Stereo Jack's In Cambridge, MA not closing!

Kevin Bresnahan

I met Jack today. Charlie as well. I cut myself off at a certain point. I think I could have spent $1,000 easy on jazz vinyl alone.

This was a great shop.

I bought a few Warne Marsh albums, Bird on Dial, Coltrane Ballads, Lester Bowie, Herbie Nichols, Gigi Gryce, Live Curtis, Basement Tapes, etc etc and passed on so many great things.

I haven't looked inside the bags since the train ride. My birthday came 29 days early this year.

Thanks Jack.

:wub: aw shucks

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Last I heard, Jack is closing on June 28th.

The landlord continues to have problems with the city of Cambridge in obtaining the proper permits. As his struggle continues, he has granted us several extensions, providing us with more time to do business (and, of course, to pay additional rent). Originally we were scheduled to close at the end of March, but up to now it has been extended until the end of June. There's another breeze blowing, however, and it is possible that the date may once again be changed. I'll keep everybody apprised.

• 1 month later...

The following message was sent out to our mailing list two days ago:

Dear friends,

We are happy to announce that our landlord has decided to abandon his plans for opening his pizza and sandwich shop in our location for one year, due to continued resistance from certain parties in the neighborhood and from the City of Cambridge. This means that Stereo Jack's Records will continue for at least ONE MORE YEAR!

We intend to resume all aspects of our business in the coming months, including buying and selling collections, and we have ordered a new shipment of wooden CD shelves and record crates.

stereo jack's

Woo Hoo...:) I'll be there probably early next month...

Dear friends,

We are happy to announce that our landlord has decided to abandon his plans for opening his pizza and sandwich shop in our location for one year, due to continued resistance from certain parties in the neighborhood and from the City of Cambridge. This means that Stereo Jack's Records will continue for at least ONE MORE YEAR!

We intend to resume all aspects of our business in the coming months, including buying and selling collections, and we have ordered a new shipment of wooden CD shelves and record crates.

stereo jack's

Woo Hoo...:) I'll be there probably early next month...

Dear friends,

stereo jack's

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you fill mail orders?????

Landlords are a strange breed. They'll drive out a long-established customer in the hope of yet greater profit. All too often their greed gets them nowhere and the storefront ends up sitting empty for months. It's all about the MONEY, to hell with the community.

Landlords are a strange breed. They'll drive out a long-established customer in the hope of yet greater profit. All too often their greed gets them nowhere and the storefront ends up sitting empty for months. It's all about the MONEY, to hell with the community.

Let's not make assumptions about all landlords. While what you say is true about many, my landlord is actually a good guy, who bought the property 10 years ago, and told me at the time that he eventually wanted to move his restaurant (which he was renting) into my location. He also told me that he would give me ample warning when he decided to make the move. He kept his word, and it is only because of unforeseen obstacles that he has decided not to move at this time.

Is the resistance from Cambridge simply that heaven forbid students have another place on Mass Ave. where they might congregate to eat a sandwich, potentially at hours when the fine working folk of Porter Square are nestled in their beds?

(Always dug hanging out at Stereo Jack's and would be sad to see it go, but town-gown politics are truly absurd. Can't think of another reason why various parties would be freaked out at the expansion of a pizza place on a major thoroughfare.)

• 2 months later...