Now reading...

Spent a lot of time traveling and sitting in hospital waiting rooms this week; read three books.

Hope everything's okay.

I started rereading Joe Haldeman's Worlds trilogy this week; I lost one of the books years ago and finally picked it up so I could do so.

51mcW45GhoL._SS500_.jpg

One of two authors I've always wanted to try but never seem to find, along with Effinger.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not as interesting as one might think. It's sort of schizophrenic, not cohesive. An overview of the "re-emergence tour" of '74 with The Band, with a sprinkling of rabbinic and extra-rabbinic thought to prop up a rather flimsy argument that Dylan is really following a Jewish singer/poet tradition with more intent than I believe likely.

Thanks for the review, and ditto to what The Moose has to say.

I was traveling to Ohio to be with my folks for four days centered around a partial mastectomy performed on my mom due to the discovery of a cancerous lump.

All that went well, but now she faces four weeks of radiation, possibly followed by chemotherapy. The whole situation has been pretty stressful for my Dad. He had some stroke like symptoms a few weeks ago, that ultimately they don't believe was a stroke; he was at the hospital with my Mom for her last pre-operative appointment when it happened. They're both 79. This is going to be a pretty tough time. My previous experience with cancer care has made it rather hard for me to be hopeful and positive. . . but I'm doing my best.

One of two authors I've always wanted to try but never seem to find, along with Effinger.

I like Effinger a lot, especially his trilogy When Gravity Fails/A Fire in the Sun/The Exile Kiss. They've slowly been putting a lot of his short stories back in print in various collections, but they almost never show up used (and/or cheap), but they should be at larger libraries (or could be requested through ILL).

Arnaldur Indridason: Arctic Chill

Read that myself a couple of weeks back. Unbelievably bleak!

Really enjoyed this tale of a relationship with its stresses and strains over the 90s:

412YWkALHlL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Just started the fourth of Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie novels:

51A2b5oaCgL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Think they are filming or TVising the first (Case Histories).