ebay madness re: vinyl

Looks like Fred Cohen (the Jazzrecordcenter) had a good day yesterday with his eBay auctions.

He had a collection of BN, Prestige, Transition, etc... LPs up for grabs. Most of them in nearmint condition.

Quite a number of the BNs went over the 1K mark!

- Introducing Johnny Griffin reached $3,167

- Hank Mobley (with Lee Morgan, Donald Byrd) $2,969

- Lee Morgan Candy $2,905

- Lee Morgan City Lights $2,380

- Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims $1,954

- Hank Mobley Peckin' Time $1,580

- John Jenkins $1,525

- Paul Chambers Quintet $1,223

- Freddie Hubbard Open Sesame $1,136 (another copy of this LP from another seller went for $1,161 the day before)

- Cliff Jordan with Gilmore $1,091

- Freddie Redd Shades of Redd $1,044

- Lee Morgan The Cooker $1,000

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Fred Cohen (the Jazzrecordcenter) had a good day yesterday with his eBay auctions.

He had a collection of BN, Prestige, Transition, etc... LPs up for grabs. Most of them in nearmint condition.

Quite a number of the BNs went over the 1K mark!

- Introducing Johnny Griffin reached $3,167

- Hank Mobley (with Lee Morgan, Donald Byrd) $2,969

- Lee Morgan Candy $2,905

- Lee Morgan City Lights $2,380

- Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims $1,954

- Hank Mobley Peckin' Time $1,580

- John Jenkins $1,525

- Paul Chambers Quintet $1,223

- Freddie Hubbard Open Sesame $1,136 (another copy of this LP from another seller went for $1,161 the day before)

- Cliff Jordan with Gilmore $1,091

- Freddie Redd Shades of Redd $1,044

- Lee Morgan The Cooker $1,000

Was the Freddie Hubbard album a "deep groove" pressing?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It is mad! Although, there's a point to be made about these records, that transcends the joy of owning just the music in a nice media. I'm talking about authenticity and historical value. These records - some 50 years old or older - was not released in big numbers, there are probably not many left. To own a record like this, is like owning an antiquity. Like owning a piece of dying history, that becomes rarer and rarer as time passes.

Is paying $2000 for a record pure madness? Yes, absolutely. Is paying $2000 for a historical object insane? Yes probably, but it makes more sense, if you look at it, that way.

I sold my Eric Dolphy: Live in Europe for $699. That is a sick amount of money, but it's the cheapest a "Live in Europe" has ever sold for on ebay and considering the historical aspect and how rare it is, I think it was a fair amount. It was made (I'm guessing) in about 300 copies on the original debut album, nearly 50 years ago and sold mainly in Denmark and mainland Europe. For a collector, such a record is a piece of history. For people that don't care about authenticity and the historical aspect, there is a re-issue on a different label available.

I know people who paid up to 1000 bucks for a playing card for Magic: The Gathering... Puts it into perspective, I think.

Edited by Ibuchreitz