Lunceford, Tolliver and Rivers sound samples

Hi All,

Just was relaxing on this Friday night, and found some surprises on the Mosaic website! Sound samples and it also appears they are available for pre-order.

I have ordered the Tolliver and the Lunceford. Love the sound samples, and am VERY excited for the Lunceford (since I don't have much from that band).

Anybody order the Getz Norgran LP set yet???

Especially looking forward to the updated sound on the Tolliver set. The Charley reissue of Tolliver's "Impact" has always been one of THE weirdest sounding discs I've ever heard. I haven't listened to "Impact" in years, so I can't remember the details -- but frankly, I remember it being almost as bad as Stanley Cowell "Brilliant Circles" (although not 'bad' in the same way).

Those Tolliver big-band dates are killer.

And Sam Rivers' recent Florida big band date "Aurora" (from 2006) can be sampled at CDBaby.com* for a better idea of what that group can do.

I've been calling them a 'Schoenbergian' big band with James Brown's rhythm section for a few years now -- and I was pleased to see the promo copy** for the Rivers set mentions the James Brown influence too!!

The thick lines and masses of sound Rivers writes for the orchestra of 14 horns and two rhythm are imposingly complex, and his creative orchestra music doesn't sound like anyone else's: not Sun Ra's, or Braxton's, or Julius Hemphill's. But there are some parallels: to Muhal Richard Abrams's large ensembles that embrace vernaculars from 1920s jazz to atonal concert music, mixing the familiar and novel; to circa-1970 Woody Herman, deploying funk and rock beats on Temptations and Doors tunes; to James Brown's static-harmony horns-and-rhythm funk.

*funny, the board won't let me link to it without generating a server error. Go to CDBaby.com, search on Sam Rivers, and it's the album called "Aurora".

**Won't let me link to the Mosaic page with the promo copy, without the same server error.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Listening to the Sam Rivers.. This sounds fantastic! Wasn't there some talk about a Sam Rivers box?

How does this differ from the Wildflowers box?

Don't know much about the Wildflowers box, but the first couple Amazon reviews seems to say it was originally 5-LP's of material recorded in the 70's.

The new Rivers Select is all new recordings from 2008 & 2009.

Especially looking forward to the updated sound on the Tolliver set. The Charley reissue of Tolliver's "Impact" has always been one of THE weirdest sounding discs I've ever heard. I haven't listened to "Impact" in years, so I can't remember the details -- but frankly, I remember it being almost as bad as Stanley Cowell "Brilliant Circles" (although not 'bad' in the same way).

Just listened to the alleged sample of "Mother Wit"(it's actually "Impact"), and it's still got that funky, tinny, uber-compressed sound. It's even worse on the sample than on the LP! Don't know that there's be any fix for that.

Never the nonetheless, that sample retains the urgency and intensity of the original, which for me is one of the last great big band records that applied an original vision to the big band instrumentation in a traditional manner (Archie Shepp's Attica Blues on Impulse! is, at times, another one). And that one tune, the big band version of "Impact", is one of the missing and/or direct links between "spiritual jazz" (uck, I hate that term even though I understand it completely...) & broken-beat/etc dance music.

Yeah, I'll be getting this one. Great music trumps weird sound (and the Impact album is indeed very weird in sound quality) every time. Especially when you can dance like hell to it!

No I couldn't.. had to use my PC.. Someone should email their webmaster and ask them to provide the files as mp3s not *.asx. or *.wmv files...

I can't get those samples to play. My son thinks they can't be played on a Mac and that the Mosaic websites is antiquated. Anyone here with a Mac able to play them?

No I couldn't.. had to use my PC.. Someone should email their webmaster and ask them to provide the files as mp3s not *.asx. or *.wmv files...

I can't get those samples to play. My son thinks they can't be played on a Mac and that the Mosaic websites is antiquated. Anyone here with a Mac able to play them?

Why don't both of you contact them yourselves: info@mosaicrecords.com.

Edited by J.A.W.

I used to have this problem. Then I found this product. It works embedded in Safari and FireFox. With Google Chrome, the audio file gets downloaded and automatically played in QuickTime.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/windows-media-player/wmcomponents

I used to have this problem. Then I found this product. It works embedded in Safari and FireFox. With Google Chrome, the audio file gets downloaded and automatically played in QuickTime.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/windows-media-player/wmcomponents

Thanks. Did the trick.

They can be played on a Mac, but yes, the Mosaic website uses windows media files, which are not ideal. You need an extension called Flip4Mac (it's free). This allows you to play Windows Media files on a Mac. http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/flip4macwindowsmediacomponentsforquicktime.html

The other catch is that it only works in 32 bit mode, so if you are running the latest OSX Snow Leopard, your browser may ask you to switch to "32 bit mode" which is okay.

If none of this makes sense, then just take my word for it - the samples are really nice!

Even to Afghanistan?

No. Sam Rivers does not translate well into either Pashto or Persian Dari. It's too invasive. :blink: I'm told the State Department is working on it.

Take my advice and keep it local. You'll get it better, and faster.

Deployment is all about better and faster.

• 1 month later...

Those Lunceford clips sound great. They managed to get some of the World transcriptions too. I guess the reason they couldn't access the unissued World transcriptions nor metal parts for most of the Decca material is the Universal fire some years ago. I'm still upset about that one.

The file format of the sound samples certainly is weird. It ends in ".mp3" but doesn't seem to be real mp3's, but rather wma's. They thus can't be played in media players that usually play mp3's.

• 3 weeks later...

Those Lunceford clips sound great. They managed to get some of the World transcriptions too. I guess the reason they couldn't access the unissued World transcriptions nor metal parts for most of the Decca material is the Universal fire some years ago. I'm still upset about that one.

Me too, but look at this article:

http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2011/11-003.html

Probably somehow they survived, not melted in that fire...

I've finally gotten around to listening to the Lunceford Mosaic. Partly because my system is sounding better than EVER, but this set sounds excellent for this material. The little I've compared on other releases, the Mosaic is an improvement. Very enjoyable listening.