Jazz Classics on Blue Note

Late

3 hours ago, dougcrates said:

Earlier this year I got TOCJ-66013 Art Hodes' Hot Five & Seven ... I didn't know anything about this series or era of jazz but for some reason I took a chance.  Fantastic stuff.  Need to track down the rest.  

Nice! This series is super-rare these days, but look for Jamming In Jazz. It's perhaps the best-sounding of the series, and the music is superb.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/24/2022 at 6:33 AM, Late said:

but look for Jamming In Jazz.

That's one I have. And yes it's very good. I have a US compilation with many of the tracks, or all, of Profoundly Blue. With Charlie Christian. I'll have to see the difference of tracks in the reissue. Maybe I'll try to get it. Just for the cover, which is great and wasn't, of course, on the comp. I just checked and it's the full content. Only that some tracks have differing lengths and the last one from the Edmond Hall Swingtet, Steamin and beamin, is called Beamin and steamin on the US domestic release. So I'll stay with mine.

Edited by Bluesnik
check

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Brad said:

Hadn’t heard of this set before. I’m sure it’s worth the price; very few copies on Discogs. Unfortunately I doubt it will be reissued. 

There's material on this set that have not been on cd in the US. Not a ton but maybe a half a cd's worth or more. It's very good sounding material. If you keep an eye out it does show up occasionally and sometimes reasonably.

15 minutes ago, Late said:

I'm jealous! 🙃😉 What a great way to compile this period of Blue Note.

I believe Cuscuna is particularly fond of the two Jimmy Shirley tracks.

I kept checking it out on discogs and one time a seller in Japan had it for about 100 including shipping (just before COVID made deliveries and rates so high). I was surprised to get it and to have it be pristine.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

I'm curious—how much of this material has Mosaic NOT reissued? 

About an hour's worth. Maybe a little over. The music on that 1990 Japanese box set (linked above) that was never on a Mosaic set is quite good. 

On 3/4/2023 at 4:27 PM, Late said:

I wish this would get reissued. Probably won't happen, but maybe in 2039? 

NTUtNTI5MC5qcGVn.jpeg
NzUtNDI4My5qcGVn.jpeg
OTktNDI2Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

Alamo "Pigmeat" Markham was a Blue Note recording artist!

truly amazing set - 32 years old now

AFAIK it's the only way you can source official CD versions of the Clyde Bernhardt/Kansas City Buddies & Pigmeat Markham/Jimmy Shirley sessions (both only ever previously released as 78s) or have they been released on some individual TOCJ CDs?

Edited by romualdo

6 hours ago, romualdo said:

...or have they been released on some individual TOCJ CDs?

I don't think so. The Shirley tracks have appeared on some UK comps. The Bernhardt tracks have appeared on a Fresh Sounds CD, and the Markham...I'm not sure. The Vic Dickenson tracks...have they appeared anywhere else?

Perhaps the Japanese market will reconsider these "lost" tracks for reissue upon Blue Note's centennial. We'll just have to stick around for 16 more years. 😛🤔

That box set is probably the best way to comprehensively hear the early years of Blue Note.

8 hours ago, Late said:

The Bernhardt tracks have appeared on a Fresh Sounds CD

It's a Blue Moon (Sp) release - under the umbrella of Fresh Sounds? - currently OOP

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/clyde-bernahrdt-ike-lloyd-sylvestre-mike-freddie-strong-albums/554-the-complete-recordings-1945-1953-vol2.html?search_query=clyde+bernhardt&results=3