Mosaic to release next Jazz Icons DVD set

jazzbo

just re-the above comments about how things sound in these videos - to me all the audiofile considerations go out the window when I see a great player on film - whether its Bird, Prez, Monk, Byard, Bud, Tristano, et all, even in very lo-fi sound, somehow WATCHING these guys play has more impact that 10 albums of 24 bit remastering.

Agreed.

This is a nice one. It being a box set and not separate releases is less of a problem to me since there's no titles on Jazz Icons 5 that I would not want anyway. All the previous Jazz Icons had some that I did not need, not this one. Highlights for me are Coltrane, of course, Kirk, and Freddie Hubbard. There's some un-Mosaic like confusion in info. The Johnny Griffin DVD "Live in France 1971" is actually two shows, one from 1971 and another from 1965. Kirk DVD is supposedly black and white but is actually color footage. Another one that's color is Monk, all the other ones are b/w.

I have this on VHS from a Texas drummer and it sure is wonderful. I'm going to get this when the set is broken down into single discs. This and the Coltrane are on my want list.

I've watched the Coltrane so far, and it's great to see the ALS and the other show which I had on a poor quality VHS boot. The sound is excellent, and the picture quite good. For me the box is a no-brainer. I'd have bought all individually except maybe the Griffin. I have all the full boxes starting with Series 2. From Series 1 I just have Quincy Jones, Monk and Chet Baker, but I've seen the Basie, Ella, Diz, and Blakey from Netflix, and the weak link was Dizzy. It was the bonus discs that started me with Series 2.

Edited by Pete C

I've watched the Coltrane so far, and it's great to see the ALS and the other show which I had on a poor quality VHS boot. The sound is excellent, and the picture quite good. For me the box is a no-brainer. I'd have bought all individually except maybe the Griffin. I have all the full boxes starting with Series 2. From Series 1 I just have Quincy Jones, Monk and Chet Baker, but I've seen the Basie, Ella, Diz, and Blakey from Netflix, and the weak link was Dizzy. It was the bonus discs that started me with Series 2.

Ditto for me except I only have the Monk, Blakey and Jones from the first series. I just wish they would package them in thinner boxes-- they're filling up my bookcases. (Their amazing "American Folk and Blues Tour"

DVDs are in the right size box.

• 3 months later...