Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

510Hr3Xfy4L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The 2nd novel in Mishima's "Sea of Fertility" tetralogy. Perhaps not quite up to the mark of his Spring Snow, but clearly a major effort from Mishima. It's fascinating, if disturbing, to watch Mishima engage with the subject of ritual suicide (seppuku), knowing that's how he ended his own life. 

51ty6xJ8PlL.jpg

I used to enjoy watching Hitchens on America TV; his witty repartee (even when he was wrong) was refreshing in an often anodyne cultural landscape. His relatively early passing was unfortunate. The memoir is interesting, occasionally amusing, and occasionally plodding. I wonder if he's remembered even now?

42 minutes ago, Leeway said:

51ty6xJ8PlL.jpg

I used to enjoy watching Hitchens on America TV; his witty repartee (even when he was wrong) was refreshing in an often anodyne cultural landscape. His relatively early passing was unfortunate. The memoir is interesting, occasionally amusing, and occasionally plodding. I wonder if he's remembered even now?

We still hear a great deal about him in this country. Usually disapproval from my favorite media outlets.

Just wrapped up Fontane's On Tangled Paths.  I have to say, it is laughably conflict-free. 

(SPOILERS follow.)

Aristocrat starts affair with seamstress.  She tells him it is all wonderful, but she knows it won't last long.  His family pressures him to marry a wealthy cousin.  He does so, but every now and then pines for the girl he left behind.  The end.

I get that the novel was daring in its time, but everybody acts so sensibly and they all follow the roles/rules society expects and imposes upon them, that it is rather boring, I'm afraid.

I have a bit more to go with Jefferson's Notes on the State of Virginia, and then on to Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom.

On 2/26/2017 at 10:31 AM, Matthew said:

The Ambassadors by Henry James.

775366.jpg

Love this book.

On 2/26/2017 at 1:37 PM, BillF said:

28703._UY475_SS475_.jpg

I always find DeLillo since White Noise readable, though the best IMO remain the ones on my bookshelf: White Noise, Libra, Mao II and above all Underworld.

Still have to read Underworld.  Don't know why I haven't.  The others you cited are indeed superlative.