Ornette on Impuse!

sonnymax

Have either of Ornette Coleman's two releases on Impulse!, Crisis and Ornette At 12, ever been reissued on CD or been available as a digital download, in the U.S., Japan, or elsewhere? Thanks in advance for thoughtful replies. Hopefully this won't turn into a Denardo-bashing thread.

I have both of those albums on LP, and AFAIK, they were not issued on CD, but maybe somebody here knows differently.

Actually I dig Ornette at 12. There is a sense of freshness and liveliness to the album, which has to be attributed in part to Denardo. Having Dewey Redman on board doesn't hurt either. Haven't listened to Crisis in a while; got to give it a spin.

It has been said on the board before that Ornette got the masters back a while ago from whoever owns Impulse (I think it's Verve).

I'm not sure this means that Ornette could not release these eventually. There could be many reasons why he has not done so yet. A complete release would have to include the single 'Man On The Moon'/'Growing Up' (Impulse 45-275) as well as the 2 LPs.

Bertrand.

Since I finally got myself an LP player again, I can listen to all them wonderful LPs I had collected, among them - needless to say - those two Impulse.

Many years I also have wondered why there´s no CD reissue of it. It seems "Impulse" doesn´t have someone like Rudy VanGelder, too much stuff has never been reissued on CD. Anyway, now I can listen to them again.

"Crisis" actually was my second or third album of Ornette Coleman (after "The Shape of Jazz to come" and "Empty Foxhole") and it was much harder to listen to me than the before mentioned, because there´s no straight ahead part, on which I could have relaxed, just to "hold on". But I realized it´s fantastic music and it helped me to learn more about free jazz, to learn to listen it without missing that 4/4 time.

I don´t know about Denardo bashing. I liked him from the first moment on, on "Foxhole" he even swings on "Good Old Days" and other tunes.

"Ornette at 12" I got a little later but I like it very much also, especially the kind of free "ballad" titled "New York" or something like that.

I think this composition from "Ornette at 12" was the theme for one later Ornette album only for strings and Denardo on drums, titled "Prime Design, Time Design" or something like that. It might be from 1983 and I loved that string version of the tune from Ornette at 12, though usually I´m not familiar to string quartets.

• 11 years later...

I must admit I have no idea about what label later owned what former label. Verve owning Impulse ? Sounds strange to me, I always had associated Verve with more easier mainstream jazz like Oscar Peterson, I don´t have many Verve albums. Some of the Bird und Bud albums on Verve are a little disappointing. 
Impulse on the other hand, I saw so many reissues of Trane on CD, so it´s quite astonishing that they didn´t the same on the two important OC albums.

I don't know if I understand your question correctly. However, I'll try to answer it:
Man On The Moon had two editions:
one promo published by Impulse! - 45-275
the other, the only one on the market as an EP, published by Stateside - 2C 006-90,643 M
see at: https://www.discogs.com/it/release/3386425-Ornette-Coleman-Man-On-The-Moon-Growing-Up
Now I have a problem:
Don Cherry plays in both tracks or only in Man On The Moon. In that case in Growin Up Ornette would also play trumpet.
I hope I have been clear in stating my doubts and that someone can resolve them, perhaps finally
Thank you Luciano

4 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

me 2

Ciao Chuck,

the question is:
Does Don Cherry play on both tracks or only on Man On The Moon?
I hope you can get some "definitive" information on this issue
Take Care

Luciano

6 hours ago, Luciano said:

I don't know if I understand your question correctly. However, I'll try to answer it:
Man On The Moon had two editions:
one promo published by Impulse! - 45-275
the other, the only one on the market as an EP, published by Stateside - 2C 006-90,643 M
see at: https://www.discogs.com/it/release/3386425-Ornette-Coleman-Man-On-The-Moon-Growing-Up
Now I have a problem:
Don Cherry plays in both tracks or only in Man On The Moon. In that case in Growin Up Ornette would also play trumpet.
I hope I have been clear in stating my doubts and that someone can resolve them, perhaps finally
Thank you Luciano

Ciao Chuck,

the question is:
Does Don Cherry play on both tracks or only on Man On The Moon?
I hope you can get some "definitive" information on this issue
Take Care

Luciano

Ciao Chuck,

Thanks for the answer and:

Does Me 2 mean that Don plays on both tracks on the EP?

Greetings

Luciano

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I must admit I have no idea about what label later owned what former label. Verve owning Impulse ? Sounds strange to me, I always had associated Verve with more easier mainstream jazz like Oscar Peterson, I don´t have many Verve albums. Some of the Bird und Bud albums on Verve are a little disappointing. 
Impulse on the other hand, I saw so many reissues of Trane on CD, so it´s quite astonishing that they didn´t the same on the two important OC albums.

Think of "Verve" as "Verve Music Group" and it becomes more clear--Verve Music Group was a collective of a number of labels. I'm not fully knowledgable of all the ins and outs but this century there were further sales and mergers etc. among labels and Verve and Impulse are now under Universal (I think they were previously as well). 

The big corporations that control so many musical holdings make for some strange bedfellows such as the Verve label and the Impulse label, far from the weirdest after all. . . .