Van Halen

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I grew up with Van Halen and listened to them when I was in elementary school in the early 80s. I remember when "diver down" was released. Had all their records and remember liking "1984" but already thought at a young age it was starting to sound a bit commercial!!

Anyway here's sort of a cool story that happened recently - a good friend of mine recently sold a few Hagstrom guitars to Pat Smear and just last week Pat emailed my friend a link to a Foo Fighters concert at which he played my buddy's guitar. It was at recent Dave Grohl birthday concert and guess who the guest vocalist was? None other then Diamond Dave haha...they played two great tracks - "panama"(always my favorite from 1984) and "ain't talking bout love".

I grew up with Van Halen and listened to them when I was in elementary school in the early 80s. I remember when "diver down" was released. Had all their records and remember liking "1984" but already thought at a young age it was starting to sound a bit commercial!!

Anyway here's sort of a cool story that happened recently - a good friend of mine recently sold a few Hagstrom guitars to Pat Smear and just last week Pat emailed my friend a link to a Foo Fighters concert at which he played my buddy's guitar. It was at recent Dave Grohl birthday concert and guess who the guest vocalist was? None other then Diamond Dave haha...they played two great tracks - "panama"(always my favorite from 1984) and "ain't talking bout love".

Cool story!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Yes: Women and Children First. VH 1 would also count but "Atomic Punk" is pretty lame. Also, it's mixed for shit with his forlorn guitar out there alone in the left channel.

:lol: LOL!

I respect your opinion, though the 2015 remaster of VH 1 from HD Tracks sounds very good to me. The mixing is what it is, of course.

Edited by erwbol

I think the DCC gold CD of VH1 sounds great. If you choose to believe him, Hoffman supposedly found some old master that had never been used for the DCC LP & CD and I think it shows.

BTW - this one picture seems to have everyone worried. I don't know, to me, he just looks a little pudgy. I think many of us are going to end up looking a little like this. :)

[IMG]

• 6 months later...