Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About 1/3 through Dawn Powell's A Time to Be Born.  Still quite entertaining, though I think Turn, Magic Wheel is a bit tighter overall.

Should wrap up Morrison's Sula fairly soon as well.

I'm reading Eiseley's books in a somewhat random order.  Finished The Immense Journey yesterday and will launch into The Night Country probably in a week or so.  Also, put a few Wendell Berry essay collections on hold at the library.

81P4tRsFnGL.jpg

Today I've finally finished this. It's a fat read (716 pages) wich marks the end of the misadventures of DEA special agent Art Keller in his fight against drugs and finally against the War on Drugs. So as Winslow himself admits, this is a trilogy together with The Power of the Dog and The Cartel, which I've both read. His last novel, The Force, is the one I liked least, perhaps because it changed his familiar terrain of the fight against drugs and cartels to the police force of NYC.

Continued straight away with this:

9788492388431-es.jpg

Jazz in Barcelona 1920-1965. Jordi Pujol is the head of Fresh Sound, so he knows what he's talking about.

My second Jack Parlabane novel from Christopher Brookmyre. A bit too much Scots dialect in the first one, "Country of the Blind," for my taste -- the setting is Glasgow -- but otherwise quite good, excellent political hugger mugger. The second I've tried/am trying is "Dead Girl Walking," which initially has a rock world setting. Parlabane is a semi-scrupulous investigative journalist whose career and life have gone all to hell after a frame up but who still possesses his old skills. Brookmyre, himself a former journalist, has a shrewd sense of what can be gathered from responses in the course of a seemingly normal interview.

3 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

81P4tRsFnGL.jpg

Today I've finally finished this. It's a fat read (716 pages) wich marks the end of the misadventures of DEA special agent Art Keller in his fight against drugs and finally against the War on Drugs. So as Winslow himself admits, this is a trilogy together with The Power of the Dog and The Cartel, which I've both read. His last novel, The Force, is the one I liked least, perhaps because it changed his familiar terrain of the fight against drugs and cartels to the police force of NYC.

Continued straight away with this:

9788492388431-es.jpg

Jazz in Barcelona 1920-1965. Jordi Pujol is the head of Fresh Sound, so he knows what he's talking about.

The Border was great.

I don't know about Jazz En Barcelona.

2 hours ago, Brad said:

He’s written some interesting books. 

I really like his Walt Whitman's America, and I want to read soon his book on John Brown, as that is a figure I've always been fascinated with, I have even toyed with the idea of reading Russell Banks novel Cloudsplitter, despite divergent reviews of the book I've read.

24 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I really like his Walt Whitman's America, and I want to read soon his book on John Brown, as that is a figure I've always been fascinated with, I have even toyed with the idea of reading Russell Banks novel Cloudsplitter, despite divergent reviews of the book I've read.

His one on Harriet Beecher Stowe was pretty good as was his one on early American history.