2010-2011 Hot Stove Thread

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I read someplace that Zack Greinke said he'd waive his no trade clause and agree to a trade to New York? That might be a pretty attractive alternative to Cliff Lee. Greinke just turned 27 and he's healthy. As a matter of fact, he's thrown over 200 innings for Kansas City in each of the last three seasons. Granted, you'd have to give up some high level talent to get him while Lee is "free" in that regard, but over the long haul, I'm not sure he isn't the better option.

Zach Greinke also has social anxiety disorder. His pitching for NY could be a disaster with that ailment.Picture him with a gazillion reporters around his locker after a tough loss, it may be too much for him to handle. I like him as a pitcher, but i think he's not cut out for NY.

Zach Greinke also has social anxiety disorder. His pitching for NY could be a disaster with that ailment.Picture him with a gazillion reporters around his locker after a tough loss, it may be too much for him to handle. I like him as a pitcher, but i think he's not cut out for NY.

See Ed Whitson, Randy Johnson and Carl Pavano for further proof.

SI.com's Jon Heyman reporting via Twitter that the Red Sox may have made a play for Mo Rivera, offering him a three-year contract, but that Mo's going to stay with NY for fewer years and less money (2 yrs/30 million). Also says the Angels may have been prepared to offer him three years. Dan: if true about the Bosox making a play for Mo, what do you think? Was it just a ploy on their part, or do you think they really would have wanted to sign him?

Other hot-stove hearsay: the Yankees will up their offer to Jeter, possibly to 4 yrs, possibly 16-18 million annually. That sounds about right to me and Jeter should accept it, if true.

Wake up you sleepyhead Red Sox fans, Christmas has come early for you guys!!! Man, I am sure some of these guys must be high on the talent charts, but their minor numbers do not impress at all...If I was a Padre fan, I would be majorly P.O.ed...though it's still early, and some other folks names will be tossed in.

Edited by BERIGAN

Where's Dan? I think he'd be shouting from the rooftops. If the Sox also land Carl Crawford, they're back in the game. Geez, they may be back in the game now. Not liking this.

Great day For Red Sox Fans !!!!, It's all Red Sox talk right now (in the face of the upcoming pats/Jets game)

on EEI proving that this is a Baseball Town always has been ,always will be.

Where's Dan? I think he'd be shouting from the rooftops. If the Sox also land Carl Crawford, they're back in the game. Geez, they may be back in the game now. Not liking this.

Dan mentioned the Gonzalez possibility at some point here recently.

I think if Boston also adds Crawford or Werth that you have to make them favorites to win the AL East next year, even if the Yankees succeed in landing Lee.

Assuming they reach agreement on a contract extension, Gonzalez is just a start and I don't see where Crawford or Werth are as big a help for the money they will command and their ages (especially if Crawford wants 8 years - let the Yankees give it to him).

What I like about this deal is that with Gonzalez signed, Anthony Rizzo would be blocked anyway - even though he could turn into the next great young slugging 1B in the majors - and the third prospect, while #6 in the system, seems like an Ellsbury without any pop at all. So they are giving up Kelly, who is the #1 prospect they've got but seemed to me like a guy who might turn out to be an Ian Kennedy, no overpowering weapon to survive in the AL East, but probably good enough to do well in the no-DH league.

So that's a fine trade from my perspective, so long as the PTBNL isn't that really impressive kid from LSU who tumbled to Boston in the draft due to injury and signability issues, then dominated the Cape Cod league before coming to terms. He seemed to have more obvious potential than Kelly, so he better not be the fourth piece, as far as I am concerned.

As for Werth and Crawford, first off this team needs bullpen help more than offensive help (especially with Gonzalez on board and Pedroia and Youk unlikely to suffer such fluke injuries again) and on top of that, one of the few joys of watching them in 2010 was seeing the sparks of potential greatness in kids like Ryan Kalish and Josh Reddick. I see no reason to overpay for Werth or Crawford when you've got kids like that knocking on the door.

Edited by Dan Gould

Dan: in terms of Crawford or Werth, I'm speaking only to 2011, not to the long-term wisdom of signing either. Either player would make an already-strong offense that much stronger. BTW, re: the bullpen, how many years are left on Papelbon's contract--one? I'm just wondering how soon Bard will become the new closer. I can't speak to the rest of your 2011 bullpen situation.

Per your note on the contract extension, all kinds of reports on Twitter right now that the deal fell through, at least for now, because of negotiation disagreements between AG and the Bosox. Some reports indicate that there's still a possibility he ends up with them, though.

Edited by ghost of miles

Papelbon has been on a one year contract all along because he previously refused long-term offers due to his inflated sense of himself and his belief that he must make a Rivera-like salary. Too bad he's had two down seasons in a row just as he reaches free agency after 2011. He desperately needs to have a much better season or he isn't going to be setting the market for closers a year from now, or at least he won't be making 15 million a year.

As for Gonzalez, I am tired of trolling for information. I assume things will be sorted out by tonight whether the deal is dead, approved without an extension in place, or whether they just needed extra time. MLB has granted up to 72 hours for negotiation, why would this be so limited? There is no reason for the Red Sox to go this long pursuing Gonzalez and then, with no other teams bidding, can't reach an agreement. They suddenly go cheap when their dream hitter is in their grasp?

On the other hand, Gonzalez should prefer that a deal be struck even without an extension, as another season in San Diego does nothing for his perceived value, but a season knocking balls over and through the Monster only makes him more marketable in 2011 (see Beltre, Adrian).

But with no assurance of having him locked up, they can't give up so much, which could make it tough for San Diego to make the trade.

Edited by Dan Gould

man, if MLB trade rumors is to be believed, the Gonzalez deal is dead and Jason Werth has signed a deal with....the Nationals!!!! :blink:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

It's a done deal.

7-yr, $126m

I wonder if it's all guaranteed. That's like $18 million per season for a guy who was dead last in the NL w/ RISP and 2 outs. If that's all guaranteed they overpaid.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/12/nationals_sign_jayson_werth.html

The Nationals have signed free agent outfielder Jayson Werth, according to a source, robbing the division rival Philadelphia Phillies of one of their best players and making stunning improvement to their immediate chances at contention.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Robbing the Phillies?? Your team just signed a 31 year old outfielder for 7 years and $126 million that struck out 147 times this year and hit .139 w/ RISP and two outs. It was the Nationals that got robbed.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Wow, just wow re: Jayson Werth. :blink: Funny comment over at Over the Monster envisioning Bosox GM Theo Epstein in the midst of ongoing negotiations with Gonzalez and his agent (rumors are they may still be talking):

Theo's Blackberry vibrates

(sees text on Werth contract, mouths “WHAT-THE-FUCK”)

Gonzalez’s agent: Something wrong?

Theo: Uhhhh…yes! We just invaded Iran, I’m sorry but it seems like the dollar is going down the drain? 6/100?

Agent: Good God! You’ve got it!

Non-satirical from ESPN's Buster Olney:

The Werth contract has had an impact of an 8.0 earthquake. Rival gms, execs are going nuts about the terms... Last contract that generated this kind of vitriol was Kevin brown deal.
Edited by ghost of miles

There's a post at the NBC Baseball blog arguing that the Red Sox are right to back out, that they can get Gonzalez in a year and keep their prospects.

Fucking stupid, if that is Theo's theory, and the proof is in Werth's senseless contract: There is always the risk of some poorly run team over-bidding to get someone like Adrian Gonzalez. If this was Theo, and not John Henry, then he deserves to be run out of town on a rail. Gonzalez is there for the taking, no one competing for his services, and they couldn't get a deal done.

Unless its turned out that Gonzalez thinks he's worth A-Rod or Pujols money, then this is totally the fault of a penny-wise and pound-foolish front office.

And if anyone thinks Carl Crawford is going to be any cheaper than Jason Werth ... I mean no rational person, given a choice between the two, goes for Jason Werth. Crawford hits, runs, plays defense and has shown some power. Werth is a nice player - and a couple of years older, too.

Now when Beltre's price goes up, Sox fans can say hello to their new starting 3B. Its their old backup SS: Jed Lowrie.

Fucking makes me want to puke. :bad: :bad: :bad:

There's a post at the NBC Baseball blog arguing that the Red Sox are right to back out, that they can get Gonzalez in a year and keep their prospects.

Fucking stupid, if that is Theo's theory, and the proof is in Werth's senseless contract: There is always the risk of some poorly run team over-bidding to get someone like Adrian Gonzalez. If this was Theo, and not John Henry, then he deserves to be run out of town on a rail. Gonzalez is there for the taking, no one competing for his services, and they couldn't get a deal done.

Unless its turned out that Gonzalez thinks he's worth A-Rod or Pujols money, then this is totally the fault of a penny-wise and pound-foolish front office.

And if anyone thinks Carl Crawford is going to be any cheaper than Jason Werth ... I mean no rational person, given a choice between the two, goes for Jason Werth. Crawford hits, runs, plays defense and has shown some power. Werth is a nice player - and a couple of years older, too.

Now when Beltre's price goes up, Sox fans can say hello to their new starting 3B. Its their old backup SS: Jed Lowrie.

Fucking makes me want to puke. :bad: :bad: :bad:

He wants $160 mil for 8 years and the Sox couldn't /wouldn't complete that signing ???????????

That's Theo and his Bullshit years crap .......the guy should be good for 8 years !!!!!!

Theo SUX

They were just commenting on Comcast Sportsnet and Buckley said that the deal

should be in the Mark Teixeira range .....In fact he is a better player than Teixeira.

So this should not have been a surprise for the Sox brass.

They were talking about next year with the 3 big 1st baseman out on the market ,Pujols,Fielder and

Gonzalez and that the Yanks will not be driving up the price on any of these guys with 6 years left

on Teixeira and big salaries on Jeter,Posada.....so the Yanks have dug them selves a ditch.

But right now the Red Sox have taken a Major PR blow !!!!!!!

Great quote...

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson seemed to think Werth got the better end of the deal.

"It makes some of our contracts look pretty good," Alderson said. "That's a long time and a lot of money. I thought they were trying to reduce the deficit in Washington."

:rofl: