Art Blakey!!!!! Jazz Messengers!!!&#33

Tom 1960

41H3Do0taSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I happened to see this available at a local music store used for only $4.99. I have to admit I'm abit in the dark about this date. Hubbard is on the date, so I imagine early 60's would be right? I own most of there 50's/60's dates at this point. This one for some reason has escaped me till now. So, the question I ask is this. Should I go back and get it?

I don't know this date, but an Amazon review HERE says...

The Jazz Messengers only recording for Impulse Records is a sextet affair featuring Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter and Curtis Fuller. Standard tunes are played at various tempos with Lee displaying his prowess on mute as well as open horn. The highlight of the date for me though is the Curtis Fuller original - A La Mode- a real smoker. This front line appears again 3 years later on Art Blakey's final Blue Note session INDESTRUCTIBLE recorded in 1964. In 1962 & 63 it was Freddie Hubbard on trumpet in the classic sextet recording numerous sessions for Blue Note and Riverside records. The Riverside sessions CARAVAN and UGETSU may be a bit easier on the head for some.

Bit more complete list of personnel, recording date, and the track-listing HERE.

And here's some sales info and/or a review, HERE.

Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers: Art Blakey (drums); Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone); Lee Morgan (trumpet); Curtis Fuller (trombone); Bobby Timmons (piano); Jymie Merritt (bass).

Digitally remastered by Erick Labson (MCA Music Media Studio).

The legendary Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers took several forms throughout its long life. Many young musicians were nurtured in Blakey's band before going on to greatness themselves. One of the most prolific versions of this group existed in the period of the late-'50s and early-'60s, and included Wayne Shorter (before his work with Miles Davis), Lee Morgan, Curtis Fuller, Jymie Merritt and Bobby Timmons. This unusual album on Impulse (the group recorded many great records for Blue Note) catches the Messengers at a pivotal moment just before Morgan and Timmons' departure and at the beginning of Fuller's tenure.

Beginning with the hard swinging "Alamode," Blakey drives the three-man horn section forcefully as Timmons provides spicy punches underneath the weaving melody. The classic "Invitation" is given a slow and slinky treatment with Morgan's muted trumpet providing the perfect blue coloration. The disc's centerpiece is the lively "Circus," a perfect vehicle for the dexterous horns and dynamic rhythm section. The bluesy ballad "You Don't Know What Love Is," the ebullient "I Hear a Rhapsody" and the slow-grooving "Gee Baby, Ain't I Good To You" finish out this excellent document of a stirring group of jazz legends.

Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on June 13 & 14, 1961. Includes original liner notes by Dick Katz.

Full performer name: Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers.

Producer: Bob Thiele.

Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.

Personnel: Art Blakey (drums); Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone); Lee Morgan (trumpet); Curtis Fuller (trombone); Bobby Timmons (piano).

Liner Note Author: Dick Katz.

Recording information: Van Gelder Studio Englewood Cliffs, NJ (06/13/1961/06/14/1961); Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (06/13/1961/06/14/1961).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I happened to see this available at a local music store used for only $4.99. I have to admit I'm abit in the dark about this date. Hubbard is on the date, so I imagine early 60's would be right? I own most of there 50's/60's dates at this point. This one for some reason has escaped me till now. So, the question I ask is this. Should I go back and get it?

It looks as if you are a fan of Blakey and the Messengers, so yes do get this one. It's a good one in my view.

It looks as if you are a fan of Blakey and the Messengers, so yes do get this one. It's a good one in my view.

The 3CD set of the Jazz Messengers in Paris 13 May 1961 is a must for Messenger fans- RTE Label.

I have the 2CD set and a single disc. Wonderful concert.

The RTE CD is a two CD set; there is another CD on Trema.

There is a 3 CD Japanese set "au Club St. Germain"; jewel cased version from 1994; I think there was a later cardboard sleeve edition out of Japan. Perhaps this the 3 CD set one one refers to.

What BFrank said...

As for the May 13, 1961 concert at the Olympia there was intially a double CD released in 1992.

A third CD came out in 1999. This one:

41PR73TJNML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Club Saint-Germain gig was in December 1958 (I was there :w ). It came out as 3 LPs, then 2 CDs. The Japanese reissued it as 3 CDs that copied the original LPs.

This is a marvelous session - go back and get it! This is the first date with Curtis Fuller, expanding the band to a sextet, and the last with Lee Morgan and Bobby Timmons, who were replaced by Freddie Hubbard and Cedar Walton.

Some of the arrangements for this session (which are a bit different than the usual Messenger arrangements) were apparently done by Leon Mitchell, who was briefly Blue Note's A & R man in the early sixties (he contributed some great compositions to Horace Parlan's dates). I thought I saw this on his website, but I guess not. He still has the arrangements.

Bertrand.

This one is good. . . not a favorite Blakey of mine though. I confess, Curtis Fuller does less and less for me as time goes by. And this session lacks a certain spark I've come to expect with Messenger dates. But, that could just be me, and in time I might really like it.