Change most often occurs only when someone wants to change. I tried a couple of times to quit smoking, but it wasn't until I decided that I wanted to change (for myself, not for anyone else) that I succeeded. Now the urges are so slight and manageable that I don't even notice them (it's been two years).

Anyway, back to topic. I often have music on while I am doing something else- on the computer, working around the house- and I don't feel like I'm doing a disservice to the music. I also engage in focused listening- no distractions, maybe headphones. I think both types are certainly valid.

EDIT: I would add that my "background" listening takes place when I'm doing things not requiring a lot of talking. If there's a lot of conversing involved I usually go w/o the music, because if I'm trying to listen to someone the music is always distracting me. Ever put on a choice recording for friends and they immediately (or eventually)start talking? Sometimes that really offends me, although I guess I shouldn't take it personally. <_<

I find that I have lost the ability to listen to jazz passively. I'd like to be able to put on headphones at work to both muffle the background noise but I find that I become lost in the music and get nothing done. I too get annoyed when people come over to listen to music and then start talking.

Some close friends of ours are a well-known husband and wife bluegrass "band." Whenever we get together we share some music. I get a kick out of this 6 foot 7 inch guy raising his left hand in the air, his right index finder to his pursed lips "shushing" adults when the music is on. "If you need to talk I can turn off the music!"

Echoing and amplifying what others have said, I think many people consider all music, background music. They don't value it like we do. They don't buy heaps of recorded music. They can live with the cr*p played on the radio. Or nothing at all. For some, music is just a chance encounter. Casey Kasem (sp?) tells 'em what they like and, by gum, they do.

Books are much the same - a way to fill a commute or kill time while breeding skin cancer cells on a beach.

Even after parsing out those things that I actively dislike (television, movies...hell, most of pop culture), there are many things I'm not passionate about, that many care deeply about. Food. Jewelry. Watches. Shoes. Museums. Celebrities.

Hey, to each his/her own. We've only so much passion (and time and money) to spread around. I'm applying mine toward music.

I've taken a much more "live and let live" attitude with music over the years. So it doesn't bother me too much that other people don't "get" jazz or treat it as "background music." It's their loss, you know?

I do remember a comment similar to the "nobody really understands jazz" comment that I heard years ago, when I was first getting interested in jazz (early 90s). I was in a movie theater in Boston, waiting for the show to start. They were playing jazz on the in-house system (I wasn't sophisticated enough to recogize it, but it runs in my mind that it was Miles Davis, possibily something from "Kind of Blue"). The guy sitting in front of me was going on and on to his girlfriend about how much he hates jazz, how it's the "biggest scam ever perpetrated on the American public," and how "nobody really likes it. They just pretend to so they'll look smart." I wasn't knowledgable enough to respond to the guy, so I kept my mouth shut. If I knew then what I know now, I really could've taken the guy to school! But as I said before, I really don't care what other people like or don't like. Music is extremely important to me. I love jazz. Music isn't as important to other people. I can't change it, so why fuss?

I have jazz music playing in the background all the time, but that is not my primary/preferred way to really listen to it.

What drives me crazy is when there is something really great being played and no one else is willing to pay any attention. Nothing more frustrating than being moved nearly to tears by a great piece of music while everyone around you continues yapping and chewing on their scones... it makes me want to start shaking people and yelling "don't you GET IT??"

The guy sitting in front of me was going on and on to his girlfriend about how much he hates jazz, how it's the "biggest scam ever perpetrated on the American public," and how "nobody really likes it. They just pretend to so they'll look smart."

No reason to get mad at people like this. All they are doing is revealing their ignorance. And in the earlier case of the pianist, who should know better, even more than that is revealed, such as a deep seated frustration with his or her own improvisational abilities (or the lack thereof).

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue" (Prov. 17:28).

The best thing to do with a statements like these, that are so wrong on several levels, is to look past the statement itself and try to figure out the thoughts that generated it.

If you're so inclined.

I find that I have lost the ability to listen to jazz passively. I'd like to be able to put on headphones at work to both muffle the background noise but I find that I become lost in the music and get nothing done. I too get annoyed when people come over to listen to music and then start talking.

If I'm going to listen to music at work (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't), I find that it has to be a very narrow definition of jazz. Let's just say that if I'm at work listening to jazz, Hard Bop would feel very welcome in my office. There's no way I could listen to stuff that I'm just now discovering and get my work done. I'm listening to an artist now that I just recently got into, and it's taking me forever to write this damned post...

Background Music sounds like a good tune title to me. B)

Currently (for about 20 years) living in a very small town, it is very difficult to explain what I do for a living.

Jazz is Kenny G or (at best) Kind of Blue. Try explaining the AEC to this community.

I'm a community suspect.

Chuck, I have a degree of the same problem here in Ann Arbor, at least amongst the people I work with (in a chemical/biotech company). You would think at least ONE of these U of M or MSU grads would have the slightest appreciation for jazz, but music is Bob Seger or nothing to them!!

Where I work - a University English Department - everybody is totally clued up to Davis and Coltrane and their like. My brother and his offspring love Maynard Ferguson's Big Bop Nouveau, and even my mum asked me to tape Ike Quebec's Soul Samba for her (er... which I didn't do of course, that being illegal an' all...). My niece wants me to take her to Ronnie Scott's and my youngest nephew plays baritone sax in the school band (as well as clarinet alto guitar bass and piano).

The last jazz acts we had on the campus were Trevor Watts and Stacey Kent (not together). And the best acts in the world appear just up the road in London.

So I suppose I don't have the sense of swimming against the mainstream which some of you guys have.

Edited by David Ayers

Where I work - a University English Department - everybody is totally clued up to Davis and Coltrane and their like. My brother and his offspring love Maynard Ferguson's Big Bop Nouveau, and even my mum asked me to tape Ike Quebec's Soul Samba for her (er... which I didn't do of course, that being illegal an' all...). My niece wants me to take her to Ronnie Scott's and my youngest nephew plays baritone sax in the school band (as well as clarinet alto guitar bass and piano).

The last jazz acts we had on the campus were Trevor Watts and Stacey Kent (not together). And the best acts in the world appear just up the road in London.

So I suppose I don't have the sense of swimming against the mainstream which some of you guys have.

David that's awesome. The place I live in is probably one of the squarest places on the planet. All I ever get from people is "you listen to Jazz!?" and I hear alot of passing comments like the ones above "Jazz is stupid, huhuhuhuh" or "yeah Jazz good for background and stuff". So, I guess I'm a little bitter. :D