Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Off topic, but as someone who knows someone with "inside" experience with the USPS, anything shipped standard after 12/1 might take a month to arrive, even if it is traveling just a couple of states. The quasi-governmental unionized bureaucracy that is the USPS is currently trying to cut costs by "swallowing its tail." It is not a merit-based organization either (i.e., do a good job, and be rewarded). If it is not sent "priority mail," it is placed on the back burner, even if it was ordered way early. If you need anything in December with timeliness, go with UPS, FedEx, or DHL. However, during most months, USPS shipping is decent, and at a reasonable cost.

Back on topic: if anyone comes across a decent deal on Wes Montgomery's Complete Riverside Recordings (for under $100, or under $80 preferably), please post. I missed some of the good prices in recent months.

Newbury Comics Burlington,MA has the Montgomery Box for $69.99

Edited by Morganized

Rub it in, Morganized!:)

Not my intent.... I think the USPS gets a bad rap sometimes. I hope your Rollins shows up eventually.

One more time - don't abandon all hope until you check the Dead Letter Office. Go to your post office and ask them for the number, it's in Georgia somewhere, and stuff that shows as having been delivered but actually wasn't can end up there.

I just got my Sonny Rllins freelance box. Thanks for the tips, everyone!

I bought the Beatles mono box through Amazon used and one disk was scratched. The seller never responded to me or Amazon, so I got a full refund and could keep the box. The disk that was scratched was one of the past masters disks so it turned out well for me. I like Amazon.

One more time - don't abandon all hope until you check the Dead Letter Office. Go to your post office and ask them for the number, it's in Georgia somewhere, and stuff that shows as having been delivered but actually wasn't can end up there.

After some sleuthing, I have determined that the Mail Recovery Center (aka the dead letter office) for packages sent from Massachusetts is in Atlanta. Their phone number is actually an area code 202 number (Washington, DC?). That lady transferred me to Atlanta, which gave me a voice mail message (and would not allow me to leave a message) to call Customer Affairs at 800-275-8777. That lady told me that she is "in the Western United States", and she gave me a case number, which is more than my local post office has done in my calls to them since New Year's Eve. However, when I asked, she refused to say that they would contact the Atlanta MRC to determine if my package is there.

By the way, my local post office refused to give me a phone number for the MRC or help in any way in that regard. I do not feel that I am any closer to finding the package than I was December 31, except now I know that someone else besides my local post office is doing something (although probably not more than contacting my local post office!).

... I do not feel that I am any closer to finding the package than I was December 31, except now I know that someone else besides my local post office is doing something (although probably not more than contacting my local post office!).

Good luck. In addition to the box set I knew the seller wasn't going to produce, I had a book sent from India. I got a yellow slip to sign for it, and left it for the postman for 3 days. Finally, I forgot about it (I thought it was a certified letter about some nearby construction project). When I asked the Indian bookseller where was my book, I finally put two and two together and went to the package retrieval center in Lakeview. I only had another few days before they were going to ship it back, but I certainly never got my second and final notices. Fortunately, that was a fairly rare lapse for the carrier on my route.

When I spoke to the USPS Customer Service rep yesterday, she mentioned in passing that the package was sent Media Mail. That hadn't occurred to me. I wonder if Media Mail items are more likely to be tossed aside and forgotten.

I can tell you that they move a whole lot more s l o w l y through the system. I ship 1st class only. For a couple of extra cents... Actually for a CD or two, domestic US, 1st class is often cheaper.

Edited by BeBop

Media Mail can, occasionally, take forever.

Yes, I once had a shipment from BMG take forever. But in this case, it only took nine days. Remember, the USPS claims that it was delivered on the 20th. So was it misdelivered to someone who kept it, or did the mailman fail to do his job?

Probably both.

My Amazon UK order is now 24 days & counting.

Not to be a downer on such a great deal, but I have heard horrible things about the remastering job on that set.

Could you please expand on that? Usually Japanese remasters sound very good.

I almost ordered it, and I'm not even a fan.

Besides, where else are you going to get 12 cd's for $87?

I stand corrected; it's a 10-album, 12-cd set. Two of the albums are double-cds.