Amy Winehouse

Dave James

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm always drawn back to a video I saw of Winehouse when she first auditioned for Island Records. Just this little girl, alone with a guitar, but a voice that said, better pay attention, Bucko, there's something a little different going on here. I feel bad for her, it's such a misuse of talent. Not that she's the first, or the last artist who got lost in her own ozone and couldn't find a way to exorcise the demons, but it's always sad and it's always wasteful and I can't help but think, unnecessary.

I saw James Brown as bad as that once. It was at Carnegie Hall in the mid-80's. His talk was largely incoherent, he tried to do some of his dance moves but wasn't coordinated enough, and at one point, while the band was vamping, bent down (on stage) and tied his shoe. The woman next to me said "James is into some weird shit." Luckily, he had Maceo in the band, who was great all night.

I'm always drawn back to a video I saw of Winehouse when she first auditioned for Island Records. Just this little girl, alone with a guitar, but a voice that said, better pay attention, Bucko, there's something a little different going on here. I feel bad for her, it's such a misuse of talent. Not that she's the first, or the last artist who got lost in her own ozone and couldn't find a way to exorcise the demons, but it's always sad and it's always wasteful and I can't help but think, unnecessary.

I have a sneaking suspicion that she was never "just this little girl"!

Well all girls were little girls at one time. Here's the point. She wasn't born Amy Winehouse. She became Amy Winehouse. Here's Part 2 from the video documentary I referred to earlier. You may or may not find this interesting. There's a snippet embedded here of her first audition. Maybe not "this little girl" but not very close to the current iteration either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2Lfwp_gDk

Edited by Dave James

That stuff happens hundreds of times and we never know what we missed. We also don't know about stuff we didn't waste our time with.

As sad as Winehouse's personal ordeal is, I'm more disturbed by people's attraction to her suffering. She's more well-known for the tragedy that is her life than she is for her music.

She's more well-known for the tragedy that is her life than she is for her music.

In the tradition!

Amy Winehouse got trashed for your sins...

In related news, they have cancelled the rest of this tour. In all honesty, I hope she can get some help and get herself together, but I think that is fairly unlikely.

I feel the same way about Lindsay Lohan, who is quite a trainwreck herself. The main difference being that I no longer think Lindsay is going to die of a drug overdose.

Is it wrong for me to say that at some point in their lives, people really do have to make the choice to get sober and stay sober, and that if they fail to make that choice, hey, sorry 'bout that, but ya' know, I've pretty much used up my supply of tears for people who make their choices & then get hit by the consequences. It's not nearly "sad" as much as it is predictable and/or inevitable, and life definitely goes on.

The main difference for me between Lohan and Amy Winehouse is that Amy Winehouse actually has talent. Lindsay Lohan is one of those people who is famous for being famous, not unlike Paris Hilton.

I agree re: Paris, but Lohan was once a talented - or at least very promising - young actress with a legitimate career ahead of her. Might not have been at the level of a Streep - not many are! - but she did have talent that she's now squandered.

Is it wrong for me to say that at some point in their lives, people really do have to make the choice to get sober and stay sober, and that if they fail to make that choice, hey, sorry 'bout that, but ya' know, I've pretty much used up my supply of tears for people who make their choices & then get hit by the consequences. It's not nearly "sad" as much as it is predictable and/or inevitable, and life definitely goes on.

Not wrong at all imo.

Whoa, Jim. You're running close to Ebert territory here (he actually had his Facebook page blocked for a while for saying unkind things about the death of the Jackass star, who pretty clearly had been drinking and driving). Maybe you need some more time to reflect on this before people's feelings get bent. ( :wacko: )

Anyway, Lindsay Lohan has considerably more talent than Paris Hilton at least. Though it may be a while before we get to see her act again. I do think she is more likely to get her shit together than Amy Winehouse, though the odds still aren't better than 50-50 she pulls it off.

Whoa, Jim. You're running close to Ebert territory here (he actually had his Facebook page blocked for a while for saying unkind things about the death of the Jackass star, who pretty clearly had been drinking and driving). Maybe you need some more time to reflect on this before people's feelings get bent. ( :wacko: )

Oh, I know it's a tragedy for everybody involved, feelings get bent enough right there, believe me, I know, but... at what point does "What did you THINK was going to happen" become a more realistic - and therefore ultimately positive - reaction than "Oh how sad!"?

If the correct answer is "never", then...we're all just enabling, each in our own way.

I'm not at the point in my life where people knowingly and repeatedly making clearly piss-poor lifestyle choices is something for which I have any interest in finding excuses. We got real problems with inadequate rehab options and recovery support systems, and that makes me just as mad, but one wrong does not excuse the other, ya' know? I've seen enough of this stuff to know the power of the pull back in, but I've also seen too many people reject a helluva lot of serious and sincere help being offered, so hey - you can't protect people from themselves. Not forever.

If Amy Winehouse OD's and dies, what did she THINK was going to happen?

Edited by JSngry

Yeah, I'm with you. Tone is so hard to convey. It is sad, but it isn't precisely tragic, when a long-time abuser dies, because most of them were offered plenty of help. And it isn't like anyone born since the 1960s doesn't know that hard drugs will probably mess you up at least a bit, and then to go ahead and take them anyway...

Oh, I know it's a tragedy for everybody involved, feelings get bent enough right there, believe me, I know, but... at what point does "What did you THINK was going to happen" become a more realistic - and therefore ultimately positive - reaction than "Oh how sad!"?

If the correct answer is "never", then...we're all just enabling, each in our own way.

I'm not at the point in my life where people knowingly and repeatedly making clearly piss-poor lifestyle choices is something for which I have any interest in finding excuses. We got real problems with inadequate rehab options and recovery support systems, and that makes me just as mad, but one wrong does not excuse the other, ya' know? I've seen enough of this stuff to know the power of the pull back in, but I've also seen too many people reject a helluva lot of serious and sincere help being offered, so hey - you can't protect people from themselves. Not forever.

Yes! It is kind of hard to make the case that Amy Winehouse is a victim of circumstance. She has everything going for her, and plenty of money to get any kind of help that she needs. It is just a matter of her taking responsibility for herself. That is the primary responsibility of any adult.

Yes! It is kind of hard to make the case that Amy Winehouse is a victim of circumstance. She has everything going for her, and plenty of money to get any kind of help that she needs. It is just a matter of her taking responsibility for herself. That is the primary responsibility of any adult.

Sadly, just another over-indulged and overhyped 'muso' from Camden Town still partying like it is 2007. Pete Docherty is another one..

Edited by sidewinder

Amy Winehouse is a victim of her disease. I hope this isn't going to have a tragic end, but it's not looking too good for now.

This afternoon I heard about a woman I knew locally. She had an increasingly dicey connection to reality and that didn't help her get her act together, now she's dead. The brain damage caused by years of drink & drugs made her unable to get a solid grip on any help, a downward spiral that she never pulled out of. The last few times I saw her around, she wasn't making any sense at all.

Addicts can't be advised. They either have to arrive at the realization that they need to get clean, or they ride the addiction clear to oblivion. When they have money and autonomy and no friends or family who hold sway, what can anyone do? We're watching a shooting star, which burned moderately brightly for a few moments, and is quickly fading to black. :(

Amy Winehouse is a victim of her disease.

Amy Winehouse has a disease. What she's a victim of is her choices in how to deal with it (if you can believe what you see and hear).

OK, whatever. It's just my opinion, either she get's "it" or not.