2011 MLB Season

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Four games today for all the post-season marbles along with the possibility of two sudden death playoff games before it's all said and done. Gotta say, it doesn't get much better than this.

it can get A LOT better than this! :P:P:P

Fun for non fans of the two collapsing teams...I don't want to see the Braves get in the playoffs either, just because, what would be the point??? Scrappy, low scoring teams can advance if they have good pitching, but the braves don't have it anymore. What would the Yankees chances be without CC. or Ivan Nova? How good would the Tigers look like without Verlander and Doug Fister? (Quincy, I sure hope the Mariners got something good for him, 7-1 1.79 ERA with the Tigers!)

As I mentioned before, the braves lost their two best first half pitchers in Tommy Hanson and Jair Jurrjens. Brandon Beachy has 169 strikeouts in only 141 innings, but he is out of steam, having never pitched more than 119 innings in a season in the minors. Mike Minor was done last Sept, and seems done now as well. He's 23.

The 4 supposed studs they wouldn't trade for anyone, all have Pedro Martinez builds(to be fair, they are really young, so they may fill out) and all seem to be toast right now. Randall Delgado(21) is the only one starting right now, and can give you 5 decent innings. No one can give you more than 5 innings outside of Tim Hudson. DLowe was the best pitcher in baseball last September, but Father time seems to have finally caught up with him. And we have to pay him 15 Mil next year, no way anyone will trade for him, even if we ate 10 million...

What have I forgotten? Oh yes, the entire offense is worthless right now. Well, 39 YO Chipper (Who came back about 3 weeks earlier than ARod from the same type of knee surgery ) Freddie Freeman (possible ROY)and Uggla at least get some hits. Michael Bourn has a .314 OBP since joining the Braves..

So, I guess the best thing to happen is the Braves and Cards winning tonight, and the Braves lose game 163 in St. Louis...because I do feel sorry for some of the players that really do care, Martin Prado has lost sleep for months, Brian McCann came back too soon from an injury, and is a shadow of himself....

Edited by BERIGAN

Has Boston's salvation arrived via their own version of Jesus Montero? He surely delivered a dose of it last night.

That Ryan Lavarnway can hit has never been a question. He hit at Yale and he has hit .284 in the minors for the Red Sox with an OPS of .897. Lavarnway has 50 home runs in the last two minor league seasons.

Vaunted Yankees prospect Jesus Montero, by way of comparison, had 39 home runs over the same two seasons with a minor league OPS of .814.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

The only difference is that Montero is three years younger but then again, Montero hasn't outhit Lavarnway at a younger age, he's put up numbers that aren't quite as good. And fwiw, no one has said Lavarnway won't hack it as a major league catcher the way they've said about Montero (to be fair, the jury is out, while they've delivered their verdict on Montero). A catcher with a power bat is worth more than a DH/1B with the same stats. The latter is much more easily replaced.

What's so great about seeing sudden death games involving teams that are not playing well? I would rather not see a team back into the playoffs despite sucking for the last month of the season.

I understand the sentiment, but once the playoffs start the records are 0-0. As noted the 2000 Yankees are one example of a team that stunk up September and won the World Series. There have been others too.

What's more disturbing to me is how this season would have played out with next year's extra wild card team. There would be no drama as the 4 teams fighting for 2 spots today all would have made the playoffs a few days ago.

Edited by Quincy

Wow re Yanks-Tampa Bay... just wow. Rays score six in the bottom of the 8th, then TB's Dan Johnson, hitting .108 on the year, belts a two-out, two-strike home run to tie it in the bottom of the 9th. :blink:

EDIT: "Now pitching for the New York Yankees... Scott Proctor!" :ph34r:

Plenty of MLB drama tonight on the final day of the season. Rays mount a 7-run comeback in the 8th and 9th and send the game into extra innings, Red Sox holding onto a 1-run lead in Baltimore with a rain delay, and Atlanta and Philadelphia now in the 11th inning. :excited:

Edited by ghost of miles

Wow re Yanks-Tampa Bay... just wow. Rays score six in the bottom of the 8th, then TB's Dan Johnson, hitting .108 on the year, belts a two-out, two-strike home run to tie it in the bottom of the 9th. :blink:

EDIT: "Now pitching for the New York Yankees... Scott Proctor!" :ph34r:

Plenty of MLB drama tonight on the final day of the season. Rays mount a 7-run comeback in the 8th and 9th and send the game into extra innings, Red Sox holding onto a 1-run lead in Baltimore with a rain delay, and Atlanta and Philadelphia now in the 11th inning. :excited:

Well, braves season is over...really shouldn't have been since Bourn was safe at 3rd on a steal, but called out, and he would made it a 4-1 score, instead of 3-1. But, still no offense = no playoffs...

was at least hoping for a one game playoff to lose, a bit less of a bitter taste in the mouths of braves fans...

I don't think the Yankees are going to be able to count on much help from A-Rod. Starting rotation very iffy past CC and Nova... I think Detroit's going to be a much tougher fight, esp. with Verlander, than the Twins were for the past two years in the ALDS.

Tampa Bay-Texas rematch will be interesting, that's for sure.

Edited by ghost of miles

Wow--that might've been the most incredible night of regular-season baseball that I've ever followed in my life.

You are right that was a great night of baseball, but lets face it if the Yankees played all

their regulars and put MO in at the end , the Rays would have lost too.

What about Crawford, he can't catch that ball?

Manny could!

Seriously,Crawford may be the best all round athlete on the club and he dives for the ball as if it's a hand grenade.

Edited by zen archer

Is it too much to hope/wish for a Rangers/Phillies WS? :)

I would like to see a team that has come close but didn't quite make it, like the Rangers or Rays.

Brewers would be interesting. How many teams have switched leagues and gone to the Series in both? Winning for the NL would make it hard to move them back to the AL. But overall I think they should be returned to the AL. Moving them to the NL is partly the reason for the imbalance.

Wow--that might've been the most incredible night of regular-season baseball that I've ever followed in my life.

amen, brother ghost!!!!!!! the lady named chance or happenstance at times puts on unbelievable displays.. NO ONE could have scripted last night.....

This is a slightly condensed version, but only a minute or so elapsed between the final Baltimore-Boston score flashing in Tampa Bay and Longoria hitting the walkoff homerun:

Rays fans react

Realtime version

Brewers would be interesting. How many teams have switched leagues and gone to the Series in both? Winning for the NL would make it hard to move them back to the AL. But overall I think they should be returned to the AL. Moving them to the NL is partly the reason for the imbalance.

The other imbalance is to make the AL West a 5 team division. And from the looks of things one Central Time Zone team has to suck it up and move there. No team wants to do because it messes up the local broadcast times for so many games. And Seattle might as well be Alaska or Hawaii for all of the complaints of travelling there. I think the most sensible option is to return the Brewers to the AL and put the Royals in the AL West. It was a long time ago for many, but once upon a time KC owned the AL West. Maybe a move back could kick them back to winning. ;)