Marty Ehrlich "The Long View"

Peter

I recall a BNBB resident poster Nathan of "all things in that ny downtown groove" liking this an awful lot. I meant to make it down to an installation at Harvard that I believe this piece was based upon, but alas, never got there.

I think this was an obscure import that could be had from DMG. I'm sure ol' Bruce down there loves it! ;)

No help I know but myself would be interested in hearing any comments on Marty's "Line On Love" release.

I haven't heard Line On Love (Palmetto).

The Long View is an Enja release. Apparently there is some sort of distribution arrangement with Justin

Time. There's a long interview with Ehrlich in Shuffle Boil #4 which sheds some light on where he's coming

from. A major influence was Julius Hemphill. I hear some of that on The Long View. Great roster of musicians, fascinating

music IMO. Not for casual listening.

Jeez, I lost all track of that guy. He used to do subs with Jaki Byard's Apollo Stompers, circa 1984-5. (the NY version, not Boston----and the whole band was subs, just about anyway, except us chickens in the rhythm section). I remember he had a beautiful sound. Ralph Hamperian, the bass player told me he thought he was a great player. I just remember his sound on tenor, and that he was a nice guy.

What's he into musically? Does he do any straight ahead playing (not to offend anyone with the question, I just don't know. Haven't seen or heard him in all that time, but read reviews in the NY Times periodically that mention him)?

Jeez, I lost all track of that guy. He used to do subs with Jaki Byard's Apollo Stompers, circa 1984-5. (the NY version, not Boston----and the whole band was subs, just about anyway, except us chickens in the rhythm section). I remember he had a beautiful sound. Ralph Hamperian, the bass player told me he thought he was a great player. I just remember his sound on tenor, and that he was a nice guy.

What's he into musically? Does he do any straight ahead playing (not to offend anyone with the question, I just don't know. Haven't seen or heard him in all that time, but read reviews in the NY Times periodically that mention him)?

Not being a musician myself, but...go find yourself Marty's "Pliant Plaint" w/ Stan Strickland. Beautiful stuff but might be a bit hard to come by these days.

Boy, I would loved to have seen him fronting w/ Byard. Yoww!

I was able to catch Marty live just last week with Darek Oles and Peter Erskine. Really bright moments ----- I really enjoyed Marty's sound on alto (sax) and bass clarinet. He also played Bb clarinet. There was some really nice telepathy happening, and I left with a greatly renewed respect for all three players.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...l=marty+ehrlich

This is the url for another thread I started on "The Long View" (sorry, I cannot add links/images etc at the moment, no idea why!) - zero replies...

I like that disc very very much, it's the only Ehrlich I have. I will look for his recent Palmetto disc (on which there's a thread in the New Releases section, too).

Once I saw him live, with Bobby Previte's Bump the Renaissance. A very good player.

ubu

Thanks for that editorial review Nate. I will put that on the list. Anxious to hear Taborn in this kind of setting.

As for his more big band-y work, any thoughts on the first, and best, of the two New York Composers Orchestra albums that were on New World. I love that first one. A bit too much Weiselman for me but the Ehrlich solos on there are just fabulous. The players are right on through-out that album.

Ehhhh, didn't like The Long View very much; Line on Love on the other hand is the real McCoy--an extraordinary disc. Here's the writeup I did of the pair:

http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine...dec_text.html#3

Well I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion and it seems typical that I would disagree with a jazz critic but what's the problem with this CD? Too much harmony for you out guys? AMG missed the boat on this one as well. Just further proof to me that you can't trust the critics anymore, they all jump on the same bandwagons. I'll say it again, it's a beautiful disc one of the best I heard last year.

Edited by kdd

Ehrlich also spent time recently in the Andrew Hill band that recorded on Palmetto and appeared at the Chicago Jazz Festival, which was a great set, capped off when Von Freeman came out and played with Andrew's rhythm section and just steam rolled through "Stardust," I think it was. Who's the boss of you!? Vonski is the boss of me! Andrew didn't have a chance. It was strange, really, but not bad.

I just opened this new disc yesterday and there's my man Mark Helias conducting the first cut, playing bass all up in the rest...looking forward to hearing it before reading the critics....

Well I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion and it seems typical that I would disagree with a jazz critic but what's the problem with this CD? Too much harmony for you out guys? AMG missed the boat on this one as well. Just further proof to me that you can't trust the critics anymore, they all jump on the same bandwagons. I'll say it again, it's a beautiful disc one of the best I heard last year.
"You can't trust the critics anymore"? As opposed to some imaginary point in time where they were entirely correct & of one accord? -- The disc has had several pans, yes, but also a few boosts, e.g. from Ben Ratliff in the NY Times. -- Speaking for myself I'm certainly not "an out guy"--the disc I strongly preferred, Line on Love, is a pretty straightahead jazz quartet disc, as you'd expect from something released on Palmetto. Edited by Nate Dorward