Blindfold Test #91 REVEALED

fent99

Answers to some obscure and not that obscure cds in my collection. Wasn't meant to be a soprano fest as much as it was though I do love the sound of the straight horn. It does give away a few of my obsessions (can we all admit we are a wee bit obsessed here?) whether its gigs I've been to, artists that I connect with or simply that I love the sound of something. Sorry its a little late but I was in the hospital at the weekend and need a wee bit more recovery (I'm absolutely fine though!)

Here goes:

Track 01 Suite Time Suite - Opening Kenny Wheeler Colours Orchestra from Camploy Theatre, Verona 19/02/2006.

R-150-1986915-1256894899.jpeg

I'm a massive Kenny Wheeler fan and thought I'd have to have something in my bft. This is live (an audience recording too hope the lo-fi wasn't an issue) and features Italian singer Diana Torto rather than the more customary Norma Winstone. I love his sound on flugelhorn or trumpet and the sadness and beauty in his compositions. There is something easy listening sometimes about the tunes but the musicianship of himself and whoever he is working with always comes through. Living in London for a while I was lucky enough to see him live a few times so this is a neat momento (though this is live from Italy in 2006). Most memorable occasion though is after a few drinks going into the old Vortex in Stoke Newington to hear Kenny and Evan Parker blowing up a storm. Even my wife was impressed especially by what nice guys they were to chat to afterwards!

Track 02 God Give me Strength Charles Lloyd from NY Jazz Fest June 9, 1999

Charles_Lloyd_Voice_In_The_Night_album_cover.jpg

Not a gig I went to though I was in New York for this festival. There was a service where you could buy recordings of the gigs you went to and I kept looking out for the ones I attended but never did find Threadgill or the Horwitz/Previte/Anderson gigs I attended I did buy this cd of Lloyd though with John Scofield sitting in for Abercrombie and totally love this recording. I like the ECM sound but live this is just amazing and never seems to last its full 16 minutes

Track 03 Buster Williams Something More from Something More

Buster+Williams+-+Something+More+(1989).jpg

Excellent album traded away in the Jazz Trading Post years ago and took a while to re-find. Not the best sounding record though its RVG at the helm. Think the mix shows its age. Surprised Shorter was so hard to pick up for some since I love it when he does these incredible solos esp. on some of the rock records he's done. Joni Mitchell's re-recording of Both Sides Now is a great example.

Track 04 Bolo Blues Jimmy Forrest from Out Of The Forrest

1221143718_jfoutofforrweb.jpg

Took this out of the Library in a dark period for me living in rural aberdeenshire and working on building sites 70 hours a week to make some money to take back to college. Don't have a lot of this kind of thing in my collection but love it for all that Joe Zawinul gives it something different on keys and might offent a purists ears. He's still a while from his own thing and sounds more "authentic" with Cannonball but I love this cut. There's an earlier version on Delmark worht digging out too.

Track 05 Sentimentalia James Carter And Cyrus Chestnut Duets (radio Promo)

caa2224128a0ca2635438010.L._AA300_.jpg

Picked up a radio promo of a duets session with this on on a business trip to the US manay moons ago and then the Cyrus Chestnut album its from in holland on another trip (illustrated here and on amazon.com used for $0.01) loved the tune and listened to this loads at the time. Never entirely convinced about Carter though I like the Pavement covers album and saw Chestnut earlier this year at the Carnegie Hall (the original in Dunfermline, Scotland) which made me dig this out!

Edited by fent99

Track 06 Priestess Masabumi Kikuchi + Gil Evans from Masabumi Kikuchi + Gil Evans

Gil-Evans-Masabumi-Kikuchi-532383.jpg

Love Billy Harper and Gil Evans and the studio album Priestess was something else taken out of the library and put on a c90 and well palyed on busses and trains around the UK and beyond. Never found that on CD but Destination: Out provided a superb replacement for the digital age...

Destination: Out

Track 07 I've Found Joy Matthew Halsall from Colour Yes

51cWtMpRDxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Passed on to me by one of my oldest friends. Love the spiritual jazz vibe going on and though its recorded now rather than in the 60s there is something here to cherish. Go support them! Based in Manchester, UK so the should be local to you Bill, the albums on the label (link below) are all good Nat Birchall's Akhenaten might be the pick but Matt Halsall's were the first I heard and listened to the most. Good value as mp3 (£3.99) and on CD too.

Gondwana Records

There's a live session to listen to here:

Matthew Halsall Live In Session for Gilles Peterson @ Maida Vale

Track 08 Ida Lupino Michel Portal from Dockings

e89389gn403.jpg

I love this tune whether by Carla Bley, Paul Bley, whoever. Its included because it was bought from an mp3 seller kinda because you can. You can search amazon or e-music or i-tunes and buy all the versions of a track you can find. Love the colour on this, the Bandeon and the two basses. It takes me somewhere else. Wheras the next two take me home...

Track 09 Don't Sing That Song Bill Wells Octet from The Elongated Cat

As I've written in the discussion. This tune worked its way into my brain and refused to leave. Self released, short run cdr culled from live gigs and indifferently recorded I still find something to cherish here and would rather have it as it is than it be lost to the ether. Bill Wells is Scottish and has not had the kind of exposure he maybe shoudl have. He seems as happy making alternative music as jazz though the peak of beauty (other than this track is the Bill wells Trio albums on Domino

Wiki link

Track 10 Kelly Bray John Surman Road To Saint Ives

e30636h6var.jpg

Simply Beautiful, something lovely and celtic about this.

Track 11 I'll Have One When It's Over Horace Tapscott The Tapscott Sessions, Vol. 5

I have a poster on here to thank for this. Mildly obsessed with Horace for the moment and these solo sessions are amazing. They look inward and outward and have a great beauty about them too.

tapses_5.jpg

Thanks to everyone for listening!

I may post wee bits more and if I work out how to post images I'll upload better pics for a few of these. I really loved taking part in the BFT since it made me think about what I listen to in anew way and let me introduce a few of my favourites to some new listeners.

Thanks!

Edited by fent99

Track 01 Suite Time Suite - Opening Kenny Wheeler Colours Orchestra from Camploy Theatre, Verona 19/02/2006.

R-150-1986915-1256894899.jpeg

I'm a massive Kenny Wheeler fan and thought I'd have to have something in my bft. This is live (an audience recording too hope the lo-fi wasn't an issue) and features Italian singer Diana Torto rather than the more customary Norma Winstone. I love his sound on flugelhorn or trumpet and the sadness and beauty in his compositions. There is something easy listening sometimes about the tunes but the musicianship of himself and whoever he is working with always comes through. Living in London for a while I was lucky enough to see him live a few times so this is a neat momento (though this is live from Italy in 2006). Most memorable occasion though is after a few drinks going into the old Vortex in Stoke Newington to hear Kenny and Evan Parker blowing up a storm. Even my wife was impressed especially by what nice guys they were to chat to afterwards!

Well, that explains that. I love Wheeler and his writing. This is obvious to me in hindsight.

Not a gig I went to though I was in New York for this festival. There was a service where you could buy recordings of the gigs you went to and I kept looking out for the ones I attended but never did find Threadgill or the Horwitz/Previte/Anderson gigs I attended I did buy this cd of Lloyd though with John Scofield sitting in for Abercrombie and totally love this recording. I like the ECM sound but live this is just amazing and never seems to last its full 16 minutes

Wow. Scofield always seems to just miss my ear. Oddly, he bought some used records from my Dad via a personal add many, many years ago. His taste was excellent, but somehow the execution tends to miss me.

Track 04 Bolo Blues Jimmy Forrest from Out Of The Forrest

1221143718_jfoutofforrweb.jpg

Took this out of the Library in a dark period for me living in rural aberdeenshire and working on building sites 70 hours a week to make some money to take back to college. Don't have a lot of this kind of thing in my collection but love it for all that Joe Zawinul gives it something different on keys and might offent a purists ears. He's still a while from his own thing and sounds more "authentic" with Cannonball but I love this cut. There's an earlier version on Delmark worht digging out too.

A-HA!!!! I was right! On one of my iPods, I loaded up every tune in my collection with "blues" in the title for the commute (just on a whim). This was in there.

Track 05 Sentimentalia James Carter And Cyrus Chestnut Duets (radio Promo)

caa2224128a0ca2635438010.L._AA300_.jpg

Picked up a radio promo of a duets session with this on on a business trip to the US manay moons ago and then the Cyrus Chestnut album its from in holland on another trip (illustrated here and on amazon.com used for $0.01) loved the tune and listened to this loads at the time. Never entirely convinced about Carter though I like the Pavement covers album and saw Chestnut earlier this year at the Carnegie Hall (the original in Dunfermline, Scotland) which made me dig this out!

This one kind of shocks me. I'm a huge JC fan, and usually gush when I hear him. This one missed me, though.

Track 06 Priestess Masabumi Kikuchi + Gil Evans from Masabumi Kikuchi + Gil Evans

Gil-Evans-Masabumi-Kikuchi-532383.jpg

Love Billy Harper and Gil Evans and the studio album Priestess was something else taken out of the library and put on a c90 and well palyed on busses and trains around the UK and beyond. Never found that on CD but Destination: Out provided a superb replacement for the digital age...

Love this stuff. Harper is my guy and I was thrilled to see how many nailed this.

51cWtMpRDxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Passed on to me by one of my oldest friends. Love the spiritual jazz vibe going on and though its recorded now rather than in the 60s there is something here to cherish. Go support them! Based in Manchester, UK so the should be local to you Bill, the albums on the label (link below) are all good Nat Birchall's Akhenaten might be the pick but Matt Halsall's were the first I heard and listened to the most. Good value as mp3 (£3.99) and on CD too.

Very pleased to discover this.

Track 11 I'll Have One When It's Over Horace Tapscott The Tapscott Sessions, Vol. 5

I have a poster on here to thank for this. Mildly obsessed with Horace for the moment and these solo sessions are amazing. They look inward and outward and have a great beauty about them too.

tapses_5.jpg

I'll be damned. There is much to love about HT, so I'm going to go back and dig this one again and see what I missed. This whole series is outstanding and has to make you wonder what is fair in this business if nobody knows Horace Tapscott.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT a second!!!!! This is the Elvis Costello-Burt Bacharach piece?????? Dang, I need to try & listen to this again!

Buster+Williams+-+Something+More+(1989).jpg

Excellent album traded away in the Jazz Trading Post years ago and took a while to re-find. Not the best sounding record though its RVG at the helm. Think the mix shows its age. Surprised Shorter was so hard to pick up for some since I love it when he does these incredible solos esp. on some of the rock records he's done. Joni Mitchell's re-recording of Both Sides Now is a great example.

Ahhhhhh, the Jazz Trading Post! How I miss those days! I can honestly say that NOTHING broadened my jazz horizon and hipped me to so much good music as those wonderful daze. I bring this up because either you traded this to me or I traded it to you. One of the two, and now I know why this sounded strangely familiar, and even after it was ID'd, why it was still familiarly unfamiliar. Looks like I owned it at one time, and judging by this track, I think I remember why I traded it away!

Love this stuff. Harper is my guy and I was thrilled to see how many nailed this.

Very pleased to discover this.

tapses_5.jpg

I'll be damned. There is much to love about HT, so I'm going to go back and dig this one again and see what I missed. This whole series is outstanding and has to make you wonder what is fair in this business if nobody knows Horace Tapscott.

Great comments. Glad you liked this! You're so right there is so much in Horace's solo stuff. A lifetimes study right there

Edited by fent99

Colin, great job. Now we're even - I introduced you to Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons (as well as to my family) in the USA, and you introduced me to Matthew Halsall from the UK. I like to think we're both richer for the experiences!

Absolutely. Remember my first exposure to Rocky and Bullwinkle very well... Thanks for the comments and hope you and yours are all well! c

I have that Cyrus Chestnut album but did not remember the song. Darn!

I have to get that Charles Lloyd album. I really loved that song.

I have been curious about those Tapscotts--they are clearly worth checking out.

Thanks for a most enjoyable BFT!

I dug out the Chestnut Albums since I'd seen him earlier in the year. Its a great tune. Lloyd is great (just keeps getting better as time passes?) and as noted above the tune is the Costello/Bacharach one also covered by Frisell about the same time. Tapscott is a wonder and all the solo stuff I've heard is marvellous. Its not fabulously recorded but the atmosphere of the room and the sound of the piano is a joy. Thanks for taking part! C

I have that Cyrus Chestnut album but did not remember the song. Darn!

I have to get that Charles Lloyd album. I really loved that song.

I have been curious about those Tapscotts--they are clearly worth checking out.

Thanks for a most enjoyable BFT!

I dug out the Chestnut Albums since I'd seen him earlier in the year. Its a great tune. Lloyd is great (just keeps getting better as time passes?) and as noted above the tune is the Costello/Bacharach one also covered by Frisell about the same time. Tapscott is a wonder and all the solo stuff I've heard is marvellous. Its not fabulously recorded but the atmosphere of the room and the sound of the piano is a joy. Thanks for taking part! C

Indeed! :)

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT a second!!!!! This is the Elvis Costello-Burt Bacharach piece?????? Dang, I need to try & listen to this again!

Ahhhhhh, the Jazz Trading Post! How I miss those days! I can honestly say that NOTHING broadened my jazz horizon and hipped me to so much good music as those wonderful daze. I bring this up because either you traded this to me or I traded it to you. One of the two, and now I know why this sounded strangely familiar, and even after it was ID'd, why it was still familiarly unfamiliar. Looks like I owned it at one time, and judging by this track, I think I remember why I traded it away!

Yep thats the song and maybe the best of Costello's later stuff?

So thats where the Buster Williams went. Cost me much more for the second copy...

Its not fabulously recorded but the atmosphere of the room and the sound of the piano is a joy.

Exactly for that reason it is fabulously recorded!

You are so right! Thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed the music

Thanks for an interesting and enjoyable BFT - there are a couple of these that I want to pick up.

Glad to hear it! Loved reading others impressions of things I like

Edited by fent99

fent99,

Please forgive me for not acknowledging your efforts sooner. I've been away from home and haven't spent much time on this board. I did, however, get to listen to the BFT a number of times. Enjoyed it very much.

I actually recognized a couple of the horn players (easy to say now). I've always thought I would be able to pick out Kenny Wheeler, guess I was wrong about that. Track 8 was probably my favorite music.

Thanks again.