Miscellaneous Curiosities

patricia

None of this exists, I'm afraid, but German pianist Wolfgang Dauner in the liner of one of his early LPs wished for Vinyl where

1. the stylus elicits various odours during playback

2. the record destroys itself at the end (that was before Mission Impossible?)

3. the groove always starts the same way, but ends variably

don't remember the other ideas ....

Well supposedly there are albums you need to play in reverse to hear the real (usually evil) message.

Never tried myself.  :ph34r:  :eye:

Yup. There's the infamous Cannibal Corpse LP that played backwards repeats over and over "clean your room". Absolutely chilling! :ph34r:

Really? Which one? I have a few of them... B)

Well supposedly there are albums you need to play in reverse to hear the real (usually evil) message.

Never tried myself. :ph34r::eye:

Sepultura's "Schizophrenia" album has some yelling on the first track. A long time ago, I recorded it onto my hard drive and played it in reverse. The yelling was actually one word - schizophrenia. ;)

Some less exotic stuff--

Some early-music nuts I knew had an album which was a series of variations on, I think, "La Folia" (if not, it was "L'Homme Arme")--pastiches of every conceivable classical-music style, pop versions, rock version, country versions, jazz versions.....anyway, the set of variations is extended right to the centre of the disc, right under the label, so eventually the arm bumps the label & you get stuck.

There's of course various instances of locked grooves--probably the best known jazz album with one is Escalator Over the Hill.

When the disc is cut so the needle sticks in the groove, creating a loop. I don't remember that on EOTH, though. Sometimes it can be an unintentional pressing defect, too.

Thanks Clifford. I had never heard that term before and even now, don't know whether I've ever heard an example of it.