Henry Threadgill - any recommendations

coreymwamba

Hey Corey - we should have had this conversation the other day - I'm something of a Threadgill junkie!!! As suggested above, I'd definitely get this...'Song Out Of My Trees' is perhaps my favourite Threadgill...and that collection gives you a good sampling of earlier stuff...

In the car on the way to a gig today, I was listening to 'Too Much Sugar For a Dime'...knocked me out completely...amazing compositionally...the Very Very Circus band has two tubas amongst other things, which alone makes it a necessity...here's the band in action. The tune is the final track from the album.

There's so much great stuff by him...check this out...definitely too bad this didn't record officially.

Which interview were you reading? Was it the complete text of the recent Wire thing? That's online somewhere...I found that completely inspirational...

Maybe the recent Threadgill feature in Signal to Noise?

Basically anything I've heard of his is worth checking out--a strong 2nd vote for Song Out of My Trees. I also like Carry the Day, probably the best of the Columbias. I assume the thread linked to above will sort out the earlier Air & Sextett stuff, which I only know a bit of.

For those who like to buy new stuff, the latest Pi release is a gem, as were the two prior to it.

Threadgill's music has consistently be an ongoing orgasm for people like me who like to hear drummers...in the music. Don't know that I've ever heard a Threadgill record where the drumming is anything less than distinctively outstanding.

Thanks everyone! Perversely, when I listened to Air about 13 years ago, I didn't like it. But tastes change, so a re-listening is in order. I suspect that I prefer his newer stuff though. So

For those who like to buy new stuff, the latest Pi release is a gem, as were the two prior to it.

I will be checking out Pi.

Hey Corey - we should have had this conversation the other day - I'm something of a Threadgill junkie!!!

Blast. Right then, I'll have to nab you when I next see you. Which I hope will be soon! I might have some news... :)

As suggested above, I'd definitely get this...'Song Out Of My Trees' is perhaps my favourite Threadgill...and that collection gives you a good sampling of earlier stuff...

That looks tasty... will be acquiring next week. Those videos are fantastic!

Which interview were you reading? Was it the complete text of the recent Wire thing? That's online somewhere...I found that completely inspirational...

Maybe the recent Threadgill feature in Signal to Noise?

I can't remember which one it was now... I think it may have been a PDF, but then again... But I have found an appraisal of the album I listened to:

http://www.brooklynrail.org/2010/04/music/regarding-henry

Just to avoid any possible misunderstanding, Pi is the label. There's three Threadgill albums on the label, one quite recent, and all excellent.

That's all right - I understood you :) Its catalogue is fascinating - thanks for the heads-up.

It was the Wire transcript I had read previously. For reference:

http://thewire.co.uk/articles/3251/

I've been doing some more reading, and video watching in lieu of listening. The Zooid group is certainly hitting the spot.

Threadgill's music has consistently be an ongoing orgasm for people like me who like to hear drummers...in the music. Don't know that I've ever heard a Threadgill record where the drumming is anything less than distinctively outstanding.

YES! His drummers are quite incredible. I was thinking a couple of days ago listening to 'Makin' a Move' (the Very Very Circus album, rather than the group) how awesome Pheeroan sounds with Threadgill...all the Sextett stuff obviously, but the VVC soundworld too...in fact, his rhythm sections just groove like absolute crazy...watching that Very Very Circus video...how could you not PLAY over that vibe!?!

One of the amazing things about Threadgill's music to me is how it completely shatters/sidesteps the 'accessibility'/'innovation'/'avant garde'-type debates...it's new as you like, in the tradition as you like, totally individual as you like, weird as you like, familiar as you like, grooving like mad...

YES! His drummers are quite incredible. I was thinking a couple of days ago listening to 'Makin' a Move' (the Very Very Circus album, rather than the group) how awesome Pheeroan sounds with Threadgill...all the Sextett stuff obviously, but the VVC soundworld too...in fact, his rhythm sections just groove like absolute crazy...watching that Very Very Circus video...how could you not PLAY over that vibe!?!

One of the amazing things about Threadgill's music to me is how it completely shatters/sidesteps the 'accessibility'/'innovation'/'avant garde'-type debates...it's new as you like, in the tradition as you like, totally individual as you like, weird as you like, familiar as you like, grooving like mad...

In agreement there... his voice is purely about music. And the drummers are all killing [and the one in Zooid is certainly worth a look:

http://pirecordings.com/artist/Elliot+Humberto_Kavee

I'm loving his flow and space!]

Thank you again, all.

Edited by coreymwamba

• 3 weeks later...

Strong point. His music is uniquely cynetic, indeed. Great drummers among great musicians.

My favorite are the first two sextet records on About Time, Just the Facts and Pass the Bucket and When Was That.

My favorite Air records are Open Air Suite and 80 Below in '82

Henry and I live in the same neighborhood and favor the same Italian cafe. Me for the gelato and Henry for the cappuccino.

They have tables outside in the Summer and we sit out there for hours on occasion.

My favorite subject reminiscing about hearing the Sextet pretty much from it's inception when I was in High School and just getting into jazz.

Joseph Bowie was the first trombonist in the band and I saw him many times with the group.

They played all sorts of places I can't remember now, many lofts and clubs that are now defunct. Fortunately for me, Henry remembers a few of them.

I haven't heard the new CD yet but I'm looking forward to it.

The third Sextet album, Subject to Change, available on LP only from Cadence. Recorded live to two track. The brass section for that album was Ray Anderson and Rasul Siddik, with the same strings and percussion as Just the Facts and Pass the Bucket. The record was overlooked a bit but it made several top ten lists for the year. I know it's one of Threadgill's personal favorites, at least of the records made with the Sextet. All of the About Time Threadgill Sextet albums are available from Cadence, and the first two are on ITunes and CD.

The third Sextet album, Subject to Change, available on LP only from Cadence. Recorded live to two track. The brass section for that album was Ray Anderson and Rasul Siddik, with the same strings and percussion as Just the Facts and Pass the Bucket. The record was overlooked a bit but it made several top ten lists for the year. I know it's one of Threadgill's personal favorites, at least of the records made with the Sextet. All of the About Time Threadgill Sextet albums are available from Cadence, and the first two are on ITunes and CD.

So - when is Subject To Change going to be reissued on CD?

Good question. There is no date for a CD issue. A digital issue will likely appear on ITunes before it does on CD. Do you have the LP?

Good question. There is no date for a CD issue. A digital issue will likely appear on ITunes before it does on CD. Do you have the LP?

My turntable is long gone, never to return. Sold all of my vinyl years ago.