Mosaic Recommendations

Ken Dryden

I received a gift card and am considering either the Charlie Parker Dean Benedetti box or the Jazz Crusaders. I know the first consists of just solos recorded under a wide range of conditions, while I have never explored the Jazz Crusaders much at all.

Which one do you recommend, particularly if you own both sets?

I already pretty much have the rest of the sets that I want, so other choices aren't necessary.

Edited by Ken Dryden

The Jazz Crusaders set is very good, and very cool, but there's something about the Parker set that compels me to return to it a lot more than the JC set. If availability is a concern, I'd go with the Crusaders before it sells out, Mosaic owns the Benedetti tapes outright, so it will always be there later on...

Ken, I'm right there with Matthew: I probably reach for the Parker set more often, and I think it's a fascinating set, a unique bit of history and mythology. But Mosaic owns this material and it should be in print in the future (though one should expect possible backorder status it seems). I doubt the Jazz Crusaders set is in danger in the near future, but you never know these days. . . if you KNOW you will eventually get this set, then I'd suggest ordering that.

I'd go with the Jazz Crusaders.. It's a fun set.. don't have the Parker though... Can't get into the solos only thing...

Same here.

Disclaimer: I do not own EITHER set. I do have a TON of Parker and none of the Jazz Crusaders. So consider that when reading what I am saying.

I have not purchased the Benedetti (sp?) Charlie Parker set for two reasons. 1. Mosaic owns the music, so it won't go out of print. 2. The idea of poor sound quality and partial tunes turn me off. With that said, I do have plans to purchase it at some time. That time will probably come when I own all in print Mosaics and need another one....

My next purchase will be the Woody Herman big band set, Jazz Crusaders set and the Buddy Rich set. I'm gonna order these together when the Rich set comes back in print so I can save on shipping. After this order, I will own all the in print Mosaics that I care to own (I do not own the Braxton or Threadgill sets and it will take a miracle to decide to buy them...). Based on the sound samples of the Crusaders set, it will be exciting listening. Something I can see listening to in the car driving VERY fast. Anybody have thoughts on this set? Sorry to "hijack" the thread.

I'd go with the Jazz Crusaders. It's an excellent box set and great music from a group with unique sound. There really isn't anyone quite like them and that's a good thing. For me, it would be infinitely more interesting than just listening to a box set of solos. That would be much more academic than I would care to get with that music and much less enjoyable when the solo is stripped of it's context by not including the rest of the song.

The thing about the Benedetti (which I don't have yet) that I find appealing is precisely that the sound quality is inferior and the larger context for the music is missing in many cases. It gives the whole project this unpolished romanticism that you can't get from a more traditional set. The only reason that I don't own this set already is simply because I know it isn't a limited edition. It would be interesting to see how many sets they could sell if they suddenly put the Benedetti recordings on "Last Chance."

Based on the sound samples of the Crusaders set, it will be exciting listening. Something I can see listening to in the car driving VERY fast. Anybody have thoughts on this set?

I'm an unapologetic Jazz Crusaders/Crusaders fan and have been since the late 70's. I have everything the core group has put out but lost interest when Wayne Henderson left the group and don't listen to the post-Henderson material. The Jazz Crusaders Mosaic is indeed exciting listening and was a godsend enabling me to snap up all their early material in one fell swoop. One of my favorite things about the Jazz Crusaders is their unique sound and what they brought to the table musically as well as how tight and cohesive they were as a group. My music budget always has me seeking out deals and bargains but this is the sole Mosaic set I ever paid full price for. I had to have it and didn't want to wait around for a bargain that might never materialize. I didn't want to take the chance that I'd miss out on it. The music speaks for itself. If you'd like to hear sound samples from the entire set, check out the link below. I'd recommend it without any reservations.

Jazz Crusaders Pacific Jazz Quintet Studio Sessions

Here's some videos of them in their Pacific Jazz era.

Young Rabbits

Freedom Sound

Tortoise And The Hare

Edited by mikelz777

Based on the sound samples of the Crusaders set, it will be exciting listening. Something I can see listening to in the car driving VERY fast. Anybody have thoughts on this set?

I'm an unapologetic Jazz Crusaders/Crusaders fan and have been since the late 70's. I have everything the core group has put out but lost interest when Wayne Henderson left the group and don't listen to the post-Henderson material. The Jazz Crusaders Mosaic is indeed exciting listening and was a godsend enabling me to snap up all their early material in one fell swoop. One of my favorite things about the Jazz Crusaders is their unique sound and what they brought to the table musically as well as how tight and cohesive they were as a group. My music budget always has me seeking out deals and bargains but this is the sole Mosaic set I ever paid full price for. I had to have it and didn't want to wait around for a bargain that might never materialize. I didn't want to take the chance that I'd miss out on it. The music speaks for itself. If you'd like to hear sound samples from the entire set, check out the link below. I'd recommend it without any reservations.

Young Rabbits

Freedom Sound

Tortoise And The Hare

Thanks for the links!!! I don't know why I didn't check the All Music site for the music before! Again, this will be on my next Mosaic order along with the Buddy Rich set and the Woody Herman big band set. Can't wait!

Young Rabbits

Freedom Sound

Tortoise And The Hare

Thanks for the links!!! I don't know why I didn't check the All Music site for the music before! Again, this will be on my next Mosaic order along with the Buddy Rich set and the Woody Herman big band set. Can't wait!

That Buddy Rich is another nice box set. I wasn't in the market for one but found a new/sealed Universal set selling in the neighborhood of $50-$60 so I couldn't pass it up. I was pleased to find that it wasn't weighed down by an excess of drum solos which, much more often than not, I find much too self-indulgent, long and boring. There's a lot of fine small group stuff on that set and I was very pleasantly surprised.

The Jazz Crusaders set is consistently entertaining. Although it doesn't rise to the level of the 1960 Blakey Messengers Mosaic, it's in the vicinity. The Benedetti is a genuine curiosity. I could easily argue for and against having it. If you're into Bird at all, it's essential. And, if you're into Dean Benedetti as a musician, this box represents the full extent of what he has available. I find the set fascinating and the booklet is probably as good as Mosaic has ever produced.