fresh sound new talent recommendations?

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

hello. this label seems to have some good music on it and more stuff is coming out all the time. i like some of what i have heard but am sick of guessing blindly which discs to pick up so i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of what they think are the best discs out on FSNT they have heard. thanks for any input.

as far as what i have listened to, here is what i like and dislike:

i like-

marlon browden-marlon browden trio

eivind opvsik-overseas

gerald cleaver-adjust

reid anderson-vastness of space

reid anderson-abolish bad architecture

sebastian weiss-polaroid memory

dont like-

chris cheek-a girl named joe

john ellis-roots branches and leaves

bloomdaddies-mosh for lovers

not sure about-

christian weisendanger-urban village

that's all i have heard so any input would be much appreciated.

I have the most recent CD from the New Jazz Composers Octet which I like a lot. It's a little bit like some of the larger Duke Pearson-arranged groups from the Blue Note days, but contemporary. Jeremy Pelt is the best trumpeter on the scene today under 30 (IMO). I've also heard good things about Marcus Strickland, but I haven't bought that one yet.

Edited by montg

Guest akanalog

the lightcap CDs were two in particular i was curious about so thank you for your input. i think one or both of them have tony malaby on tenor. i was very impressed with him on eivind opvsik's "overseas". david weiss' "breathing room" had also inteterested me so i am glad to hear that one might be woth a purchase.

the lightcap CDs were two in particular i was curious about so thank you for your input. i think one or both of them have tony malaby on tenor. i was very impressed with him on eivind opvsik's "overseas". david weiss' "breathing room" had also inteterested me so i am glad to hear that one might be woth a purchase.

I've got the Chris Lightcap with Tony Malaby -- it's a keeper!

I've only heard three: Reid Anderson's The Vastness of Space (good), Ethan Iverson's The Minor Passions (good), & one by Phil Stockli whose title I can't remember but which is eminently avoidable.

I should pick up the Nat Su disc. He's a really, really nice alto player from Cameroon with a light Konitzian sound. He's worth checking out on Fredi Luescher's Dear C: The Music of Carla Bley on Altrisuoni, one of my favourite releases of 2003.

Perico Sambeat & Bruce Barth Quartet - Jindungo (1997)

Perico Sambeat - Ademuz (1995)

Brad Mehldau trio with Perico Sambeat - New York Barcelona Crossing vol. 1&2 (1993)

Albert Bover & Horacio Fumero - Duo (1995)

David Mengual - Monkiana (1996)

If I don´t promote Spanish jazzmen, who will do? ;)

Now seriously, Perico Sambeat is one of the most interesting European saxophonists of the last ten years, IMHO.

These worked best for me

The New Jazz Composers Octet Walkin' The Line

Myron Walden Higher Ground

Jeremy Pelt Profile

Marcus Strickland Brotherhood

David Weiss Breathing Room

I thought these were OK as well

Taylor Haskins Wake Up Call

Vardan Ovsepian Sketch Book

Matt Penman The Unquiet

Miguel Zenon Looking Forward

Robert Glasper Mood

• 11 months later...
Guest akanalog

ha. i started this thread and since i have denounced the label.

not denounced. but i have decided nothing coming out on this label gives me good reason to hear it.

it all started when i realized that i didn't really actually like "the vastness of space" but actually found it annoying and then i saw bill mchenry in concert with ethan iverson and reid anderson and i said-i am listening to these overschooled jerks? and i also realized that i thought "a girl named joe" was incredibly boring and i was expecting big things from it.

so i am done with this garbage. i will stick to the 70s and before. nothin' new to see here.

though if i was going to listen to something-i would enthusiastically recommend marlon browden's self titled trio record. (is it bowden? sorry...)

sorry i have been up all night with stomach pains so i am delerious and annoyed.

For those who can read Spanish, there´s an extensive and interesting interview with Jordi Pujol in www.tomajazz.com (the best jazz website in Spanish, IMHO):

Interview by José Francisco Tapiz: "Jordi Pujol: Buscando el sonido de los nuevos talentos"

Agustin, too bad my spanish is so bad! :angry: The interview looks interesting.

By the way, is that how Jordi Pujol looks nowadays? For a second, I thought this was George Mraz!

so i am done with this garbage. i will stick to the 70s and before. nothin' new to see here.

It always makes me sad to read comments like these. There's so much good jazz coming out these days (especially on FSNT), but it seems that so many people are so wrapped up in the golden ages that they become discriminatory against everything else. Not a good sign for our music.

Guest akanalog

hey im only 27 and i was excited when i heard about this label and purchased many of the releases.

sort of the same thing happened to me in regards to the thirsty ear blue series.

i was excited but then realized the albums were all missing the mark in terms of giving me something new and compelling to listen to.

akanalog, can I give you a couple recommendations?

Try Avshai Cohen's "The Trumpet Player" and "Guilty" by Chris Cheek, Ethan Iverson, Ben Street, and Jorge Rossy. Both are on FSNT.

Have you tried William Parker's "Scrapbook" on Thirsty Ear?

If you listen to these and still feel the same, I will stand corrected! :g

By the way, we're the same age! I can't believe my 10 year high school reunion is this year.... :o

ha. i started this thread and since i have denounced the label.

not denounced. but i have decided nothing coming out on this label gives me good reason to hear it.

it all started when i realized that i didn't really actually like "the vastness of space" but actually found it annoying and then i saw bill mchenry in concert with ethan iverson and reid anderson and i said-i am listening to these overschooled jerks? and i also realized that i thought "a girl named joe" was incredibly boring and i was expecting big things from it.

though if i was going to listen to something-i would enthusiastically recommend marlon browden's self titled trio record. (is it bowden? sorry...)

sorry i have been up all night with stomach pains so i am delerious and annoyed.

maybe the ones more along these lines will work for you:

Jeremy Pelt Profile

David Weiss The Mirror

Kris Davis Lifespan

have you heard any of these?

I really like the Bill McHenry recordings I've gotten so far: "Graphic", "Live at Small's" (with Iverson), and "Quartet Featuring Paul Motian". McHenry is a very lyrical player, and has a very distinct sound.

I also like Ben Waltzer recordings with McHenry: "Jazz is Where You Find It", and "In Metropolitan Motion".

I have not listened enough to the two Lightcap recordings that has both McHenry and Malaby, the two sax players nowdays that I find most interesting. One of these days, I'd like to try some Chris Cheek albums with Iverson.

I like the relatively casual and spontaneous feel of many of these FSNT recordings. In this way, these recordings remind me of the older American recordings of the 1950's and 1960's. I find that a lot of stuff put out by the major labels these days are just over-produced, and sound a bit canned.

Guest akanalog

yes i have heard a majority of these albums listed below. i have done my homework on the labels.i am just going to bow out of the thread.

Jeremy Pelt Profile

David Weiss The Mirror

Kris Davis Lifespan

have you heard any of these?

Try Avshai Cohen's "The Trumpet Player" and "Guilty" by Chris Cheek, Ethan Iverson, Ben Street, and Jorge Rossy. Both are on FSNT.

yeah yeah. i have heard most of these. i am just not interested in what these muscians are saying. it is all post-modern blah. it sounds like student work-like all these dudes went to the new school jazz program and created their own little groups and play at cornelia street cafe every other week. but what are they saying? nothing too new in my book. i would rather spend my money somewhere else. plenty of great reissues still coming out from a time when the music was fresher. i might as well go jam at a friends house. it would be an equally valid artistic statement, which is to say not too valid in my book. i would not expect anyone to buy a jazz album featuring me, were that ever to happen. it would be insulting to all the jazz that came before me. boy am i grumpy. thank you for the recommendations but i am out of this thread. this is all just my insane opinion.

Have you tried William Parker's "Scrapbook" on Thirsty Ear?

thirsty ear is a different story. william parkers stuff is fine, i don't like violin so i don't like this release and most of his stuff i am just not that into though i respect him, but most of the other stuff-it annoys me how it is presented as this big deal big futuristic thing when i could find like half the ninja tune roster has been doing the same thing for so long it is already old. and like 90% of shipp's albums are failed experments-rarely is it like "damn, this is good!" usually it is like "intersting. good try. perhaps next time." and tim berne, tried as i might to get into, embodies to me, the soulless modern white sax player.

Some great recommendations so far. My top three picks are:

1. New Jazz Composer's Octet "Walkin' The Line"--simply superb interplay

(by the way, I have an advance copy of some tracks from their upcoming release "The Turning Gate" which also promises to be amazing)

2. David Weiss "The Mirror"--one of the top six new releases from last year IMHO

3. Pablo Ablanedo Octet "Allegria"--great release from a couple of years back. Tremendous arrangements.

LWayne :D

Edited by LWayne

• 2 weeks later...

A brand new project Jordi Pujol put together is called "The Sound of New York Jazz Underground featuring The Fresh Sound Jazz Orchestra." The three big band configurations on this two-CD set are made up of players who have recorded releases on FSNT in the past 10 years since the founding of the label. What Pujol did was ask 8 composer arrangers who had done work previously with the label, to write one original composition and one arrangement. The arrangements vary from Giant Steps (a la hip-hop to the reworking of an Argentine pianist/poet's song. Many of the composer arrangers are foreigners who I assume live and work in NY.

I got the CD in the mail as a radio promotion along with a DVD featurette. The DVD was very amateurly done but it explained what the project was about and featured interviews with the composers/arrangers and included shots of the band recording/rehearsing/fooling around. Some of the notables on the recording are Jeff Ballard, Claudia Acuna, Diego Urcola, Jason Lindner, Chris Cheek, Avi Lebovich, Jimmy Greene, Ben Monder, Marcus Strickland, Miguel Zenon, Bill McHenry and a host of other younger NY players.

A lot of the playing is beautiful. Since I got it for free I have no idea whether it comes bundled together as 2 CD and accompanying DVD nor do I have an idea of the price. But here are a few links that might help:

Review on AAJ

the DVD

2 CD set

Edited by cannonball-addict