how many records do you own?

manfred

I've mentioned this before, but my LP total actually went up a bit after the whole CD thing started, when I realized there were significant LP reissues that sounded much better than CD reissues of the same material - this has largely changed, but there's still stuff I prize on LP, like a Kid Ory/Johnny Dodds from maybe 1927 that is in pristine sound - also, a Thomas Morris Black and White that scares me, it sounds so clear - plus a few Decca LPs of amazing clarity.

I've pretty much switched back to buying vinyl only when given the choice between the two. Part of the reason is sound but I have to admit that there is probably a little bit of fetishism too. Additionally, there are a lot of used vinyl stores here so you can pick stuff up on the cheap, although used CD prices are just getting ridiculously low now.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have approximately 2620 CDs and 717 LPs - all jazz. I have a bunch of R&B/Soul/Hip hop CDs and LPs that I have collected since childhood, but since they are not catalogued I have no idea how many there are, but it is less than the jazz. I keep collecting although I don't have much time for listening. The fastest growing segment of my music collection is unreleased private recordings and broadcasts of live performances - which now exceeds 9000 concerts.

Must be more than 6000 CDs right now, about half classical (mostly before 1800 and on period instruments) and half jazz and wolrd music, Latin etc.

Used to own as many LPs, but I sold most of the stuff I bought on CD and sort out albums I don't really like on a regilar basis. as space is limited. Right now there are still 2000 LPs, I think ...

at least 5000 vinyl albums, perhaps a thousand cds, and, on external hard drives, virtually all of laz weekday shows since he came online in 2005, all of thewnur weekday morning jazz shows (7 or 8 hours a day), 6 weekday hours daily of wkcr jazz programs for 3 years, and innumerable tribute broadcasts. for example i have the complete wkcr bach festival the past 2 years(24 hours per day for 11 or 12 days each year), not that i'm a fanatic or anything.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Non-jazz: probably 1100 CDs (down a few hundred since I started selling them off for jazz) and 800-900 LPs

Jazz: 800 or so titles (i.e. box set = 1 title) and 150 LPs (not bad for 3 years collecting!)

Stop while you can!

Ha!

My goal was 10,000 jazz titles by age 50 (23 years from now) but that now seems a highly unlikely figure. Maybe 5k will have to do.

Haven't counted them for many years...

Me neither. The only thing I know for sure is that I have a few thousand less than I had 5 or 10 years ago, and it feels good that way (especially since I mostly listen to MP3's now). Reducing clutter is very refreshing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've given up on counting. Estimated totals:

15,000-16,000 CDs (all jazz except 700-1000 of them)

4000-5000 LPs (all jazz except 500-600)

150-200 Jazz DVDs

+ a countless number of non-commercial jazz broadcasts (800-1000?) on cassette

and CDR

Even though I'm a jazz journalist, I collected for 15 years prior to getting my first promo and still spend thousands every year for interesting things, though I've slacked off a bit the past two years.