NFL 2012

to me, the antiseptic conditions do detract from the game. give me a quarterback that can complete passes with a wet, fog, and/or cold ball, and wind.....................................

art modell once staged preseason football doubleheaders between nfl teams. the last was in a monsoon in mud on a natural surface with the cleveland orchestra performing.. now, that was truly super.....................

Edited by alocispepraluger102

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to me, the antiseptic conditions do detract from the game. give me a quarterback that can complete passes with a wet, fog, and/or cold ball, and wind.....................................

art modell once staged preseason football doubleheaders between nfl teams. the last was in a monsoon in mud on a natural surface with the cleveland orchestra performing.. now, that was truly super.....................

Make up yer mind! If the antiseptic conditions detract from the game, why is it "ridiculous" that the Super Bowl will be held at Met Life Stadium next year?

Or is this yet another weary, yet veiled (barely) dig at New York?

Make up yer mind! If the antiseptic conditions detract from the game, why is it "ridiculous" that the Super Bowl will be held at Met Life Stadium next year?

Well, for one thing, the fans will have to brave the cold , too. That might affect ticket sales and hotel stays [eateries would suffer, as well].

What I don't get is why is California not a regular destination for the Super Bowl? The weather is reasonable, tourism abounds and the fans will most surely stick around for longer. Seems to me like a win-win.

What I don't get is why is California not a regular destination for the Super Bowl? The weather is reasonable, tourism abounds and the fans will most surely stick around for longer. Seems to me like a win-win.

It's been fairly regular with 11 hosted over the years. I reckon when the new SF Bay area stadium will get a shot if it puts in a competitive bid. I'm not sure but that may be a hold up for the LA area is lack of a modern stadium although perhaps the NFL views the Rose Bowl as still being adequate. But S.D. is in such financial doodoo it wouldn't be responsible to bid on the game. (It was hard to type that while giggling at the idea of a city being responsible regarding a sporting event). Not California but if you recall the NFL has stated it will not award the Super Bowl to Atlanta as the 21 year old Georgia Dome is considered to be too antiquated. Hence another reason why they're opening the bidding to cold weather outdoor venues.

Well, for one thing, the fans will have to brave the cold , too. That might affect ticket sales and hotel stays [eateries would suffer, as well].

You mean tourism doesn't abound in NYC? I can personally guarantee that ticket sales, eateries and hotels will NOT suffer. It is the "center of the universe", after all. Get real, Tim! I guess you feel that all jazz should've been recorded in California too, huh?

Fact is, without NY, all you guys would be discussing is New Orleans, Satch, trad jazz, Chicago, Dick Bock and all those Mulligan/Baker recordings.

Edited by JETman

NY is dangerous. They have hurricanes. That's why Miami & New Orleans make more sense.

Fact is, without NY, all you guys would be discussing is New Orleans, Satch, trad jazz, Chicago, Dick Bock and all those Mulligan/Baker recordings.

Don't forget Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin, and ECM!

You mean tourism doesn't abound in NYC? I can personally guarantee that ticket sales, eateries and hotels will NOT suffer. It is the "center of the universe", after all. Get real, Tim! I guess you feel that all jazz should've been recorded in California too, huh?

NYC has plenty of tourism...in the Sping and Summer. I don't know of too many folks who plan vacations or whatnot to the snowbelt in the Winter. Just sayin'....

As to Jazz, there was this thing called the West Coast Cool as I recall; it gained a fair amount of noteriety at the time.

NYC is a wonderful place [so I'm told by my wife's side of the family] just too dang cold around Super Bowl time.

Edited by GoodSpeak

The St. Louis Rams announced Tuesday that newly hired defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is no longer the team's DC, saying that "after extensive conversations regarding defensive philosophy" Ryan was "not the right fit" for the position.

Wasn't the right fit because he's a crappy coach, who is more into self promotion than coaching. Have I mentioned before I have no use for either of the Ryan brothers?

They got the self promotion from their father. They missed the coaching part from him.

NY is dangerous. They have hurricanes. That's why Miami & New Orleans make more sense.

Bet your ass! No Texas, though. Only people who have never been think it's dangerous.

NYC has plenty of tourism...in the Sping and Summer. I don't know of too many folks who plan vacations or whatnot to the snowbelt in the Winter. Just sayin'....

As to Jazz, there was this thing called the West Coast Cool as I recall; it gained a fair amount of noteriety at the time.

NYC is a wonderful place [so I'm told by my wife's side of the family] just too dang cold around Super Bowl time.

Proof that ig'nance is not always bliss.

Tourism exists here year round.

As I stated before, makes sense to have a cold weather game in cold weather once in a while. Keeps it real.

I know a couple who go there every January. It's much cheaper to get an apartment for the offseason and since they're going to theaters & restaurants it's not like it has to be 72 degrees outside. If anything it's probably a better time of year to go than August, especially if you're going places that require some dressing up.

As JETman has pointed out. No matter the season....NYC is one of those cities that people will visit year round. Does anyone who has been there think no one will visit Paris during winter? NYC doesn't need the Super Bowl. On the other hand, even as very little as the Super Bowl really adds to any State/City economy....New Jersey where it's being played can use all it can get.

Edited by Blue Train

As JETman has pointed out. No matter the season....NYC is one of those cities that people will visit year round. NYC doesn't need the Super Bowl. On the other hand, even as very little as the Super Bowl really adds to any State/City economy....New Jersey where it's being played can use all it can get.

True dat. Ignorance, jealousy, hyperbole and tongue twisting to hide what one doesn't know abounds here in spades.

Hey Jim, we here in NY got plenty of that there Tums heroin you were pontificating about yesterday. Just let me know if you need any to get you by. K?

No Texas, though. Only people who have never been think it's dangerous.

And most of the people who live here know how dangerous it is!

LenellGeter-640X480_244x183.jpg

Just put yer head down and walk away. You're making yourself look foolish.

I know a couple who go there every January. It's much cheaper to get an apartment for the offseason and since they're going to theaters & restaurants it's not like it has to be 72 degrees outside. If anything it's probably a better time of year to go than August, especially if you're going places that require some dressing up.

I get you.

But I'm willing to bet the ranch there are more tourists in NYC during the warmer months.

Bet your ass! No Texas, though. Only people who have never been think it's dangerous.

Proof that ig'nance is not always bliss.

Tourism exists here year round.

As I stated before, makes sense to have a cold weather game in cold weather once in a while. Keeps it real.

To be fair, nobody is dissing NYC[though California gets far more naive considerations, IMHO].

I just figure the NFL has it's reasons and the cold is probably one of them. No big.

You just have to see it from a person who lives in a warm state's perspective. New Yokers are a far heartier bunch.

Edited by GoodSpeak

But I'm willing to bet the ranch there are more tourists in NYC during the warmer months.

And you would be once again mostly wrong....especially when you bring up the ranch.. The seaons of the year when NYC is most visted is in Autumn, Winter, and Spring. It's also the reason they're the most expensive times to visit.