Who do you most wish had lived to record 3 more albums?

Bol

Here are a couple of frivolous questions.

(1) Lots of great jazz musicians died quite young. Who, aside from Charlie Parker, do you most wish had lived a little longer to record 3 more albums?

(2) Who do you most wish had recorded 3 (additional) albums with Alfred Lion?

I expect many will name John Coltrane. My own answer to both questions: Booker Little. His 4 albums are all astounding; and he seems to have been on a very steep upward trajectory. Too bad he died so early.

Edited by Bol

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first thought is to ask myself, "Whose last albums were great?"

I don't know if this answers that question, but I will vote for Michael Brecker, a favorite of mine.

(I wish that Steve Marcus had recorded more. I loved him when I was in college, but I've grown tired of what I have of his.)

In terms of Alfred Lion, definitely Fats Navarro.

Ah, I should have thought of Brownie. But I will stick with Booker Little. I think he was onto more unusual & singular things.

My runner-ups to (2): Tina Brooks, Thad Jones, Louis Smith, and Cecil Taylor of the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Edited by Bol

Ah, I should have thought of Brownie. But I will stick with Booker Little. I think he was onto more unusual & singular things.

The first names that immediately came to mind were those two. I just wonder if Clifford had been around longer how he might have gotten into some new territory. I mean, he was hanging out with Eric Dolphy!

Many good answers already -- Clifford Brown, Eric Dolphy, Wardell Gray, Booker Little.

I'm trying to think of others who died far too young who showed great promise and potential. Here are a couple in response to the first question: Frank Teschemacher and Stan Hasselgard.

Edited by jazztrain

Yes Tesch was a marvelous player whose ideas and execution were way beyond those of his contemporaries - at least on record. It's also interesting to contemplate what someone as gifted as Bunny Berigan might have given us if he'd kicked the booze and survived into the LP era. Imagine the Buck Clayton Jam Sessions with Bunny as well!