Sidney Bechet

romualdo

I applaud your efforts and am glad this music got a release. That said...

It turns out that many people don't care about awards for "best reissue" or "best boxed set" or "most over-the-top presentation of rare music that you will now never hear because you don't have the money or the space for a limited edition quarter sawn oak cabinet with platinum hinges filled with 78s specially made by melting down Black Pattis". This set isn't nearly as bad as those Third Man "Rise and Fall of Paramount Records" sets from a few years ago, but in my mind it commits the same crimes (or mistakes, in my more charitable moods).

So, serious question: why only a limited edition with a book? Is there some licensing deal that prevents the music from being released on its own, too (on CD or as a download)?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exactly. 

The music was licensed.

So were most of the pictures and memorabilia, since, after a heavy restoration process on both the audio, pictures and memorabilia, the idea was offer the music with its story and original context for future generations.

For example, for Bechet's 1949 concert at the Geneva Victoria Hall, whilst no film footage is available, you also get to see pictures of the actual concert you are listening to, see some publicity and press articles published at the time, and read all about the background of the concert.

I am not quite sure (far from sure, in fact) if I will be in the market for this specific item but I find the whole concept of this entire project just excellent and spot-on - and tempting for sure. The presentation seems to be tops, the material included really is comprehensive - something for the real fans and those who are into the music including its period context and history (printed matter included etc.). And ABOVE ALL - the contents for the most part chart new territory and offer music that has NOT been on the market before and therefore REALLY fills a gap (to those who feel there is a gap in their collections).

I for one feel that complaints about the presentation of such reissue/historical issue projects are a bit off the mark all in all. Yes - they are not cheap at all, but you get something new for your money. Although the following will be heresy in the eyes of many around here (for which I make NO excuse), I have much more misgivings about the purpose of many Mosaic reissues that may be more affordable than this project but are not that cheap either and basically rehash stuff that has been around: Better fidelity, maybe - but how much better to whose criteria? All in one place? Maybe, but not all the previous issues have been scattered THAT badly. New, previously unissued music - how much actually, not counting alternate takes? So how often is the label NAME the main selling point, including the fact that these Mosaic sets are a sort of investment too because they tend to hold their value?

And honestly - if somebody had done such a project on, say, Trane or Ayler or Dolphy, wouldn't everybody have fallen all over themselves in enthusiasm? Trane - no expense spared, but Bechet - oh, the music will suffice because to most "it's not THAT essential" (contrary to Trane?)? I fully understand that "reasoning" - I guess for me the MOD Records box produced by BESharp! held less new items than this Bechet box would but it was a Must Have for me so no regrets there (though it WAS a luxury purchase that I cannot afford to repeat very often). But if others feel that Bechet does not rank high enough on their priority list to afford that box then it's not primarily a problem of this box but a problem of their priorities ... ;)

There will always be those who just want the music and don't care one bit about the documents and memorabilia and of course you can dumb down any reissue to the bare essentials but there will also be those who'd like to afford themselves a package such as this - hoping it won't get "recycled" by one of the "P.D. grey labels" one of these days. So more power to THEM - just like it's more power to those who go all overboard and dump whatever they have as soon as there is a Mosaic of the stuff on the horizon. Priorities differ ... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Thank you so much for understanding the whole concept. The foundation is thinking of future generations, and has to partly finance its nonprofit activities with the sales of its releases.

As you will see on the website http://shop.unitedmusic.ch, there are not many so far. 

As for the "grey" labels, despite its old age, the material is still copyrighted.

This is indeed one of reasons.

If the United Music Foundation had not taken a timely action, many of these recordings would now be lost forever or further damaged.

The cost of the preservation and restoration process, which represents a USD 5 figure amount, has been entirely financed by the United Music Foundation, thanks to the public and private donors who have made this possible.

In order to do so, the foundation had to secure an exclusive licensing agreement with the copyright owners.

Edited by dhadzis
Clarify

8 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

And honestly - if somebody had done such a project on, say, Trane or Ayler or Dolphy, wouldn't everybody have fallen all over themselves in enthusiasm? Trane - no expense spared, but Bechet - oh, the music will suffice because to most "it's not THAT essential" (contrary to Trane?)?

I feel like I'm being included in the "if somebody had done a project on Trane..." train (haha...) here, and I want to be very clear that I couldn't care less about Trane or Ayler or Dolphy, and that Bechet is one of the five jazz musicians I care most about. My misgivings about this kind of presentation have nothing to do with the artist and their importance.

Further arguing about gilded boxes and the collectors' market for another day and another thread.

Thank you for your kind words.

The United Music Foundation can only sometimes set the music free and enhance it as far as modern technology allows - which is much further than 10 years ago.

The rest is not in our hands. We can only do our best. But the more we are supported, the more music will be set free in large or small packages depending on the context. As for us, we keep preserving as much as we can. 

17 hours ago, lipi said:

I feel like I'm being included in the "if somebody had done a project on Trane..." train (haha...) here, and I want to be very clear that I couldn't care less about Trane or Ayler or Dolphy, and that Bechet is one of the five jazz musicians I care most about. My misgivings about this kind of presentation have nothing to do with the artist and their importance.

Further arguing about gilded boxes and the collectors' market for another day and another thread.

Honestly, I don't know about your preferences so I did not specifically hint at you.

But I KNOW there are people out there who'd be overjoyed if they could even lay their hands on a 10-CD box set of Trane chewing gum and an extra case and book showing facsimile reprints of every wrapper of every gum Trane ever chewed. :D (And I am only exaggerating a "little" here ... ;) - and I am not blaming anyone  ... collectionitis and fan adulation CAN take extreme forms ...)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I just went to the United Music Foundation site and attempted to order this set for shipment to New York State in USA and it was indicated that no shipping options were available. This suggests that they no longer ship to USA, free or not. Is it still free and how can I find out? I know the NYC store sells it, though with a modest dealer mark-up in price.

• 2 months later...
On 01/05/2018 at 3:29 AM, Tribute said:

I just went to the United Music Foundation site and attempted to order this set for shipment to New York State in USA and it was indicated that no shipping options were available. This suggests that they no longer ship to USA, free or not. Is it still free and how can I find out? I know the NYC store sells it, though with a modest dealer mark-up in price.

I just saw that the United Music Foundation is back online with a new design, and they wrote that they do accept orders worldwide.
If you experience any problem, I'm sure they can help you.

7 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I've got the box. Bechet's playing is at a high level, Mezzrow is his usual mediocre self. 

I have that set too, and agree that Mezz is, well, Mezz...

I investigated both sources of the Swiss release, and mailing costs in both cases was enough for me to close the pages in a hurry.  Wow!

3 minutes ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

I have that set too, and agree that Mezz is, well, Mezz...

I investigated both sources of the Swiss release, and mailing costs in both cases was enough for me to close the pages in a hurry.  Wow!

Yes. Swiss Post costs are indeed outrageous. But if you guys want to make a group buy, I'm sure the costs will decrease.

Just now, dhadzis said:

Yes. Swiss Post costs are indeed outrageous. But if you guys want to make a group buy, I'm sure the costs will decrease.

I don't know how "you guys" would get together on such a thing.  And, I'm in Canada, not the USA.  Add another 35% exchange  to MY costs. 

Interesting that because of the difference in exchange rates it's cheaper to buy from the Swiss, but the mail costs are much higher.  The set is more in the US, but shipping costs a bit less.  Then, I know I'd have to pay Canadian import taxes on top of either choice, so...

• 10 months later...

Just a heads up to let you know that the United Music Foundation is having a special price on the "Sidney Bechet en Suisse / in Switzerland" box set (4 CDs + 216 page art book in French and English featuring 250 photos and 140 documents, all rare or unreleased) at CHF 129,00 instead of CHF 179,00 until June 30th, to commemorate the 70th anniversary of Sidney Bechet's first concert in Switzerland (at the Geneva Victoria Hall) and the 60th anniversary of his passing.

You can order it here: https://unitedmusic.ch/store/en/accueil/8-new-product-7640160390103.html

By the way, Sidney Bechet's son will be performing with his jazz band (featuring Olivier Franc who will be playing on Sidney Bechet's own soprano saxophone) at the Geneva Victoria Hall on May 29th. If some of you are around Switzerland at that time, there will be autograph sessions and media appearances from him.

The United Music Foundation is a non-profit organization that reinvests all its profits. When you buy their Collector's Editions, you help them in their mission to preserve, enhance and spotlight endangered musical recording heritage, and to make it available to the public.

On 17/05/2019 at 9:03 PM, gmonahan said:

I'm happy to see the price come down on this set, but I fear shipping to the US is still prohibitively expensive.

gregmo

Well, you can also view this as a « free shipping to the US » campaign until June 30th, 2019! ;)... and worldwide shipping is free when you order more than one copy!

Edited by dhadzis
One extra detail