mp3 bargains

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't intend this comment as a wisecrack, but I recommend everybody try the eMusic trial subscriptions. I strongly object to their no rollover credit policy, so I have not stayed with them for more than a few months as a paying customer; it only took one instance of losing paid for, unused credit, that made me quit. So I won't be a paying sub until that changes. But over the past two years, I get the occasional amazing trial offer to re-join, and those are usually really good value.

Concerning the Morton - Jelly tells you all you really need to know. If you want books and pictures, look elsewhere.

About 8 hours of pitch corrected Jelly. If you don't have the Rounder box and don't want to pay about $150 for the set, the download is wonderful.

I had the Riverside lp versions of the Circle lps and the Riverside "all music" lps. I also have 2 of the 4 Rounder discs of "musical highlights". Great to have it all for $20.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

51YaIv72nQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Elton Dean Quartet + Roswell Rudd - Rumours Of An Incident

1. The Incident (41:52)

2. The Goosebumps (16:23)

Elton Dean - alto saxophone, saxello

Roswell Rudd - trombone

Alex Maguire - piano

Marcio Mattos - double bass

Mark Sanders - drums

Recorded live at The Vortex, London, October 26, 1996

$1.87 at CD Universe

Jelly Roll Morton - Complete LOC Recordings (Rounder) for $19.98 here.

Thanks Chuck. Must admit I've never listened to these before. Put them on my nano and listened to them a the Y while working out. I love the way he accompanies himself while he talks. Does he often sing on commercially released records?

Are those Capitol Vault sets really the Mosaic Selects?

Did Mosaic re-license them back to Capitol?

The programming's identical. Capitol owns the rights, and originally granted a limited license to Mosaic (also, Capitol is a part-owner of Mosaic). The "packaging" (such as it is) of the Capitol Vault sets doesn't mention Mosaic, so there's nothing to re-license back.

Jelly Roll Morton - Complete LOC Recordings (Rounder) for $19.98 here.

Thanks Chuck. Must admit I've never listened to these before. Put them on my nano and listened to them a the Y while working out. I love the way he accompanies himself while he talks. Does he often sing on commercially released records?

Drove to San FRancisco last weekend and listened for four hours or so. (My wife put her iPod on shuffle on the way back-- not that she didn't enjoy the Morton.) Wonderful stuff. One question: what's the percussive sound that accompanies many of the songs, his foot tapping?