Ran Blake

Late

On 4/11/2010 at 9:39 AM, AllenLowe said:

I've always felt partially responsible for driving him underground. His phone number used to be in the book. So 20 years ago I called him up to ask if he was interested in a recording project I was working on, and he was completely paranoid that I'd gotten his phone. I explained to him that it was a public listing. When I checked the next week, it was unlisted.

just doing my bit for American culture.

Dave Brubeck had a listed landline phone, though he wasn't necessarily the one to answer it when he was off the road.

He shared a story that likely happened some time in the 1960s, when a woman called to book him for a wedding reception and she obviously didn't know who he was, as she got his number from the musician's union. What was funny is that he didn't let on about his fame and he was going to be off the road at the time and considering playing it for scale on a lark, when the woman suddenly, shrieked, "Oh, my god, you are the DAVE BRUBECK, I'm so sorry that I bothered you," then she hung up.

10 hours ago, Late said:

Oh man, I forgot how good this one is:
OC04ODE3LmpwZWc.jpeg

MC04MTgzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Grabbed it at random this afternoon, and had to stop what I was doing to just listen. That's what the best music does.

Thanks for reminding. Definitely interested in this one. Ricky Ford was doing wonderful things those days. And I love Steve Lacy in these kind of settings.