Mosaic End of February Sale

BeBop

The only one of those sets I'm not that enthused about is the Hackett. I think I play it less than just about any other Mosaic set I have with the possible exception of the Teddy Wilson set.

I think the Herman is essential, and so is the Gillespie. And like others, I love the Mobley.

gregmo

This might be the time I finally get the Benedetti. I had the Nelson, listened to it a couple times, then sold it. Some of it was kind of interesting, but listening to the tracks with JFK's speeches was like being forced to swallow my own vomit.

For me, I skip the JFK speeches and get to the music (which is beautiful..the Phil Woods 3/4 waltz ballad...beautiful). I agree though, kind of weird.

Let us know what you think of the Benedetti set when you get it!!!

Oh man, I just ordered the Benedetti. My wife is going to kill me. I've been trying to cut back but then this month a Borders near me had a going out of business sale, and so I picked up a bunch of stuff at reduced price, and now this Mosaic sale, and I could have passed it up but I've been wanting the Benedetti for quite some time. I was still going to pass it up until I heard some sound clips on All Music, remembered again why I wanted it so much, and so I took the dive.

But that's it, damn it. I'm swearing off Mosaic for several months after this. I don't care what goes out of print!

Edited by Face of the Bass

This might be the time I finally get the Benedetti. I had the Nelson, listened to it a couple times, then sold it. Some of it was kind of interesting, but listening to the tracks with JFK's speeches was like being forced to swallow my own vomit.

For me, I skip the JFK speeches and get to the music (which is beautiful..the Phil Woods 3/4 waltz ballad...beautiful). I agree though, kind of weird.

Oh man, I just ordered the Benedetti. My wife is going to kill me. I've been trying to cut back but then this month a Borders near me had a going out of business sale, and so I picked up a bunch of stuff at reduced price, and now this Mosaic sale, and I could have passed it up but I've been wanting the Benedetti for quite some time. I was <i>still</i> going to pass it up until I heard some sound clips on All Music, remembered again why I wanted it so much, and so I took the dive.

But that's it, damn it. I'm swearing off Mosaic for several months after this. I don't care what goes out of print!

I can identify with your joy - and your pain.

Oh man, I just ordered the Benedetti. My wife is going to kill me. I've been trying to cut back but then this month a Borders near me had a going out of business sale, and so I picked up a bunch of stuff at reduced price, and now this Mosaic sale, and I could have passed it up but I've been wanting the Benedetti for quite some time. I was <i>still</i> going to pass it up until I heard some sound clips on All Music, remembered again why I wanted it so much, and so I took the dive.

I can identify with your joy - and your pain.

I'm with you too.

I'm hoping to get the Benedetti soon because I want to listen to it before my wife sees the credit card bill and puts a shovel to the back of my skull.

Of course, I'm joking. Sort of...

Yo, The Sopranos thread is over here. Good luck with the timing of the shipping. You might want to attach a small bell to the shovel in the meantime. ;)

I'm hoping to get the Benedetti soon because I want to listen to it before my wife sees the credit card bill and puts a shovel to the back of my skull.

Of course, I'm joking. Sort of...

Yo, The Sopranos thread is over here. Good luck with the timing of the shipping. You might want to attach a small bell to the shovel in the meantime. ;)

Or wear a helmet...with a face mask!

We are SO helpful on this Board, aren't we?!

gregmo

between the Dizzy and the Herman set.

I've got both and enjoy both. I would decide based on if you enjoy big band or small group bop.

Dizzy on the way. I have the Proper Herman set which I know is not up to Mosaic standards but will do until I can get the Herman box. As usual, my cc thanks everyone for their enablement.

Ordered the Django, which will be my first Mosaic. Guess I'm sentimental. Quintette du Hot Club de France were the first jazz artists I really listened to with any attention. They really took me by surprise when I was in high school.

Sentimental and smart! Congrats, you'll love it.

The Benedetti arrived today. The music is absolutely glorious. I can't believe it took me this long to get it. I was so put off for so long by the fact that the sound quality was poor and the recordings were just snapshots of solos rather than full performances, that I forgot that this was Charlie Parker we were talking about here. The music, especially with the hiss of the tape, feels like a warm blanket, like a glass of scotch on the rocks that you slowly take in.

I would say to anyone on the fence about the Benedetti, that if you love Parker, you will love this set.

Anyway, I'm still going through my first listen so I will have more to say a bit later on.