Gordon Beck 1935-2011

brownie

Sad news indeed.

I last saw him several years ago at the Appleby Jazz Festival where he was absolutely outstanding playing a solo piano set. I must say however that he did not look very well, although I guess that's not uncommon with jazzmen of a certain age!

......and thanks for the recommendation, Brownie, I've just ordered it!

Edited by Head Man

Heard it yesterday, gave "No Tears... No Goodbyes" two spins, and will give it at least one more spin tonight. Wonderful disc.

Don't know that much with Beck, and as leader albums go, the only one I have is that Bill Evans tribute (on MPS) - also gave it a spin today, it's pretty good!

Don't know that much with Beck, and as leader albums go, the only one I have is that Bill Evans tribute (on MPS) - also gave it a spin today, it's pretty good!

He's had a few albums released by Art of Life Records including one of him playing live at Appleby Jazz, I see!

Gordon Beck on Art of Life Records

I can definitely recommend "Experiments with Pops" & "Gyroscope".

Edited by Head Man

He's had a few albums released by Art of Life Records including one of him playing live at Appleby Jazz, I see!

Gordon Beck on Art of Life Records

I can definitely recommend "Experiments with Pops" & "Gyroscope".

Seems I've been to that site before... the "Jazz Trio" with Humair and Mathewson looks tempting, too!

the only one I have is that Bill Evans tribute (on MPS) - also gave it a spin today, it's pretty good!

Has this been reissued on CD? Never head this though I have a dvd of a live gig of the band which is ok but I've always fancied the studio album.

It did get released - on JMS not MPS - but is now OOP. It is available as a download at Amazon.com though.

the only one I have is that Bill Evans tribute (on MPS) - also gave it a spin today, it's pretty good!

Has this been reissued on CD? Never head this though I have a dvd of a live gig of the band which is ok but I've always fancied the studio album.

No idea - I recently found the LP!

Oh damn - more bad news to wake up to. Fabulous musician with a great ear. I will try to spin 'Gyroscope' later today - that one is fantastic. Not to mention the 'Experiments With Pops'. Didn't see him anywhere near enough - Ronnie Scotts back in the early 80s would be the last time I think. RIP Mr Beck. :(

Incidentally, Brownie, I've always thought that Beck was much more appreciated in France than here in the UK. From the 1970s onwards he seemed to work much more over there than he did here. Very low-profile.

Edited by sidewinder

Sad news indeed. 'Gyroscope' was my first Beck purchase and it knocked me out. Beck had great touch and taste. Never saw him live, sadly enough. Easily as good as Stan Tracey although their styles differ markedly. Will actively seek out the trio recording with Humair. 'November Song' is a French quartet session that should be heard.

post-12629-0-37163300-1320892829_thumb.j