Blue Note 78s With Pink and Black Labels

Cootie625

Hello Everyone:

I am old lover of jazz who is new to this site--and I will begin with a post that shows that my knowledge falls far short of my devotion to the music. I have a copy of Blue Note 1, the 12" 78 of Meade "Lux" Lewis, with a pink and black label and I'm interested in learning anything and everything about its production and rarity. I understand that the first two 78s were originally produced in runs of 50 on pink and black labels, but I've also read that additional 78s with these labels might have been produced. The label, by the way, has the 235 7th Ave. address, and "Dave Dexter" has been written at the top. I purchased the disk off of Ebay years ago, so I have no idea whether this is the late Dave Dexter known to music enthusiasts, but I suppose that's a good bet. Anyway, thanks in advance for the guidance any of you might be able to offer, and I look forward to whiling away many hours reading all of your posts.

Jeff

Hello Everyone:

I am old lover of jazz who is new to this site--and I will begin with a post that shows that my knowledge falls far short of my devotion to the music. I have a copy of Blue Note 1, the 12" 78 of Meade "Lux" Lewis, with a pink and black label and I'm interested in learning anything and everything about its production and rarity. I understand that the first two 78s were originally produced in runs of 50 on pink and black labels, but I've also read that additional 78s with these labels might have been produced. The label, by the way, has the 235 7th Ave. address, and "Dave Dexter" has been written at the top. I purchased the disk off of Ebay years ago, so I have no idea whether this is the late Dave Dexter known to music enthusiasts, but I suppose that's a good bet. Anyway, thanks in advance for the guidance any of you might be able to offer, and I look forward to whiling away many hours reading all of your posts.

Jeff

I doubt that there were only 50 pressed of these early pink label pressings. I've seen a fair number of them over the years, and I have a copy of Blue Note 2 on pink in my collection. It looks like you got Dave Dexter's copy. I would assume it's the same guy who worked for Capitol for many years.

I found this:

"From what I've heard, Alfred Lion had fifty copies each pressed of the first two records. He wasn't sure how well they'd sell. They sold quickly enough for him to continue pressing the rest of the sides and do more recording as well.

Anyhooooo....those first fifty copies used a pink and black label. Here's one of those records:"

A+Ammons001.jpg

The label, by the way, has the 235 7th Ave. address, and "Dave Dexter" has been written at the top. I purchased the disk off of Ebay years ago, so I have no idea whether this is the late Dave Dexter known to music enthusiasts, but I suppose that's a good bet.

Jeff

I remember this auction on eBay... I'm pretty sure it was in the fall of 2001. I bid on it, but the price got pretty high (I bowed out when it got over $150). I'm glad to hear it went to a good home.

The label, by the way, has the 235 7th Ave. address, and "Dave Dexter" has been written at the top. I purchased the disk off of Ebay years ago, so I have no idea whether this is the late Dave Dexter known to music enthusiasts, but I suppose that's a good bet.

Jeff

I remember this auction on eBay... I'm pretty sure it was in the fall of 2001. I bid on it, but the price got pretty high (I bowed out when it got over $150). I'm glad to hear it went to a good home.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.