max roach with Hassaan lp

Guest ariceffron

Guest ariceffron

i was reading an old interview that was saying how hasaan was a chief influence on tyner and many of coltranes approaches such as naima and i was wondering what this lp is like if someone can tell me what they think and stuff

I have a burn a friend gave me. It's interesting--not revelatory, but certainly distinctive.

Anyone have any idea why Hasaan never recorded again? Or did he?

This is a good opportunity to plug Giorgio Pacorig's My Mind Is On the Table, a terrific piano trio disc released last year on Splasc(h), which has an excellent tribute, "The Legendary Hasaan".

This is a superb album. A great pianist. Wish he had recorded with Kenny Dorham who - according to the liner notes to his one Atlantic LP - was the first person Hasaan ran into when he decided to try his luck in New York.

And would like Atlantic to issue the unreleased second album by Hasaan. This was recorded in August and September 1965 in New York with Odeon Pope, Art Davis and drummer Khalil Madi.

Anyone have any idea why Hasaan never recorded again?

A Cadence interview a few years back with, I think, Odean Pope (or some other Philly stalwart, the identity of the individual fails me now) made reference to Hassaan being a rather high-strung individual in terms of temperment, and allusions were also made to substance use (which is not to be confused w/abuse, btw). So the guy doesn't sound like they type to come into the NYC scene from the outside, set up shop, and go about thriving, if you know what I mean. But Pope (or whoever) kind of gave the impression that there are private tapes of local sessions in Philly still exisiting. So...

I'd love to have been able to have heard this album in its time (released March, 1965). To today's ears, it might sound a little "no big dealish", but in 1965, I'd think the impact might have been more "in your face-ish". No matter - I myself hear a crackle, an immediacy of energy and purpose here that is about as vivid as I could imagaine, and that, more than any "stylistic" considerations is what continues to draw me to this album.

And would like Atlantic to issue the unreleased second album by Hasaan. This was recorded in August and September 1965 in New York with Odeon Pope, Art Davis and drummer Khalil Madi.

I'm afraid the tapes were destroyed by the devastating fire in Atlantic's tape vaults in 1974 like most other unissued material before 1970, except for the few items that happened to be in New York for some reason - that's were the few uinissued tracks of Coltrane, Coleman and others come from.

Bought the Hasaan album back then and have always loved it. The Elmo Hope relationship that Chuck mentioned is definitely there, but I also hear a strong kinship to Herbie Nichols (even if Hasaan didn't hear him much or at all) because the typical Hasaan and Nichols performance doesn't give you a tune first, then improvisation on the tune feel -- it's like the piece itself is omnipresent, a la the great stride players, but with a modern, semi-fractured sensibility that grows more fractured as Hasaan elaborates on the initial design. Admittedly, in Hassan's case, this can border on the oppressive/obssessive at times (which IMO is never the case with Nichols, with all his wit and humor), but I assume that's who Hasaan was. BTW, the Hasaan album is essential for Max admirers--he plays his ass off on it.

Admittedly, in Hassan's case, this can border on the oppressive/obssessive at times (which IMO is never the case with Nichols, with all his wit and humor), but I assume that's who Hasaan was.

That describes it very well, I think, and the reason why I dig this CD out only once in five years!

Bought the Hasaan album back then and have always loved it. The Elmo Hope relationship that Chuck mentioned is definitely there, but I also hear a strong kinship to Herbie Nichols (even if Hasaan didn't hear him much or at all) because the typical Hasaan and Nichols performance doesn't give you a tune first, then improvisation on the tune feel -- it's like the piece itself is omnipresent, a la the great stride players, but with a modern, semi-fractured sensibility that grows more fractured as Hasaan elaborates on the initial design. Admittedly, in Hassan's case, this can border on the oppressive/obssessive at times (which IMO is never the case with Nichols, with all his wit and humor), but I assume that's who Hasaan was. BTW, the Hasaan album is essential for Max admirers--he plays his ass off on it.

Interesting comments, Larry! I will keep them in mind when I pick the CD out of my shelf the next time.

What you say about Roach is very true! Forgive me the sacrilegeous comparison, but what Roach plays is like 40 minutes constant "Un poco loco"... terrific (as he always is)!

ubu

I understand that this is a silly question but can someone please tell me the proper title of this release and who issued it? This is the third time in a month that it has come up in conversation and I'm beginning to get curious. Especially, since Hassan (apparently) played in a style not unlike Elmo Hope.

Thanks as always.

That cover photo is credited to 'Laurence Fink'. As Larry Fink, the photographer became one of the best and most representative of the New York photographers' scene.

Atlantic Records knew how to pick the right photographers for their album covers. So many great Lee Friedlander photos illustrate their LPs.

That cover photo is credited to 'Laurence Fink'. As Larry Fink, the photographer became one of the best and most representative of the New York photographers' scene.

Atlantic Records knew how to pick the right photographers for their album covers. So many great Lee Friedlander photos illustrate their LPs.

Yes, I'm a big fan of Friedlander's photos! The ones in the Coltrane and Ornette Atlantic box sets are marvellous!

Guess there would be some in the various nice Rhino 2CD Anthologies, too (I did never pick up one of them, as I tend to have more than half of what's included if the artist interests me - Mingus, Eddie Harris come to mind).

ubu