Anybody recommend some Stephane Grappelli

fent99

Hi All

Couldn't find a thread or a corner so thought I'd ask.

Listening to John Ethridge talk about his time with Grappelli and enjoying what was played on the BBC Jazz Library podcast recently made me dig out the only Grappelli I have: a Pye LP from the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London in 1971.

Enjoying it since it wasn't as cheesy as I remember with a nice mainstream piano trio (John Clare? don't have it in front of me).

I have loads of hot club stuff (couple of box sets of Django plus some single cds) and the rhythm sections mean I may never need to listen to any more. Any other recommended Grappelli in this style. There is a lot of it out there but not sure where to start.

PS My Wife loves this stuff too; takes her back to a trip to Paris, so anything that can similarly transport her would be appreciated (Air France notwithstanding...)

PS My Wife loves this stuff too; takes her back to a trip to Paris, so anything that can similarly transport her would be appreciated (Air France notwithstanding...)

Unless you're an accordion hater, you've got to have some Gus Viseur. Here's a blog post about him from Durium:

http://keepswinging.blogspot.com/2008/12/gus-viseur-accordion-player-1915-1974.html

I seem to remember a cassette I had with McCoy Tyner that was pretty good.

Yes, that's One on One:

http://www.amazon.com/One-Stephane-Grappelli/dp/B000000XTB/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1331312654&sr=1-1

I've never even heard of this album. Maybe I should pick it up.

I have a few other late Grappelli CDs and LPs. I'll try to recommend one or two tonight...

In 1974, IIRC, when I was 18, Grappelli came to NYC and played the Bottom Line. My friends and I said to each other, "He's ancient, we'd better go, we may never get a chance to see him again." He was great, and of course he had more than 20 years ahead of him on earth and on stage.

I just found this on Spotify. Check out the lineup.

51nj7bcXi0L._SS500_.jpg

Edited by Pete C

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (ft. Stéphane Grappelli) <<< This Youtube link cues directly to where his solo begins.

This is totally legit (and it's really Grappelli, who was recording in the studio next door that day), and comes from the very recent expanded reissues of the Pink Floyd album, Wish You Were Here.

His solo comes in around the 3 minute mark (link above), but if you just want to hear the whole song, here 'tis...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (ft. Stéphane Grappelli) <<< This Youtube link cues directly to where his solo begins.

This is totally legit (and it's really Grappelli, who was recording in the studio next door that day), and comes from the very recent expanded reissues of the Pink Floyd album, Wish You Were Here.

His solo comes in around the 3 minute mark (link above), but if you just want to hear the whole song, here 'tis...

Love this too. Great to hear an outtake with something really interesting going on